1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Checking an Idea

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have come to the decision that I will be placing The Rune Warrior on hiatus for a good while, because I have run out of ideas.

I am going to start another fic, and I am considering a narnia xover with hp. I have a couple of ideas of how to do it.

One idea is to go totally AU and have harry live in the 1940's, have Voldemort as an upstart dark lord trying to steal Grindelwalds thunder so to speak. Dumbledore is in a position with Grindel like harry is with voldie, ie there is a binding prophesy. However, since Dumbles is a bit younger, and has a less hardened heart, he takes Harry in as his own rather than send him to the dursleys. He trains Harry from the age of 6 or so in magic. Dumbledore is a friend of the Proffessor, and when he hears about the evacuees staying with the Prof he sends harry to stay there with them for the summer, harry would probably be 12 or 13 at this point. I would then have it that by the time Harry arives, the kids are all in Narnia, and have been for a while, I would probably have harry arrive eitehr during the final battle with the white witch, or sometime around the coronation.

Another idea is to build of the different worlds mentioned in the Magicians Nephew, having the HP world as a different one, and having Harry slip through a portal of some sort.

Apart from hwo they started they would probably be roughly similar.
    I would have Harry as aSo of merlin, like the otehr kids are Sons of Adam, and Daughters of Eve.

My theory is that Aslan Adam Eve and Merlin are all children of the Emperor from across the seas. This could be shown that the lions are the kings of the animal kingdom, they are the supreme animals in the jungle type thing, normal humans have mastered the earth, we can turn its products to our own advantage, and wizards are the kings of the supernatural.

So I would have aslan as a kind of benevolant uncle to harry.

Just an idea, please give me your thoughts

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've nevera read/watched Narnia (nor do I indend to), but if the plot is placed in the 40-ies, why bend over backwards just so you could include Harry? Make Tom Ridley the main character, he should be 11 year old kid in 1938-1939...

3. Mordecai

High Score:
    i would ratehr only write a harry centric fic, and not try to come up with the character of a preteen Lord Voldemort fresh out of an abusive orphanage.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Ip... you did not just ask him to write a non Harry-cntric story, did you? :p Eeeeevil!

5. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Oh, come on, it's not like Harry has some elaborate character... Little dumbass don't deserve all the hype built around him.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Personally, I much prefer Harry-centric stories over any other.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

There are only a few stories that I like that doesnt have him as the main character. Like Urich of Oddball or whatever.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's just a (bad?) habit, like smoking.

Yes, there's a lot of good backstory around Harry's character (even if there's not much character itself), but if you don't plan on using it (like, if you're writing a complete AU where Harry is taken away as a baby etc...), it's simply more interesting to invent some new character altogether. Look at it as on originality - there are 100000 Harry-centric stories and only few with new characters created in HP world.

The biggest problem when writting non HP centric story is lack of the prophecy & backstory. If you're kicking Harry in other dimension as a baby, that's not Harry any more and it's preferable to use altogether new character (or some less used canon char).

9. Mordecai

High Score:
    fascinating as I'm sure this debate is could someone please give me their opinion on my idea

10. Mordecai

High Score:
    im also considering a few other ideas for fics.

One of them is after Harry's first year the large but illusive Potter Clan rescue him from the Dursleys. he is the heir to the title Duke Potter, and he is taken out of hogwarts to be taught all that he was supposed to be taught as he grew up , but dumbledore hid him from Clan potter.

I would make Clan Potter a kinda special bloodline. I was thinking that perhaps they have a special bloodgift for Rituals or something, that would allow me to explore rituals a bit indepth cause there aren't many fics that have really anything about them.

I would include Voldemort slightly, but he wouldn't be a main focus of the fic. It would probably be Harry/Clan Potter versus Dumbledore/Ministry.

I think it would be quite interesting. I have the mental image of a crowd of grown adult powerful wizards dressed in long flowing robes marching down the centre of Diagon Alley looking very pissed off, perhaps after Dumbledore kidnaps harry or something.

whatcha all think of that idea?

Another idea is one thats been coming and going in my mind for a while. At the end of first year, the teachers all decide to take an Apprentice, who would be exempt from any and all school subjects that their Master didn't want them to take. the master would be charged with providing a balanced education for them.

