1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cani get some fic idea help please.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by cazten, Dec 30, 2005.

1. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

Ive begun writing a new fic here and i needa bit of help. I got the basic idea of the story but im having some troube comming up with the "problem" or "obstacle" Harry needs to ovver come. Yes i know the main problem is susposed to be the prophecy and killing Tom, but most all good stories always have some other kind of conflict. Or just something in the way of Voldemort like the Horcruxes. But personally here i hate the idea of horcruxes to shit so i dont even know if i wanna use those. In fact the whole story is not HBP compliant. So once you read over what my story here is about if you got any ideas I may be able to use please lemme know.

So in short terms, Im planning on making Harry's friends turn against him. I wanted to use harry casting the cruciatus on bella as what makes them shy away from him. I needed him to feel shitty and alone to get on to the next part, so if anyone has different ideas or objections to that lemme know.
    After this Dumbledore understands (yes im not making him a super manipulative old coot) and helps harry by sending him away to the vampire city where he will learn the secret of bloodmagic. The whole idea to this is he will be the ONLY human EVER to learn it, and its somehting voldemort DOES NOT know about and cannot obtain. With this he has a huge advantage which will hopefully put him on semi equal terms with voldemort. Voldemort has knowledg and probly more power, Harry has a new power that voldemort has no idea how to defend against (but not by any means making him an easy kill for Harry seing as the man has decades of experience over harry).The point to using the "no friends anmore idea" is that Harry wont feel as bad about leaving, or may even want to leave if he has nothing to leave behind. After all it may be years harry trains in the vampire city, and nobody but vampires can come in (with the exception of harry of course becuase dumbledore proposed an idea to them that they couldnt reject).

The spot i come into my snag is, what to do when the training is complete (or good enough for him to get started on hunting voldemort). Whats gunn a be in his way?
    If your not understanding this lemme give you an example. In ther series 'of elves and magic' harry trains and becomes all good to go for voldemort, but voldemort screws harry over by summoning Izrit the Sprite of destruction which screws Harys game plan all up.

I need something like that, only not copying someone else. Granted there wil be things in here that have been done bfore as that is unavoidable, but i will be unsatisfied with this book if its not for the most part original.
    I do have a couple ideas, but i dont want to say anything becuase that would ruin the story for anyone who wants to read it :). So if you got anything lemme know. If you want ill write that the idea came from you and everything in and authors not (asumming i use it). Just gimie some fresh data.

No before anyone really flames away on the harrys friends leave him cuase he used the cruciatus curse and think hes going dark here me out.
    I know this often to most people sounds gay, and its stupid shit like this harry gets tossed in azkaban for in harry!azkaban fics.
    BUT, i think its a perfectly good reason when thinking about it logically. I find the problem is too many people down play the effects. Like in some fic harry will transform and theyll say "the pain was like the cruciatus but times 100!!!!"
    BULLSHIT! The whole point the the curse is that its the MOST PAIN IMAGINABLE AND DRIVES YOU TO UTTER INSANITY. And no voldemort does not use it all day on his followers for fun. he uses it when they royally fuck up.
    I also see in fics Harrys runs around fighting while under the effects on the curse. NOOOOO Harry needs to get his ass twitching on the ground squirming so much he might break his back.
    So if you once again make the curse how it was in canon i dont see why it cant be a perfectly logical way to make his friends and makeshift family turn on him. After all its susposed to be a curse you get life in hell on earth for, is very dark oriented, and on top of that harry's friends are all little 'follow the lite side if you touch dark magic youll corrupt your soul' people.
    But if anyone still has a better idea lemme know.

2. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

oh btw. I read through the challenges section on the forum and was thinking on implementing Professor Flitwick as a magic teacher for Harry since vampires obviously only use bloodmagic. Maybe we can make him somehow have some kind of dark creature blood in him (which is why hes a short little freak) and allow him admittence to the vampire city. Granted he wont be a dark freak teaching harry ho to summon demons lol but it will till implement the idea somehow, give harry and awesome NON dumbledore magic teacher (he is a dueling champion)

Oh and if anyone was curious it is going to be a Harry/vampire ship (NOT SLASH). I was planning on making that part of his driving force since he lost his friends but as i am a dude its not gunna be a fluffy love dovey thing cuas ei couldnt write that if i tried.

3. Euphemism

Euphemism First Year

Harry's friends turning against him is a bit cliche'd, but if you're going to do that, you might as well set the majority of the wizarding world against him as well. You want an obstacle? Here's one: Voldemort has a whole bunch of Death Eaters that follow and obey him. Harry has nobody but Dumbledore, a couple of teachers, and a few Vampire friends, perhaps. If the wizarding world turns against him (including most of the Order), refusing to support him (despite Dumbledore trying to convinve them to do so), then basically he's outnumbered in practically any confrontation.

I don't think it's a good idea to bring in something out of the blue that severely overpowers Voldemort - it's just bad storytelling. If you make the two sides roughly equal, that's all you need. Of course, if the point of your story is to throw in some stuff to make it longer, then all you have to do is have Harry and Voldemort fight several times. The first time, Harry defeats Voldemort because of his 'leet powerz!'. Voldemort escapes using a portkey or something, and hides out. Then you can have the wizarding world either change their mind about Harry, or believe him to be dark because he has 'evil leet powerz!'. Then stuff happens because of that. Then during the second fight, Voldemort might defeat Harry, because he's expecting some of what Harry did last time, and set up a nice trap or something. Harry escapes using a portkey this time. Then have one or two more fights before Voldemort is finally defeated, and the wizarding world either worships Harry or was destroyed in the war, or they still hate Harry and want him in jail and you have some options for a sequel.

Er, yeah, the point of that was, you don't need to introduce some 'new obstacle'.

4. cazten

cazten Slug Club Member

point taken. thanks

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

If you're gonna have Harry leaving Britain for a while, you can have Voldemort taking over the Ministry. Then the Order will turn into a real resistance group, like Death Eaters were before they'd won.

That could also intensify the rift between the Weasleys + Hermione and Harry - they could feel as if he had abandoned them (especially if some of the Weasleys got killed).

If you want Harry angry with the Weasleys, you can have them sell out to Voldemort. After he had won, he offered them bigger pay and social standing coz they are purebloods. With Harry gone & Dumbledore in hiding, they take it. And then start to like it. I can imagine Ron, Ginnny and Molly liking new money and status, while Arthur and the twins still secretly working for Voldemort's downfall...

Eh, just some scribling on the fly, good luck with the story.