PDA

View Full Version : The Type of Support Obama is Getting

Giovanni
08-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Raps like this one (http://www.myspace.com/therealjin) are why I will not be supporting Barack Obama (his campaign is endorsing it -- giving it away as a free ring tone).

I don't know politics that's no joke, but I'll tell you what I'd do if I had one vote

Yes, we should all ignorantly vote for someone who has never taken a definitive stand on anything in his life -- save for the Iraq War, a stand which he took when he had little to lose.

We should vote for a man who wouldn't recognize hypocrisy if it danced naked in front of him masturbating and singing the national anthem.

Why? Because the other people are politicians. Obama is a person who looks good in a suit and isn't Hillary Clinton.

The last time we elected an ignorant schmuck who didn't know how to do anything but utter hollow meaningless platitudes, it didn't work out so well.

Ryzen
08-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I agree...

And not to be racist for any miniorities, but I think a lot of african americans are just voting for him just because he's black...and that's just retarded. I heard from one of my friends who is also black that she heard alot of people talking about voting for him just for that fact.

Verse of Darkness
08-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I fear that he'd be assassinated. I just think the US isn't ready for an African-American president as of yet.

Ryzen
08-22-2007, 06:15 PM
it's not that we're not ready for a african american president, it's just regardless of what everyone says, a lot of people are still racist knowingly or not...against or with they're own race.
Example: blacks voting for obama just because he's black.

Dark Lord Rostam
08-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Example: blacks voting for obama just because he's black.

Or women voting for Hilary just because she is a female. They feel that this is history in the making and want to be a part of it. Yet, the people who I've asked who feel that way about her don't even know her policies.

Ryzen
08-22-2007, 06:41 PM
yeah, I was going to add that but I sorta wanted to keep to the topic of obama...not saying your point wasn't good, it is.

The whole 'Election 2008' is a double-edged sword.

Yet again, I vote for no one.

jbern
08-22-2007, 08:36 PM
It makes me wonder if Obama does get on the ticket whether the GOP opponent will try and convince Colin Powell or Condelezza Rice as the running mate. Though Rice as a choice would be too tied to the current administrations foul ups. She needs a few years as a private citizen to trigger the whole abscence makes the heart grow fonder thing.

Wonder if the GOP will stoop low enough to try and compare Obama to Michael Vick at some point? Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Right now, I think they'd rather see him than Hillary.

Obama has the same problem that Edwards had when he previously ran, not enough experience. He looks slick and he will do well and I'm guessing he'll have a plank or three in the Democrats platform at the convention (possibly the ones ripped out of Jesse Jackson's hands - which would bring a smile to my face), but I don't think 08 is his year.

Right now it's too difficult to speculate on who is really going to end up on top of their respective party dungheaps. The part that always amazes me is after all the nastiness of the primaries how all of them suddenly act like they hadn't been calling each other every name in the book and everyone is friends now.

It reminds me of the falsness of Professional Wrestling on TV.

Jim

Lyndon Eye
08-22-2007, 10:02 PM
The last time we elected an ignorant schmuck who didn't know how to do anything but utter hollow meaningless platitudes, it didn't work out so well.

That's not a fair assessment of Obama's abilities. Unlike people like the current President who get into good colleges through family connections and wealth, Obama is a sincere, hardworking, and intelligent public figure who has worked his way up the social ladder. The fact that he was a professor of law at the University of Chicago shows that he knows his stuff and is competent concerning the Constitution (i.e. he won't go around passing laws that violate the bill of rights, unlike some un-named inepts...).

He also has plenty of experience in compromise and politics, having devoted like twenty years of his short life fighting for the improvement of Chicago's less-endowed neighborhoods. He's done a great job as a representative, and then as a senate, not succombing to the will of lobbyists, like others at capital hill. He's kept his focus on his constituents, and has fought for the things he believes in.

While I respect him as a politician, and admire him as a person, I don't believe that he has a great chance of winning the presidency. Much of America is still deeply entrenched in their traditional values and old ways and discriminatino still permeates throughout this society. Thus, sadly, some people will refuse to vote for Obama since he's black, just as others will do so just because he is. The same goes for Hillary and the fact that she's female as well.

