PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarism of my fic @ FF.net

Avitus
12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
I was just reading a story from one of my favourite crossover authors, knightblazer85, and read this passage

Dear Harry,

If you are reading this now, you’ve just turned five and we are dead. We fear it may have been at the hands of Lord Voldemort. This letter will only be sent to you if you have been placed with your Aunt Petunia, ignoring our last wishes. This letter is tell you the truth, that Peter Pettigrew was our secret keeper not Sirius Black. Harry we love you, stay with Padfoot and Moony. No matter what may happen we are always proud of you.

Love Forever and Always,

Mum and Dad.

In that instant he remembered that day. He had long since given up on Uncle Padfoot or Uncle Moony coming for him, now he knew why.

For years he had wondered why they never came for him. But now he knew that Uncle Padfoot was in prison, all because dirty, smelly Wormtail was a traitor.

He began to run inside to tell Aunt Petunia that he found a way for her to get what she wanted when he heard a small pop behind him.

The older Harry leapt to his feet at the pop in time to see Dumbledore snatch the letter from the younger Harry’s hand and say “I’m sorry Harry, but you need to stay here. Obliviate” when the spell took effect Dumbledore said “Perhaps you should go back to your work my boy, your uncle would be angry if you weren’t finished”

Harry watched as the dazed boy stumbled back to the rose bushes and returned to his work before he slumped to his knees.

This is ALMOST IDENTICAL to a scene in one of my stories,

A six year old Harry sat in the back lawn of the Dursley’s home, when all of a sudden an owl swooped down in front of him dropping a letter in his lap. Opening it he began to read.

Dear Harry,

If you are reading this now, you’ve just turned six, and we are dead. We fear it may have been at the hands of Lord Voldemort. This letter is sent to you fearing that Sirius will be sent to Azkaban. Here we so state, that Peter Pettigrew was our secret keeper. Harry we love you, stay with Padfoot and Moony. No matter what may happen we are always proud of you.

Love Forever and Always,

Mom and Dad

Little Harry allowed a tear to fall, he had long since given up on Uncle Padfoot or Uncle Moony coming to get him, and now he knew why. For years he had wondered why they never came for him. But now he knew that Uncle Padfoot was in prison, all because nasty, smelly Wormtail was a traitor. He began to run inside to tell Aunt Petunia that he found a way to go back when he heard a small pop behind him; and heard a familiar voice say “I’m sorry Harry, but you need to stay here. Obliviate!” Everything went fuzzy as the tall man took the letter from him and leave him on the doorstep.

What do I do? :evil:

Avitus
12-09-2005, 10:35 PM
I just read onward, and HE TOOK MORE!

Scene was once again black and Harry found him self face to face with his eleven year old self.

“What’s going on?” he asked

“We’re trying to show you” the younger boy said “You need to see the full truth before you can move on. You need to understand”

Then the blackness was replaced by Diagon Alley in front of Madame Malkin’s

Harry watched his eleven year old self walk into the Robe shop.

In the back of the shop, a boy that Harry recognised as Draco Malfoy, but why were they showing him this, he remembered meeting Malfoy in the robe shop that day, why repeat it?

“You’ll get an answer soon” Kurando assured as Madam Malkin stood the younger Harry on a stool next to him, slipped a long robe over his head and began to pin it to the right length.

“Hullo” Draco said “Hogwarts too?”

“Yes” Harry replied, slightly nervous.

“Do you know what House you’ll be in? I think I’ll be in Slytherin, Ravenclaw might not be that bad though, my names Draco by the way, Draco Malfoy”

“My name’s Harry Potter” Harry replied “I don’t know what house I’ll be in”

“Really? Wow, it’s nice to meet you. Father says you live with Muggles is that true?”

“Yeah” Harry replied quietly “They’re not really the best of people though, they think wizards are freaks or something like that. I had to come here with Hagrid”

“Oh I’ve heard of him, bit of an oaf isn’t he? I heard he gets drunk every so often and sets fire to his hut”

“He probably does” Harry agreed “After we left Gringotts he went to the Leaky Cauldron for a ‘pick me up’”

“Not surprising” Draco muttered “Have you gotten your wand yet? My mother is down the road speaking to Olivander”

“No I haven’t, I think I’ll get that last today” Harry said as Draco’s robes were finished.

“All done Master Malfoy, your father asked me to send you along to Olivander’s when we were done here, run along now”

“Oh” Draco nodded as the robes were packed up “I’ll see you on the express then Harry”

“Bye Draco” Harry replied as his robes were finished and he went outside to meet Hagrid.
When Harry met Hagrid outside the bookshop he recounted his conversation with Draco Malfoy. Hagrid started to look around and pulled Harry into a small alley.

“Look, I’m sorry ‘bout this, but its Dumbledore’s orders, can't have ye mix’n with the wrong sorts” then Hagrid pointed his umbrella at Harry and said “Obliviate”

Another haze covered Harry’s eyes as he stumbled towards Olivander’s wands. Completely unaware of the new betrayal.

My original (story posted in April as opposed to his in July),

In the back of the shop, a boy with a pale, pointed face was standing on a footstool while a second witch pinned his long black robes. Madam Malkin stood Harry on a stool next to him, slipped a long robe over his head and began to pin it to the right length.

“Hullo,” said the boy, “Hogwarts too?”

