1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Authors: How many fics have you finished?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

It seems that there are more and more abandoned stories lying around.

Prsonally, I find it very difficult finishing a fic. It's just that when I'm inspired, I focus on the idea and write everything down, ignoring my old story. I used to think I was in the minority but it seems that it's just human nature.

I think it'd be very interesting to find out how many fics people have finished compared to how many started or in the planning process. A record if you wish.

My record: 5 fics written/planned. 0 finished. lol.

2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I'm trying, but life is just getting in the way more and more. I've gone from an update every week to roughly one every two months recently. I know I'll at least finish the first Happy Red Prince installment, since I don't have very far left to go. Dakaath is just a monster epic. No matter how much I write, I never feel like I'm getting much closer to the resolution. It really is rather disheartening to think about.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

2 attempted: 0 finished.

I have a disgustingly hectic life and I started writing my story while I was bed ridden from surgery here. I have assloads of notes from when I read the books all the way through in a day, a ton of research, and a buncha half written chapters. It's being able to sit in front of the PC, write dialogue (which is my weak point actually) for more then 10 minutes at a time that's insane.

Hell most of my posting here is done at places other then my home, or in quick 5 minute look-see's.

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

4 planned, 3 written, 1 finished.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think I'm better than most about this, of course I'm willing to just get it done and finished rather than agonize over making it perfect. One-shots don't really count, and another one was 15 chapters that I posted complete all at once. My only abandoned fic was actually a one-shot that I finished and then later just added on to. Wasn't going anywhere, was a first try and learning experience. Where in the World took only two weeks to write, so that's kinda hard to pretend it took a lot to get through. But it was a mildly intensive 2 weeks worth of writing. It's sequels are more like months, but I'll finish the last one of those too. Lovegood, Boobs Gooder got started, put off for months while I wrote the Cheekquel, and once that was finished I made finishing Boobs Gooder the goal. Have one story that I won't abandon, nor finish because it's just a sort of long series of one-shots for whenever I feel like getting historical. It's always been that way from its inception though.

I have more ideas, bunnies, and potential stories than I could count. Only have two fics I actually began writing and abandoned. But I won't bother posting them unless I'm certain that I will finish them. Abandoned WIPs bug me, but without them there would be barely anything to read.

6. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

3:finished (one-shot) 1:abandoned

7. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

2 one-shots

One started and with good chances of finishing it (part 1 at least).

I don't mind abandoned stories terribly. If you lost ideas or motivation to keep writing, better cut your losses and start something else, than angsting over it and forcing a few more chapters of meaningles filler material.

8. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    That's true. 3-0 for me not including random one shots.

9. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

1 Oneshot. 2 in progress (though only one is uploaded). 0 finished (I don't count oneshots).

10. zblueblur0

zblueblur0 Raptured to Hell

yo man i was banned after some dude pissed me off so i crused him off i had 120 stories done waaaaa

11. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Amen to that, Master Slytherin...
    Let's see...I have one, two...five, six...a total of TEN!!!!! stories unfinished...What's even sadder is that I actually had to check my Profile page to count!
    I'm actually starting to get out of Harry Potter now. I've reread Wheel of Time and discoverde my absolute love for it.

Shezza88

12. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

lol to that Shezza :lol:

Does that mean you're not going to carry on with that new Azkaban fic of yours?

13. MadEyes

MadEyes Seventh Year

I have 2 stories out and currently in the works. And as for what’s running around in my head, well, both of the stories that are out at the moment have a planned sequel, so that’s 2. I have a 4 part series mostly planned out starting in Harry’s childhood, so that makes 6. And I have a crossover which I will start posting after my next two updates. So that makes 7.

After that, bunnies assault me constantly, but few have enough merit to get into the planning process. Just yesterday I had a bunny called ‘The Potter Express’ where Harry buys, enchants and preps a train to go traveling around the world after kicking Voldemort ass. Alas, it didn’t have any depth, so it was quickly discarded.

In any case, that makes 2 stories in progress, and 7 more planned. Not bad, huh? Especially since I started writing earlier this year and took a four month vacation somewhere in there…*wanders off*

14. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

1 started but not planned so gave up. looking back a couple of reasonable ideas but really poor. I'll never forgive myself. I was in egypt ok, the hot weather was getting to me and i only had wordpad and I was paying for the computer by the minute...leave me alone. :cry: I'm ashamed

15. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I've finished many oneshots, but I've never finished a multi-chaptered story. I have many, many unfinished stories, but I don't like to say "abandoned", I just have to wait until I'm interested/inspired again. I refrain from posting the ones I know I'm never going to finish.

16. DGD

DGD Headmaster

120 storys done? Pfft, you can't seem to not lie in your posts. And if you must insist on displaying your sadness about being banned, please don't use "waaaaa". We may not be able to hear it, but it still gives us headaches.

Back on topic, I'm working on the DLP.Net chain story and one of my own, nothing finished yet.

17. chronic dragon

chronic dragon Seventh Year DLP Supporter

my first one i abandoned due to losing microsoft word. right now i just started one. its gonna be a independant harry and a kinda dark harry. not really sure what the story line is right now since im kinda winging it.

18. Demon God of Chaos

Demon God of Chaos Seventh Year

at the current moment i have written a grand total of 35 fics which are as of yet unfinished and aone fic that is finished... Genesis...

i update ratehr irregularly due to my schedule changing every week... at least that's teh most plausible answer...