1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

An idea, needs constructive critisism.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sepanto, Dec 14, 2005.

?

Is it worth writing?

1. Yes

99.4%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Get the fuck away from the keyboar before we spew.

0.6%
  1. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

A 4 years old harry finds a snake whilst weeding the garden, the snakes talks to him, and tells him ABIT on the wizarding world. a few weeks later harry sees the snake again, snake intrdocues himself, and turns to be a snakess(aka female snake). The snake-ess teaches harry some pureblood etiques and basic magic, and as such making a non-complete fool when Hogwarts letter arrives. when the letter arrives, a Durmstrang letter also arrives. Karkoff and Snape meet at Harry's each one thinking to take him away. Seeing that Snape needs to maintain his loyal-to-the-dark-lord cover he is forced to let harry go to Durmstrang, and harry leaves to bulgaria.
    This is as far as i have planned.[/u]

2. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    The idea's itself is pretty good, mainly cause going to durmstrang's a pretty original idea. Decent idea to explore.

3. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Sounds interesting. I would start to read the fic anyway if I saw this in the summary (counting on the word slash can’t be found in the summary).

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't think that Durmstrong is in Bulgaria. In book 4 Krum and his pals had almost sub-polar equipment and they kept complaining how cold is there. Bulgaria has continental climate, meaning cold winters (from 0 to -20C) and warm summers (up to 30-40C). It just doesn't seem cold enough for all that fuss.

Also, note that Krum was talking about wast icy wastelands, where they could fly their brooms freely. Another clue is that they had arrived on a ship, indicating that there is an open water nearby.

If you look for a place with such characteristics (very cold, vast uninhabited wilderness, eastern block, icy open water) the perfect choice would be Siberia. Place Durmstrong on the Syberian shore of the north polar sea and you can do no wrong.

Just a suggestion. Good idea otherwise.

5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Yeah Siberia is a good choice although I would revise it to the islands off of Siberia in the Artic because if it was along the coast then dogsleding would be how they get to it and not by a ship.

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i really like this idea, especially Durmstrang on the Island.

One thing though, Karkaroff has already betrayed the DE's, so why would he care if snape had or not. :?:

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, Snape had also testified against DE's. Dumbledore had officially announced him as his spy and saved him from Azkaban (I think it's book 4 but I'm not sure...). So, he wouldn't need to keep a charade of working for the dark lord.

8. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I like the idea, just a word to the wise, I have a friend whose family owns a 'castle' in siberia, only one or two stories are above ground, the rest is below ground.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, that makes sense. But I was thinking more of a huge magically heated cave on the northern sea (with that old ship staying in the harbour). Imagine a pirate cove caught in the ice age. Of course, there is land access, for quidditch and stuff. Remember, the location of that school is top secret.

10. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

hey how come i dont own a castle... :?

11. Necrule Paen

I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if the ship was their dorms? I just envisioned that their school is split into two campuses with one half are classes taught in the Fall/Winter and the other half in the spring/summer with the Quidditch pitch at the second campus because Quidditch during the winter of Siberia? I don't think so. This results in the ship sailing between the two campuses during the summer and Christmas breaks, but no extra moving on the students part.

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The snake bit is overdone, and always him happening upon a snake who knows of the magical world is a bit irritating. Unless the animals world wide have some sort of collective memory, it's not even close to believable he'd chance across a magical snake. Now if you make the snake something that perhaps a death eater charmed to find Harry and attack him or something, and Harry talks to it convincing it to leave him be, then maybe that'd work. Make him like 7 or 8 though, 4 is way too young to be plotting, or even understanding what you're talking about.

I brought up the idea of Harry going to Durmstrang and being taken under Krum's wing a few days ago, I'd like to see it done relativley well. I simply say that, b/c of what we see of Karkaroff(sp?) he's a coward. You'd have to go making a ton of OC's, so the suggestion of Krum would make at least a mentor role easy to fill. I agree with the others stick him somewhere really cold, outside of Bulgaria.

13. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I hope someone takes this up. Like I said the other day, I'm looking for stories that Harry goes to another school at age 11.

14. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

I am now planning this, would someone like to be my beta?

P.s 100 messages.

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't mind being a beta for you. The story sounds interesting so I would be more than willing.

I speak proper english, not american so you wouldn't have to worry about me correcting things into american, and I can be relied on to change things from american into english.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I agree with Midknight there, accidently meeting a snake who happens to know all about wizarding world seems like a streach to me.

Not to mention that snakes shouldn't be smart enough to understand things like magic and wizarding bloodlines etc (something I'd mentioned in my story). Hell, I'm pretty smart myself and I know only basic things about snakes. Why would simple animals like snakes be any different regarding their knowledge about humans?

Good alternate way to introduce Harry with Wizarding world would be for him to accidently meet some wizard who recognizes him and blab about magical world (remember, no one could beleive that Harry didn't know about his heretage in year 1). You could have someone like Creevy blab all he knows about magical world in exchange for an authogram.

Or maybe a kid of an ex death eater he makes friends with (so he learns how Durmstrong is way better than Hogwarts but much harder too...). You could then do something like Harry escaping Private Drive and traveling over Europe on his quest to find Durmstrong (with Dumbles on his trail to send him back to Hogwarts). Something like how Harry finds Arken in 'A New Chance At Life'.

17. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Personally, I'm partial to the idea of a special "magical" familiar that could guide Harry in. Cliche? Probably, but I prefer it to just another normal wizard or witch. The reason being it's basically (to me) trading Dumbledore for another manipulator. After all, why would another normal wizard/witch not exploit even his/her connection with the boy who lived....yeah I'm a pessimist. :p

The best is if the author pulls a Fayr Warning. *Harry pops open a history book... and sees Harry Potter: Boy Who Lived* => absolutely beautiful...

18. Necrule Paen

I agree about the book thing. You can have it as something as simple as a Wizard accidently dropping the lastest book of Voldemort's rise and fall, the person who writes it has a Dark bias and there you go, Harry is introduced to the wizarding world with a Dark bent, the book praises Durmstrang so Harry applies to it when he is eleven and declines his Hogwarts letter or never bothers to try and read once he figures out which school it represents.

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, the Dursleys force him to work in an antiquary shop (and steal all the pay for themselves). In there, he finds a discarded copy of "The greatest wiches and wizards" (that some wizard had lost in the Muggle world and the owner had found and decided to keep it for the unusual parchment etc.). In the book, he learns all about wizarding world and finds his name in the end.

Oh yes, no one noticed that part before coz no one had read it, thanks to Muggle-reppelant charm on it (as soon as Muggles try to read it, they feel an urge to drop it and do something else).

EDIT

Even better, make it a Russian version of the book. Having nothing better to do, Harry finds an English/Russian dictionarry and slowly learns Russian, so he could read the book.

The book, being Soviet, speaks about Durmstrong and dark magic in very pro-biased way (remember, it's comunism). It don't even mention any other (filthy capitalistic) schools out there. So Harry decides he wants to learn more about magic and figures that Durmstrong is the best (only)place to do it. He escapes Private Drive and travels to Siberia (trans-Syberian railroad, great place for fiction) to apply to the school.

This also solves the problem of foreign language - I don't think that a school in Eastern Block would be taught in english of all languages. And those spells that makes you learn a language in a week are just lame-arse shortcuts and very unrealistic (why would anyone go to school then when you can learn anything with a spell?).

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is something I've heralded before, the kid has CONSTANT run ins with wizards in canon before he knew about the magical world according to book 1. Strange dressed folks running up to him and shaking his hand, or bowing to him, then vanishing, etc.

I'm using it as a focal point of Harry's argument that he was never safe, nor his location @ Privet dr. a secret since everyone seemingly knew where he was, but I can see how it could very, very easily be used as a jump off point for a AU.

Could even have Karkoff/someone overhearing about Harry's location from one of Harry's frequent visitors and they go and get him.