1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts of building a computer...

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

In the next 3-5 months, I plan to build my own computer from the ground up. While doing research, I found that the options are endless in regrades to building a computer. I have never built one before and I was hoping to get an idea on the type of Components that I am going to need.

Seeing how it is my first time, should I go with a "barebones" kit that tigerdirect sells? Or should I go for the whole experience? I don't plan to spend much more than 2500 dollars on the complete package. I would prefer it to be much less, around 1000 dollars if possible, but I am trying to build it to last. I will spend the money if I have a good reason to, but it will take a while to complete it the higher the price tag is.

I know that I have posted a question about Windows Vista, but I want to ask a question about O.S in general. What is Linux? I have heard about it in passing, but never really paid it much mind. Would I still be able to run the games I am currently playing on Linux? How about my wireless internet card that I have, would I still be able to use it? I run firefox as my internet browser so I am not too worried about that.

How many people run Linux and what are your opinions of it? Do you like it, did you hate it? Is it worth my time to try to understand it? I have been with Window since 3.0 and mostly know my way around Wndows in general. Would it be worth it to buy Vista later on or go with something like Ubuntu? ( yes I remember someone posting that a while back)

I know that I will have many more questions later but for now that is it.

On a side note, I believe that this is my longest post ever...

2. ghst.san

ghst.san Sixth Year

Well, it really depends on what you want to do.

If you just want you Computer to run your standard applications (Surfing, Games,...) then you should use Windows. You don't have compatibility problems there and you won't have to learn a different system. Mind you that you can do all of these things on Linux too, but it will be a lot more difficult.

If you want to know what your System is doing, have a machine that is very resistent to Viruses and want to use it for more specialized tasks then I would use Linux.

On the component section: In your place I would simply consult hardware magazines. Creating an overview of the whole spectrum of computerhardware is VERY time consuming. The only thing which I would look out for is that your case is blocking some of the noise. You can buy such cases or you can build them yourself.

3. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

The first question is: what do you plan to do with the computer? Obviously you can do everything you want with a more expensive/powerful machine, but if you can save a lot of $$ on hardware if you don't need to play the latest games.

The idea behind most "barebones" kits is generally that they sell you a case/mobo/CPU and you add the rest of the components yourself. Don't think that you're getting a working computer for $300...

You can buy a fairly tricked out Alienware box if you want to spend that kind of money.

I listed some hardware in a previous thread (Here). That's not a bad place to start, if you want to save some money you can buy an older graphics card (GeForce 7xxx cards are sub $100 and will respectably handle any non-gaming task you throw at it), CPU, etc.

In common parlance, "Linux" refers to a free operating system comprised of the Linux kernel and GNU utilities, and there are a lot of different variants to choose from--if you don't know anything about Linux and would like to try it out, download and run one of the LiveCD versions (I'd suggest Knoppix or Ubuntu) and give it a go.

No.

Probably.

That's a question without a quick answer. I prefer Linux if I'm writing code, but I use Windows too. Generally it comes down to personal preference.

Hope this helps.

4. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Erm, I'll say if you don't know what Linux is, you don't want to use it. While a computer-savvy person could probably get just about anything to work with a *nix system, it's still got a learning curve.

I'd say start with a barebones system and first learn how to install the pieces (memory, cards, multiple hdds, CD/DVDs,). Stick with XP for now (I'm not a fan of Vista at all), but leave yourself a second drive or partition that you can install Linux or Ubuntu on. Something to learn about it with. More than likely though the games you own won't play (or won't play nearly as well) with *nix.

5. Jamven

Thanks for the information everyone, I am still in contemplation stage as far as which way that I am wanting to go. I think that my timetable is going to be pushed back farther due to car payments that will be starting in about a month or so.

As far as what I want to do with the machine, I first and foremost want it to last me for sometime to come. This fall I am going back to school to earn a Associate Degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Programming, and Networking Technology at my local community college while working a full time (God help me). Afterwards heading to a 4 year university to expand my education.

So I want the computer to be powerful enough to do anything that might come up in those classes. With that in mind, I also like to play video games. I don't really need to have the best graphics performance because right now I am playing on Intel 950 intergated whatever it may be, and believe me anything is better than that.

Another question, what is the difference between Microsoft Windows XP Pro Edition OEM Version and Microsoft Windows XP Professional, other than price?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  6. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Buy a Socket AM2 motherboard, since AMD should still be building chips you can drop in it for a few more years. Even so, I wouldn't count on getting more than about 5-7 years out of a machine if you're more than just a casual user (your box is going to be about as useful as a graphing calculator for gaming 5 years from now).

Computer Programming requires very little power--you should be able to do anything you'll encounter at the college level on a 486 in terminal mode. Seriously, you're not talking about coding the Half Life engine or anything.

Nothing. Before you spend money on an OS, find out if your department is a member of the MSDN Academic Alliance (a lot of schools are). If they are, you can get MS software (including Windows) for free. Legitimately.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  7. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I would suggest sticking with Microsoft Xp for the time being. While Vista is new and may look nicer, there is no limit on the flaws that are attached to the operating system, at least with XP they've had a couple of years patching up the major problems. Same will have to be done to vista before anyone purchases it. If your willing to spend that kind of money, you might as well just buy an alien ware computer straight of dell's website.