While, I don't appreciate this mindless method of voting in which candidates receive support on a superficial level, not as a result of their policies and competence, I suppose it's impossible to ignore or eliminate.

Another thing I don't appreciate is when people rip into Obama without first trying to understand the type of character he is. Read one of his books (i.e. Audacity of Hope) before judging him. Thanks.

The Dark Lord Squash
08-22-2007, 10:03 PM
I really am turned off by this election. No one really comes out that well at all and I really have no urge to suport anyone.

Giovanni
08-23-2007, 02:58 AM
The fact that he was a professor of law at the University of Chicago shows that he knows his stuff and is competent concerning the Constitution (i.e. he won't go around passing laws that violate the bill of rights, unlike some un-named inepts...).

Alberto Gonzales was the Chief Justice of Texas' Supreme Court and a graduate of Harvard's school of law.

Fred Fielding is one of the most accomplished attorneys in the United States.

Senator Lindsey Grahm was a JAG.

Arlen Specter was a successful attorney.

Obama is now, and has always been, a coward when it comes to preserving the constitution. His statements about Pakistan for instance. I've had enough of undeclared war for now.

He's done a great job as a representative, and then as a senate, not succombing to the will of lobbyists, like others at capital hill. He's kept his focus on his constituents, and has fought for the things he believes in.

You are kidding about that, right? While in the Senate Obama has not taken a single inconvenient or controversial stand despite having plenty of opportunity to do so.

And for the record, Richardson was the one who did Darfur. Not Obama (despite our rappers claims).

Thus, sadly, some people will refuse to vote for Obama since he's black, just as others will do so just because he is. The same goes for Hillary and the fact that she's female as well.

I won't vote for Obama because he's a hypocrite (the day I let a black man tell me separate but equal is a fair system without saying something is the day I commit suicide). I won't vote for Clinton because she's a wonderful example of a person without a single principle not subject to change based off of public opinion polls.

Another thing I don't appreciate is when people rip into Obama without first trying to understand the type of character he is. Read one of his books (i.e. Audacity of Hope) before judging him. Thanks.

I have read his books. All of them. I've given this mans character a study and I've found it lacking, which is disappointing, because I really wanted to believe in him.

the-caitiff
08-23-2007, 11:36 AM
... wouldn't recognize hypocrisy if it danced naked in front of him masturbating and singing the national anthem. That's the guy I'd vote for. The dancer not the idiot... I figure you need to be a bit mad to run the country so you may as well vote for the guy who's harmlessly crazy instead of the "I just want to fuck with you" crazy.

Giovanni
08-23-2007, 01:21 PM
That's the guy I'd vote for. The dancer not the idiot... I figure you need to be a bit mad to run the country so you may as well vote for the guy who's harmlessly crazy instead of the "I just want to fuck with you" crazy.

Obama does just want to fuck with you though. That's the problem.

LogrusMage
08-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Kucinich FTW!

Ahem... Obama is an ambiguous moron. Hilary is a self serving, controlling, hypocritical bitch. Edwards is... well he's just boring and has family issues. And Gravel has no shot at winning.

So once again... Kucinich FTW!

Giovanni
08-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Edwards is... well he's just boring and has family issues. And Gravel has no shot at winning.

Edwards is boring unless you're pro-Union or poor or both. I am the first, will be the second when I finish college, and will be the third when I'm employed at an entry level job after that (this is pre-Law School).

His family issues are negligible though. Yes, his wife is dying, but as her health declines his positions will grow more liberal (she's more liberal then he will ever be and he won't refuse his dying wife anything).

Spanks
08-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I seriously don't think it matters if black people vote for Obama just because he is black. African Americans make up about 13-14%ish of the population. I would say that isn't huge, but with how pathetic voter turn out is here in America it may be a good thing for Obama.

If anything Hillary would benefit the most with women voting for her just because she is a woman. Women make up one of the largest voting blocks (I think) and they are a very huge chunk of the population.

PsyckoSama
09-13-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm voting for McCain.

Giovanni
09-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Of course, because a conservative senile hypocritical old man who can't even answer questions from John Stewart is obviously fit to be President.

Hadoren
09-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Edit: Forget it. I'm going to try to stop talking politics as much.