1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Rise of One by checkerboard.paint - Worm

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Oz, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Title: The Rise of One
    Author: checkerboard.paint
    Rating: T
    Genre: Alternate Universe
    Fandom: Worm
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Things don't go as planned after the Echidna fight. Hell, they don't even try to follow the script after Taylor's identity was revealed. But everything truly falls apart when the Simurgh comes to Brockton Bay. Canon divergence/AU
    Link: FFN

I've been enjoying this the last few weeks. Pacing might be a bit slow for some people, but update rate is pretty steady and I'm liking the interactions between Taylor and the others.

4/5 atm, but I'll probably raise that to a 5/5 if the quality stays this good.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Definitely well written, but time will tell how good this will get. I still don't know where it's going, but I hope to know soon.

4/5.

3. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Too early to really rate it, but I'm loving it so far. Interaction between the characters has been good. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Taylor gets aged up with an additional year of bullying (and torture). For reasons. This plot point just really grates on my nerves, like aging HP up grating or villager-torture child Naruto grating.

Other than that, well-written and character interaction has been a joy to read, but feels too early to rate. Tentative 3.5/5, rounding up to 4/5.

Dye
  5. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Yeah the fics alright if a bit boring but tbh I find the additional torture she went though to be a bit weird. I mean I already thought the bullying in canon was ridiculous but the extra stuff the author does to her is beyond reason. Like people said, I don't see the reason for it, it's seemed to have no impact on taylor besides a bit of body horror.
    3/5

6. Oz

New chapter dropped. Nice mix of action and dialogue between Taylor and Weld.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Read this today and wow, I loved this so much. The atmosphere and tone, especially the way fights are structured make this feel so much like Worm, save with character interactions and dialog.

What is pulling this down, however, is the, as of now, seemingly arbitrary changes to things that happened in the past, Taylor's suffering and what happened with Purity and so on.

I don't know, it felt really unnecessary to me. Having Miss Militia, Clockblocker, Kid Win, Vista, Weld and Skitter fight for their survival on this strange earth whilst having to interact is plenty of exiting already, I don't see how these changes make it more interesting. if anything, they confuse the reader in a bad way, in an irritating way.

So, docking points for that but still

4/5

8. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This updated a couple days ago and boy, what a chapter.

The lead up as Taylor and Weld search the village was creepy and only made it more horrifying when the chaos started. Miss Militia and Kid Win are MIA, and judging by the exploding gore trees, might have been killed. It was a great moment when Weld chose to leave Vista and save Taylor instead, and I’m sure a lot of conflict will occur due to this choice.

But Jesus, those gore trees.
    I just noticed that this story is labelled Adventure/Romance in the FFnet summary. I wish more Romances were like this.

9. Oz

Hoooooly moly that was tense. I reread what's there today and I think this might be my favourite worm fic. Not cliched, good atmosphere and character interactions, engaging mystery, and solidly written.

10. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This fic is amazing, it looks like it's abandoned now but its still one of the better worm fics I've read. I wish it had more, but its still a solid 4/5. I didn't mind the body horror being changed up all that much since I figured it was later supposed to tie up to something else. If it was longer, I would've bumped it to 5/5. I liked the Weld and Taylor dynamic and the last chapter, woah.

It's definitely well-written, the strange earth mystery and the atmosphere it had was epic. I wish I hadn't missed out on reading this earlier. My bad if the review isn't enough for bumping up.

11. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

The Rise of One has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 80,973
    Updated: 2020-11-21 07:42:56 UTC
    Published: 2016-02-05 09:01:38 UTC
    Previously updated: almost 4 years ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.