8. FallenDruid

FallenDruid First Year

An OEM software package comes without a shiny box.

Avoid Intel's Dual Core chips like the plague - they're crappy pieces of hardware slapped together in a rush to compete with AMD, they're far more expensive, have security vulnerabilities, and don't perform to the same standard.

9. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

What are you talking about. I will admit I am an AMD fanboy, but seriously, Intels Core Aritechture beats AMD at the moment.

I am guessing when you mean the bugs(security vulnerabilities) de Raadt commented about:
    http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118296441702631&w=2
    but if you read Torvalds response you will see its nothing new and AMD got a bit of errata to:
    http://www.realworldtech.com/forums/index.cfm?action=detail&id=80552&threadid=80534&roomid=2

10. Jamven

I know this is a necropost, but this is my topic and there really is no need for me to create another.

I must say that it has taken me longer to get the parts to this computer than I was hoping it would. Matter of fact, I still haven't got the parts yet.

I am hoping that someone would be able to take a look at what I am looking at an tell me if some parts are incompatible. I don't think that there are any, but it never hurts to have someone to take a second or even third glance.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8GHz - $139.99

GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - $89.99

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - $109.99

POWMAX CP0327PL-4 Window Black/ Silver SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - $29.99

Aspire 600W DarkSide Alum Black PSU - $89.99

Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $49.99

Haven't decided on the hard drive to put in it yet. Any suggestions?

I am not too sure about that case. I also have a CD/DVD writer sitting on the shelf that is collecting dust.

This will give me a grand total of $509.94. I am going for a budget gaming rig (if such a thing exists). I am open to suggestions on how I could possibly improve it, without costing me too much.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  11. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Okay, a few major problems first off.

Get 667 RAM. Brand name if possible, Kingston, Geil etc etc. RAM is insanely cheap atm.

Find a better case that doesn't include a PSU. An Antec 900 is a great case and is pretty damn cheap aswell.

You will only need a 500W PSU max, 600W is overkill.

Get an 8800GT, not a 8600, 8600's suck seriously bad and the 8800GT is the perfect ratio of performance to price available.

Buy some after market cooling so you will be able to over clock the 5600+ to easy 600 speeds. If you aren't a fan of over clocking, which I doubt you are considering you're knowledge level, I would get a 6000+.

Grab a few 120mm fans depending on how many the case supports.

You can grab a nice SATAII 500GB hard drive for around $100 bux from Samsung. the advantage on raptors aren't really worth it IMO. a 320 Seagate SATAII with a 16MB cache are around for pretty damn cheap as well.

This may cost more, but it will ten times more future proof as the rig you presented for hardly as much more money as you would think.

12. Jamven

13. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

The only thing that really isn't intuitive is the mother board. You should be able to figure out what other parts you want through basic research.

I suggest finding someone who really knows what they're talking about to help you pick a MOBO, and then going it on your own from their.

Every else, besides the MOBO, can be replaced or expanded upon.

14. Jamven

Still looking around.

MOBO

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - $124.99 Seems to get good reviews.

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor - Retail - $159.99 Getting very good reviews.

Video Card

XFX PVT88PUDF4 GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail - $209.99

Power Supply

Ultra X2 ULT31851 550-Watt Power Supply - ATX, 120mm Fan, SLI Ready, SATA-Ready, 20/24-Pin, Modular - $59.99

Memory

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $38.88

Computer Case

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $119.99 - $79.99 with rebate. Seems to be recommended around here. $80 would be a steal.

Total Cost at this time = $674+ taxes and cost of HDD,

This is looking to be my final build.
    Once I get a HDD.

If nothing else, I'll go ahead an order the Computer Case. Can't beat $80 for that case.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

DO not buy AMD. Period. Core 2 Duo, even the slowest one, beats the shit out of an AMD two times more costlier. Intel Core 2 or Quad is where it's at.

And holy shit DDR2 price dropped again.

The Antec case is pure badass, check my many posts on it before I moved up.

16. Jamven

17. Midknight

Yes, snap that shit up now.

It's the exact same mobo me and Raven use, minus one of the PCI-E slots, which realistically, you're never going to use anyway. I personally would rather just spend good dollar and get one powerful ass PCI-E card, then linking 2 mid range ones together and being fucked on the tons of games that don't work right when SLI'ed anyway.

18. Jamven

19. Midknight

Do research and make sure the 680iLT works with Quad cores. There are two revisions out for mine, and the one I personally have, doesn't let me OC Quad cores right, so I'd have to trade up to get the newer revision that does.

I'll be swapping up to the 780i shortly anyhow, so I didn't bother. You may want to stick with EVGA, that have bad ass support and they're stepping up program kicks ass.

They just released the 780i for example, but they'll let owners for the 680i upgrade for a mere 90 bucks, instead of paying 300+++ for it. Thats just bad ass anyway you put it.

20. Jamven

1.) Do I really need to go with a Quad core?
    I do not run 50 billion applications at once. What would a Quad give me that a Core 2 duo would not

2.) I'll save money going with a core 2 duo. Honestly, anything is better than the Dell that I am running atm. I need to save money as well.

3.) I like to game, but it is not my life. That being said, anything will be better than the slide show that I am running.

4.) I have come to the conclusion that I will always be a step or two behind other on the road of tech glory.

Sorry for the rambling. Needed to put my thoughts down, I always loss my notes.