1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Confirmation that Gamespot is Untrustworthy

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Xiph0, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I know an old rant of Mid's is that all the gaming review companies (Like gamespot) are bought out by studios.

Well, here's some proof.

Penny Arcade comic on it.

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Considering most of my reviews come from friends and online friends and what not, this isnt really too much of an effect on me. As far as the business end of it, this fucking sucks.

Indie companies/magazines are a lot better for that kind of thing, I guess.

Regardless, a store is a store. And Gamestop is the only place in this city to get the rarer games.

3. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

Shit sucks. I actually liked Gerstmann. To see him go like this... ugh. Has he made any sort of comment on the matter?

As for Gamespot and the other major game review sites? Stopped paying them any real heed a long time ago. It's difficult to trust something taking in that much dough to remain non-biased. Even so, this is rather surprising.

Ah well, hopefully this will light a little fire under their asses.

4. carl

carl Seventh Year

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

GameSpot, not GameStop. Two completely different companies with not so different names.

That said...this really surprised me. I mean, I already disagreed with most reviews over personal bias alone (I don't care what these reviewers think, Halo is an average series at best, deserving no more than a 6/10), but this...this is just wrong. There is no personal bias here; it's just them being paid off by a company to review their games. I didn't pay much attention to the reviews before, but I'm going to pay less attention now that this is out in the open. :?

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Shit like that is the main reason I download everything for demos, then buy what I like. If they made piracy 100% legal, and stopped putting out total SHIT games that don't work, sales would go up. Sounds like it makes no sense, but I'll look later for the study an independent research group did about music downloading, actually leading to increased sales for CD's via download applications and ringtone places like iTunes.

Thread with funny pic
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=784