I know your all thinking oh hell he's going to do and snape/harry fic isn't he. Well no im not.

I would have Flitwick take harry as an apprentice in Warding. I would make Flitwick a Ward Master as well as a Charms Master and a Dueling Expert. This fic would probably have Dumbledore as a slightly manipulative man, but he would in the main just accept that he had lost control of harry and just do his best to guide harry in the right direction (ie away from darkness).

I think that fic could be very interesting, and I reallly would like some feedback from people on this.

11. True Story

True Story Third Year

I rate the second idea over the first idea anyday......One thing I would like to ask though.....why warding? What is so interesting about it? Just have Flitwick be a charms master straight up...and he had entered in several dueling competitions and won. And since Harry is his apprentice he expects Harry to keep up the tradition...

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    i thought warding because it coud be such a diverse and interesting subject. Ok, you get plain wards to keep folk out. Why not make it more complex by making a ward round someones head to prevent oxygen getting in, or round someoens heaart to prevent blood getting in.

You do have a point though, it could be interesting to write as a Charms Apprenticship. Charms is also a diverse subject. I would think though that the greatest part of the charms amstery would be creating spells on the fly. For more info on that see the Lexicon

13. True Story

True Story Third Year

Guess you could do that with a ward, but why not a regular spell?

14. Mordecai

High Score:
    I suppose you could, I just like the idea of Warding, but it is very overdone, so ill probably take your idea of a charms apprentice rather than a warding apprentice if I choose that idea.

15. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Don't like the first idea coz I haven't read Narnia (and judging by the response, not many people did).

-------------

Second is better, but I never was a fan of super-powerful super-secret blood royalties.

James was described as simply too free-spirited and Gryffindorish for there to be some big clan behind him (unless they use the darkest of rituals in order to enchant ones pranking ability?).

I'm always up to Dumbledore/Ministry bashing, though.

-------------

Third idea seems the best for now. Warding sounds interesting. New areas of magic are always welcome and besides, not everything about Harry has to be about fight. You can even make fights like in the movie "Live Wire" - Harry constantly setting up traps and enchanting objects instead of taking death eaters head on.

I'd also like to see more of Fitwick. There was one fic with Fitwick mentoring Harry and that turned out great.

The only problem here is the beggining. Seems kinda stupid - Dumbledore announcing apprenticeship program and then sucking it up when Fitwick grabs Harry... unrealistical. And why Fitwick, BTW? Dumbledore, McGonnagal and even Hooch are more likely to take Harry than him.

Alternate ways to do this:

- Ministry wants to take up Harry to study his scar (after say... Malfoy takes over the country). The only solution is for him to become an apprentice, since that puts him outside the Ministry's jurisdiction. Dumbledore can't take Harry as an apprentice (since his apprentice is still officialy Riddle or Grimdewald or... someone). Fitwick is the only master at Hogwarts besides Dumbledore, so he does him a favour and take Harry. (this would probably be good!Dumbledore and evil!Ministry).

- Lilly's last will is read (after Harry escapes the Dursleys, he goes to Gringotts and enquires them about his state of affairs). Lily was Fitwick's apprentice before she went into hiding. In the will, she begs Fitwick to take Harry under his wing and get him ready to survive against Voldemort. He accepts plea from his favourite student. (neutral!Ministry and manipulative! to evil!Dumbledore).

16. True Story

True Story Third Year

What is the name of that fic? Do you have a link for it?

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Sorry, can't remember it's name.

I remember a duel when Fitwick and Harry charm tables to fight against each other, as well as few other tricks... I beleive it was H/G or H/Hr, though. Sorry, can't remember anything else, that scene is everything I can recall at the moment.

18. Mordecai

High Score:
    I believe Flitwick mentors harry in Shezzas Ancardia fic, buts thats just a vague memory.

I decided on Flitwick because he has to be my favourite character in the whole series. Also, little information is given in the books about him, so that means I can develop him just about any way I like.

I like those alternate beginings, the first one with the ministry is really good, I might write it like that.

I would like other folks opinions if at all possible please.