PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Americanism

mielterron
01-12-2007, 12:31 PM
The following statments are both my opinions and others that I have read over time, If you could comment , flame or add to them (Intelligently) that would be nice.

Anti-Americanism is nice and all but Western Europeans would not have been able to maintain their lifestyle if not for America,(I'm talking about the Soviet era). And now that the Soviets are gone you fear America and you say that Americans are stupid. While you are accurate to some degree, no other nation is as open to people of color, other relegions than the United States. If American naivete is the reason I'm all for stupid america.

But rising nations like China and India rarely complain about US actions unless it directly involves them because they understand the balancing power that the US provides them. CIA now predicts that they are the countries that matter, there is no single military power other than the US that would be able to go head to head in a traditional war with them and either draw or win. The EU cannot decide domestic matters much less international war. Nato might be able to do some but it requires overhaul. The UN is a nice little forum to insult each other.

Many analysts now realize that Russia is once more a serious threat to WE, Putin chokes oil whenever he wants the world to support him in one way or another, Russian defence spending is around 50 billion dollars. It poses a serious threat, probably the most serious in the long term. If the Chinese buy into Putin's megalomania we can expevt WW3.

Mordecai
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
One has to wonder at the point of this thread, it just seems like flame baiting to me, or is it just when a Non-American complains about America its taken that way?

The reason for anti-americanism is, unlike you seem to think, not because we fear you because you are "da shiz" or anything of that description, it is because the majority of America comes across as completely ignorant of other cultures.

I'm not going to stand here and say that all American's are stupid or ignorant, Giovanni amongst others here disproves that quite blatantly, however, the vast majority know very little about other countries in the world, have appear to most folk to have very little will to learn.

It doesn't help your cause you Bush, at least in Britain, near ties with Blair for unpopularity. The fact that your countries leader was so stupid and ignorant as to think that Wales, a country in its own right, was part of the US, really says a lot. A lot of Americans seem to think that the Western World functions just like America, and that it wouldn't be able to survive without the influx of American culture that we must suffer. Thats completely and utterly wrong.

You say that no country is as open to people of colour or religion as the United States (forgetting completely of course the KKK, who I believe are one of the most powerful and possibly largest racist organisations in the world), that as far as I'm concerned is because the US has very little cultural identity. Your country was created by Europeans moving to settle there. So your culture was at first a hodge podge of different cultures, which didn't allow a unique cultural identity to emerge before all the political correctness started.

Every European country has a long history, through which has been created a strong and specific culture. American's don't seem to understand this. I know of one American who seemed to think there was nothing wrong with offering to buy a centuries old castle, full of history, to renovate it with all the latest gadgets and use it as a holiday home. No one in Scotland, no matter how rich, would be dream of suggesting that, it just goes against the grain basically. We may not seem to be as open to people of different colours or religions, but that is only the case when they do not try to fit in with our culture. In most cases it is simply cultures clashing that causes problems. If, like America, there is no really distinct culture to speak of, then that problem does not exist.

Taure
01-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Anti-Americanism is nice and all but Western Europeans would not have been able to maintain their lifestyle if not for America, (I'm talking about the Soviet era).

This is in the past. If you go back long enough, you can say that Americans wouldn't have been able to maintain their lifestyle if not for Europeans. The vast majority of Americans are European in descent. It could be argued that America wouldn't even be independent if not for the French helping them out.

While you are accurate to some degree, no other nation is as open to people of color, other religions than the United States.

Actually, the U.S.A. is not only one of the most racist countries in the western world, but its immigration controls are notoriously hard to get through.

If American naivete is the reason I'm all for stupid america.

Judging by your spelling, I can see why:p

But rising nations like China and India rarely complain about US actions unless it directly involves them because they understand the balancing power that the US provides them.

China is always complaining of U.S. actions - Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, Tibet - these are (or have been) all touchy subjects.

CIA now predicts that they are the countries that matter, there is no single military power other than the US that would be able to go head to head in a traditional war with them and either draw or win

Thats nice...several things wrong with that statement:

1. The CIA also thought there were WMDs in Iraq.
2. There doesn't need to be a single military power - ganging up on people is extremely effective.
3. Traditional war doesn't matter - if world politics had deteriorated to such a state that we went to war with China then nuclear strikes would definitely be on the table.
4. Lets look at recent American military actions shall we? Korea, Vietnam, Iraq. All disasters for American forces. Your supposed military strength isn't looking very good right now is it? You won the Gulf, but had to come back decades later to finish the job off, so it wasn't really a comprehensive victory.
5. We should be trying to avoid military war anyway.

The EU cannot decide domestic matters much less international war

Have you looked at your own domestic matters recently? Bush is in charge, the country is full of religious fundamentalists, and the U.S. economy is on the verge of collapse.

The UN is a nice little forum to insult each other.

The UN is what its members make it. If members obeyed the UN mandates, then the UN would be an effective organization. It's only because of members like the U.S. flouting what they're told to do which makes it so ineffective.

Many analysts now realize that Russia is once more a serious threat to WE, Putin chokes oil whenever he wants the world to support him in one way or another, Russian defence spending is around 50 billion dollars. It poses a serious threat, probably the most serious in the long term. If the Chinese buy into Putin's megalomania we can expevt WW3.

Russia is indeed becoming a larger threat, but I fail to see what this has to do with anti-Americanism. China will never buy into "Putin's megalomania" though - the two countries have never got on well, mostly due to their different brands of communism. Russia is still also far from becoming a serious threat: their military is strong, but their economy is still far inferior to Western economics powers.

Personally, I quite like America. It is my hope to one day visit, if not move to America (though getting a green card would be hell lol).

As for anti-Americanism in general, I feel that it is statements like these that fuel it:

Western Europeans would not have been able to maintain their lifestyle if not for America...

...you fear America

...there is no single military power other than the US that would be able to go head to head in a traditional war with them and either draw or win.

The EU cannot decide domestic matters much less international war.

The UN is a nice little forum to insult each other.

In general, people don't like arrogance.

Master Slytherin
01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
We've already had one transatlantic war...locked.

Antivash
01-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I just want to thank you for posting this. I cant TELL you how much it makes me happy to see idiotic arrogant children ruining the worlds opinion of America.

Midknight
01-13-2007, 12:56 AM
The vast majority of Americans are European in descent. It could be argued that America wouldn't even be independent if not for the French helping them out.

We paid them back by sacrificing thousands of men to free their sorry asses in the war, so that they could hate us and bitch about everything american for all time. Fuck France. That is all.