1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Overwatch Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by M.L., Aug 22, 2016.

1. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Has anyone thought about an overwatch fic yet? I know a good deal of players on this sote are players and the world certainly seems ripe for exploration, although perhaps it is not yet fleshed out enough. The final battle of the crusaders as seen in the Last Bastion seems like an interesting story in particular. An out numbered army of techno-knights and regular soldiers, defending Stuttgart against a massive army of robots. The doomed last stand of heroes.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Made notes about writing some Mercy related stuff, see a lot of potential in her character. What with her position in Overwatch, her personal beliefs and how that clashes, especially now, after Overwatch failed for a lot of the reasons that she had feared and stood against.

Can imagine for a fantastic scene with her and Torbjörn, who initially seemed to be on the opposite site, where he kinda liked building weapons for all the good they could do whereas Mercy was against it, seeing how easily it could be abused. Now, Torb spent years trying to find and deactivate weapons and stuff that he built that was stolen and used by assholes, I can't help but wonder if that means he changed his position and now sees things more from Mercy's side. Kinda imagine that those two were not that fond of each other for that initially but then again, they have a Halloween photo together.

Ana Amari is also a great character, you have an experienced soldier who faked her death to continue the fight in secret but also took up healing. Then there is the fact that she seems hard and pragmatic but seeing that she never wished for her daughter to fight the same fights, to never become a soldier simply for the reason that they would make it so that the world didn't need soldiers again, speaks of a naivety, optimism and arrogance that must clash horribly with her daily jobs and her interaction with others.

Those are just a few things and yeah, waiting for at least all the shorts and comics to come out for every character before doing something too big.

The setting is truly interesting and all, and I agree, there can be fantastic stuff written on things that happened but really, I'm here for the characters in these situations.

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The only one I'm currently reading is a romance(ish) thing between Sym and Junkrat. It's amusing, has decent length updates, and the characters are definitely distinct. I'm not massively into the lore, but it doesn't seem horrifically 'out there'. Also, it is set around Winston recalling everyone, so more characters come in every chapter or two.

But currently, there isn't much Overwatch stuff. ~760 on ff.net (and only a few less in English), and ~3300 on Ao3 (but I know how some people feel about that site). If they were all on FF, then it'd be #30 in the Games category, so it isn't as bad as it could be, I guess.

Also, I can now completely see the issue with Ao3. With no filters, the front page of Overwatch includes
    - Mermaid AU Junkrat/Roadhog.
    - Junkrat/Roadhog whimsy about snow angels
    - Torbjorn/Reinhardt vore
    and the rest doesn't look completely awful...

The problem is that the lore isn't really explained in the 'core' of the series. I mean, you play a pokemon game, and you get a decent enough understanding of the setting, how the world works, and so on. You read the Harry Potter series, and you know enough about the setting to have arguments about how it works on the internet.

You play several hours of Overwatch, and you get vague hints to background through character voice lines - Symmetra dislikes chaos; Soldier and Ana are old, and know each other from a while back; Reinhardt is also old (why he can't charge up stairs),Widowmaker is French, Junkrat hates robots...

But you don't get all the whys - I mean, the Omnium and the explosion in the Aussie outback are why Junkrat and Roadhog look like something out of Mad Max, and why they hate robots. But then you have to look up what the Omnium is, and why Omnics are different to other robots. You can get this through wikiwalking, the comics, and the videos, but you have to go beyond the actual thing itself to get them.

4. Triliro

Triliro Second Year

High Score:
    That and the entire Overwatch fanbase seems to be perpetually horny if the amount of rule34 stuff is anything to go by.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've wanted to do a Big Hero 6 x OW xover for a while. Just the thought of writing Hiro/d.Va makes me giggle and San Fransokyo seems like it could have been ripped right out of the OW world.

Then I found out there was an OW graphic novel coming out April next year. Might wait until I read that so I have a better grasp of the characters...

6. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

Huh I would've assumed you'd be writing a tracer fic.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You don't write fiction about your wife, that's just weird.

8. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Ive been looking into some ow stuff lately and found a series of one shots like the mass effect fic Interstitium or whatever it was called. Mostly just characters interacting and even weird ones like DVa/Bastion, Mercy/Roadhog along with obvious ones like Phara/Ana and Genji/Zenyatta.