“Yes,” said Harry, slightly nervous.

“Do you know what House you’ll be in? I think I’ll be in Slytherin, Ravenclaw might not be that bad though, my names Draco by the way, Draco Malfoy,”

“Hi, my name’s Harry Potter”

“Really? Wow, its nice to meet you. Father says you live with muggles is that true?”

“Erm, Yes, it is. They’re not really the best of people though. I had to come here with Hagrid, he’s the Gameskeeper at Hogwarts,”

“Oh I’ve heard of him, bit of an oaf isn’t he? I heard he gets drunk every so often and sets fire to his hut!”

“He may just do that, after we left Gringotts he went back to the Leaky Cauldron for a ‘pickme-up’”

“How awful! Have you gotten your wand yet? My mother is down the road speaking to Ollivander about her own, its been acting funny lately.”

“No, no I haven’t, I think I’ll get that last today,”

“All done Master Malfoy, your father asked me to send you along to Ollivanders when we were done here, run along now!” said the second witch as she packed up the finished robes.

“Oh well, I’ll see you on the express then Harry! Bye!”

“Bye Draco!”

When Harry met Hagrid again he recounted his conversation with Draco Malfoy. Hagrid started to look around and pulled Harry into a small alley.

“Look, I’m righ’ sorry ‘bout this, but its Dumbledore’s orders. Obliviate!”

Another haze covered Harry’s eyes as he stepped into Ollivanders, causing the old man to look suspiciously at Hagrid.

Now I'm really getting pissed off

Avitus
12-09-2005, 10:40 PM
HE TOOK THE LAST FECKING ONE AS WELL!! I'm not going to post the quotes again, you can see for yourselves!

PLAIGIARISED BULLSHIT (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2473542/7/)

(about a third of the way down it starts)

My story, scenes are at the end, in italics (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2364387/1/)

Midknight
12-10-2005, 12:02 AM
You can try to bitch @ ff.net to have it ripped down, but those fuckers never touched the idiot who blatantly ripped off my magical core explanation nearly word for word.

Do we know of any stories that have actualy been taken down due to plagerisism?

Narf
12-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Yes, I think Quillian's, or Craig, or Kraeg, or whatever the fuck it is got taken down.

Avitus
12-10-2005, 12:07 AM
I sent a message along to knightblazer, and if he doesnt reply, then i'll go to the ff.net admins. What a fucking bastard; I mean... how can you as an AUTHOR take someones work that is quite obviously identical and try to pass it off as your own.

Midknight
12-10-2005, 12:12 AM
Heh, the fun part is, you are in the same boat I was in review wise. Yours gets like a few dozen, maybe a hundred, the plagerizer's gets 10x+ that amount. Fucking ironic.

Avitus
12-10-2005, 12:18 AM
I really dont mind the amount of reviews I get, because rather than the ones he has which are "OMFG LIKE I LOVE YOUR STORY ITS GRETA OMGSH", the few that I get are generally long and intelligeble (i didnt spell that one right...dammit); its just that... who could have the fucking AUDACITY to do something like that... I have respect for all forms of literature and language, and to do something like this is completely disgusting to me.

ip82
12-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Hey, it's taken off! Eh, maybe he'll go and rip some other author...

Necrule Paen
12-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Wow, the admins over there did something right? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Narf
12-10-2005, 02:31 PM
The apocolypse will happen in the year 2012 according to the Bible Code. :roll:

Midknight
12-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow, the admins over there did something right? Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

I reported it for plagerisim right after I made my first post, didn't think they'd actually DO something about it. Nice one.

Avitus
12-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Wow thanks Mid, I didn't want the whole story gone though...I still liked it lol. Oh well... maybe it'll teach him a lesson.

ip82
12-10-2005, 04:34 PM
You should have checked with the author first and asked him to change it/remove it. We shouldn't act like those jerks who whine to admins as soon as they see something they don't like... Yes, this is different, what with plagiarism and all, but still...

Lord Ravenclaw
12-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Eh, after that blatant show of plagarism, I don't see a problem in having the story ripped down. If it was on PC, I would have terminated their account as well. After all, if Harry can fight fire with fire and AK a Deatheater, why not report a fic for blatent plagarism?

Avitus
12-10-2005, 05:42 PM
I did ask him to change it, I never wanted him taken off the site...*sigh*

That_Boy
12-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Just started your fic after reading this thread and saw that it hasn't been updated for a while. Are you planning on continuing it? It looks interesting.

Avitus
12-10-2005, 08:18 PM
of course...i'm just a little lazy and would rather spend my time watching tv rather than writing

Dark Syaoran
12-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Didn't like that guys story much anyway. Started off nicely but it got out of hand after awhile. Hope you continue with your story anyway, it's pretty good.

Midknight
12-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Wow thanks Mid, I didn't want the whole story gone though...I still liked it lol. Oh well... maybe it'll teach him a lesson.

Sorry if I stepped on your toes, but folks who do that, and so blatantly like he did, literally make me see red.

Didn't actually think the admins would bother to do anything, we may have seen the first logical action from FF.nuts in god knows how long. I'd find it hard to believe one brief half assed written complaint from me got it yanked, either others here did it also, or it's been reported multiple times.

Spacks
12-19-2005, 04:40 AM
I really hate authors who plagiarise.

Well done for reporting it.