1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

How did you start playing video games?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Vascudo, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Vascudo

Vascudo First Year

Ah,most of us have good memories playing the Nintendo/Sega/Playstation/X-Box/PC/Whatever,
    But how did your Hobby/Addiction start?
    For me, I was at a neighbors house, when I saw my friend playing MegaMan.
    I got to try and was instantly hooked. I got a NES the Christmas 1991.
    Remember kids, whining to your parents DOES WORK!:cool:

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I started with PC 286 (AT) back in 1991/1992 and stayed on PC ever since. My first game? I think it was Alley Cat, a simple platform game with CGA graphics and pc speaker sound.

3. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

the classic super mario bros/duckhunt. good memories shooting ducks with the orange gun.

4. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Same as chronic but I also played donkey kong country which I remember playing incessantly.

5. li.u

li.u Fourth Year

hmm...my parents bought me a SNES for apparently no reason (no birthday, no christmas, no whining...i didn't even want it back then...it just appeared one day =/). i started with mario and it instantly got me hooked on the whole thing. strangely, today i hate nintendo and everything even remotely associated with mario & co...

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

When I was 3... I played the Atari a lot. I really liked Pong. I wasn't very addicted to them then though.

When I was 5.. I recieved the Sega Gensis with Sonic the Hedgehog. I loved playing that game as well as a game called Mercs. Madden 94 was fun. I still wasnt addicted.

It wasnt until I recieved a computer at age 10 and got Starcraft; that I got addicted. a downloadable german MMORPG.. one of the first of these, called Tibia didn't help that addiction either.

7. Xenon

Xenon Professor

Hmm. don't remember the year, but River City Ransom was my first game. Is this fun yet?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  8. Project Dark Overlord

Project Dark Overlord First Year

Fond memories of Duck Hunter on the Ninetendo, later Donkey Kong Country on the Super, and the on the 64 there was Star Fox and GoldenEye 007. They were all so addictive.

9. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

You've got to understand a bit of my backstory to understand how I could be hooked from such an early age.

My father was one of the first generations of Computer Scientists to come off the university chopping block. As a result, back then, he was keeping up with everything, pretty much - which mean that we had a Granny Mac, then a 286, 386... etc.... I've had an opportunity to game since I was 2 years old, and I was encouraged to do so when I was 3 (ahh, the times, how they change).

Anyways, the first couple of games we had were the ones that weren't installed on the hard drive. The first couple we had were on Bernoulli drives, fat suckers of disks (think laptop sized). The next were on floppies - the first game I remember playing was One Must Fall, by Epic Megagames. That's still such a fun game. That hooked me easily, but what really cemented the relationship was Lucasarts' TIE Fighter. That game is gold, still.

10. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

first game i played was on PC in 94 or 95 cant remember it was called commander keen, then i got hooked, played the 2, 3 and 4th. fun game.

11. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

i still remember waking up on christmas all those years ago and getting a super nintendo with a note from "santa." Back than i never thought that it was odd that my relatives were all in contact with "santa" and that it was weird that my aunt got me a sega game.

12. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

sega saturn in 94 or 95, sonic was first game and then some awesome hockey game that i still occasionally play, its like cardboard figures and i got a 100 goals in a 60 min game : )

13. DemonDream

DemonDream Professor

Your closet. Please clean it, I can't move.
    The first game I ever played was Joust on the Atari. Then a few years later, my dad got me a sega genesis, and since then I have been playing any game that catches my interest.

14. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

007 Goldeneye. I played it at a friends house, begged my parents without mercy for a N64, and finally got it on Christmas. It's still a very fun game, especially since the "hidden" passages are clearly outlined as different from their surroundings. :D

15. HiddenETC

HiddenETC Second Year

When I was younger, my family had a party every Saturday with some friends, where I got to play the N64 for hours. Probably started from that.

16. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Good god I'm old! In the early 80's I actually had a little console unit that hooked into a Black and White tv and played Pong! Hours of Pong! (It also had a soccer and a hockey game on it.)

The neighbor got an Atari 2600, yeah baby! Those were the days...

For the most part I remember when Video games required you to go to an arcade.

I feel old.

Jim

17. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I played many different games but none hooked me till I found Final Fantasy 7 I have been hooked to RPG's ever since.

18. Masked Critic

Masked Critic Backtraced

You ain't the only one feeling old. Jesus christ, I never realized how many youngsters we had here! I can vaguely remember playing Duck Hunt/Mario Bros. way back in '89, I think. I would've been 3. I can also remember my sister getting the Special Gold cartridge Zelda for a birthday or christmas. As of last year (or maybe earlier this year) our old NES still worked. Have to beat it like a drum first, but we could STILL play Duck Hunt and Gauntlet.

Good times, good times.

Can also remember renting Final Fantasy 3/6 for the first time. Took me HOURS to figure out how to get up the central building in Zozo the first time. That's what hooked me on RPGs.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  19. silvananoir

silvananoir First Year

It was the very early 90's, don't remember how old I was exactly. But I do remember having tetris on the original gameboy. The I got Mario and it progressed from there. What really got me into gaming was the Link to the past for Super Nintendo. If it wasn't for that game, I wouldn't have the consoles I do now.

20. The Hungry Basilisk

The Hungry Basilisk Raptured to Hell

Yeah! For me it was playing Sonic the Hedgehog on my brother's Saga Megadrive and the odd game of Super Mario Brothers on the ol' Nintendo 64.
    I had a go on an ancient Atari once too, but they were before my time...Honest!
    Remember the nez?
    Thank the Gods that man soon invented the XBOX, PS2 and Gameboy Advance for our gaming experiance.
    P.S, Did anyone else have a Dreamcast?