PDA

View Full Version : Saffron Revolution and LACK of Reaction

JCCS
10-28-2007, 03:47 AM
In late September, as most of us probably know, the Burmese monks and a good number of citizens who joined them went on widespread peaceful marches to protest the military government and promote democracy.

Of course, despite dramatic claims in Time magazines and other major publications about the end of an unstable revolutionary government and the spearhead of independent democracy reform, nothing happened. The military cracked down on the revolution, killing anywhere from 17 or so to 80 peaceful protesters.

Little or no action was taken by the US, which is hosting a multi-billion-dollar-a-day war in Iraq, supposedly for Democracy, in part due to the lackadaisical efforts of nearby eastern governments to agree with US politicians on a course of action.

Most believe that, naturally, murdering protesters is immoral and inhumane, and the UN should step in about something, especially the vast amount of monks and protesters still incarcerated.

I don't know.

Your opinions/thoughts?

Correct me if I'm wrong on any facts, but it pisses me off that the current administrations is wasting my tax money on the Iraq war and letting people who genuinely want a change and who aren't as likely to suicide bomb us get imprisoned and killed.

Giovanni
10-28-2007, 09:12 AM
The monks just don't want Democracy enough. If they did, they'd realize that military junta's aren't toppled by singing kumbaya.

When the pussies pick up guns, the rest of the world should help them.

Niffler Lord
10-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong on any facts, but it pisses me off that the current administrations is wasting my tax money on the Iraq war and letting people who genuinely want a change and who aren't as likely to suicide bomb us get imprisoned and killed.

I think you forgot places like N. Korea, which is pretty anti-American nad HAS NUKES! But what has the Bush admin. done to them? Not much....

International help is not going to come to this poor Asian nation. After all they don't have anything valuable to plunder, like oil.

Taure
10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
I think you forgot places like N. Korea, which is pretty anti-American nad HAS NUKES! But what has the Bush admin. done to them? Not much....

China has made N. Korea give up their nuclear programme.

Mors
10-29-2007, 04:46 PM
The monks just don't want Democracy enough. If they did, they'd realize that military junta's aren't toppled by singing kumbaya.

When the pussies pick up guns, the rest of the world should help them.

They are Buddhists. They believe that peace is an end in and unto itself. They want to achieve freedom through peace. Peace is what their religion is about (Nirvana. Sound familiar?).

/are retards to think they can confront a Military Government with that attitude

I am ashamed to admit that my government, democratic and all, despite the opinion of a significant fraction of the public, has done nothing. All because India has a good relationship with the Junta and we need them to 'counteract terrorist activities originating from our neighbouring countries'. A friend of a cousin of mine is in Burma in a diplomatic capacity... the situation there sucks. We were in a position to do something substantial about it, instead of the fucking talks [that goes for China too].