PDA

View Full Version : The one word which misspelled will make me go on a killing spree.

Kang
12-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Okay, i have read fics for a looong time and the one pet peeve that i have to get off my chest is : why do people spell 'definitely' as 'defiantly'???!?!?!!?
I mean goddamn, they are two completely different words! Does anyone hate this or see this or am i just mindfucked?!

Myst
12-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Eh... typically the most common misspelling for definitely is definitily or definatly.

I've never seen people confuse it with defiantly.

Rehio
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
The misspelling that pisses me off? 'Loose' instead of 'lose'.

Banner
12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
My favorite is "solider" for "soldier."

And of course all the truly Amazing things one can do with Latin incantations...

Tehan
12-18-2007, 03:38 PM
Spell-check, probably. Definatly comes up with defiantly and definably on my firefox plug-in spellcheck. Most of the time when someone uses a word that is close spelling-wise but way off on meaning, it means they wielded the spellcheck with insufficient skill to properly contain it's power.

Aekiel
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Defiantly instead of definitely is annoying, but it still pales in comparison to fucking up character names. Worst misspelling (below names) in my opinion is there/their/they're, it makes me angry every time I see it. I know the differences between them, I've known ever since I learnt them way back in school.

Why don't others know this? Is my memory that much better/more pedantic than others' - which I know isn't true; I can walk ten feet to the kitchen and forget what I went for - that only I and a select percentage of the English speaking world is able to remember them? Bah, it just confuses me that people can keep making the mistake once they've been corrected. Hell, even MS Word's spellcheck brings up a grammar error if you use it in the wrong way.

Aekiel

malaga
12-18-2007, 08:52 PM
My big one is "Weary" vs. "Wary"

As well as spelling characters names wrong. Honestly, I've seen whole stories starring "Darco" or "Hermoine", and lets not go into the "MacGonagle" or "Lucious".

Lucius is not Lucious.

That is all.

The Doctor
12-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Me? "Prophesy" instead of "prophecy".

Cell
12-18-2007, 08:58 PM
When I see defiantly when it should've been definitely, I just don't bother and close the tab.

For me is "your" instead of "you're" and "quite" instead of "quiet" and the other way around.

Perspicacity
12-18-2007, 08:59 PM
My pet peeves:

Temperment vs. temperament.
Loose vs. lose.
Who's vs. whose.
They're vs. their.

I do approve of people calling Ginny "red-hared," though. Who needs pygmy puffs?

Kenshkrix
12-19-2007, 01:09 AM
I personally hate it every time anybody makes any grammar mistake, nothing specific that I dislike other than every single time it happens, ever.

Xiph0
12-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Through vs. Threw

Bear vs. Bare

~_~

Andro
12-19-2007, 02:31 AM
Cheeses of the World as opposed to Warriors of the World

Nah, just kidding. Nothing kills a Harry/Fleur like Fleur being spelled Fluer.

MrINBN
12-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Completely unrelated to Harry Potter, but...

Rouge vs rogue. It's one fucking letter. One is a color. The other stabs you in the kidney. GET IT STRAIGHT!

Iztiak
12-19-2007, 02:43 AM
"Loose" instead of "lose" infuriates me.

Actually, any of the ones mentioned above irritate me.

Nobody
12-19-2007, 02:56 AM
Completely unrelated to Harry Potter, but...

Rouge vs rogue. It's one fucking letter. One is a color. The other stabs you in the kidney. GET IT STRAIGHT!

That right there tells me you play WoW if I didn't already know. I played one. Dunno about you. But that got so incredibly annoying that I left groups if anyone called me a rouge instead of a rogue. And everybody did.

As for my annoyances? Second "definately" or "defiantly". Also people who type "kk" instead of "k". And people who will text just one letter, or one word. It's not worth my time to open up my phone and read one fucking unnecessary word.

vanna
12-19-2007, 04:00 AM
I've been coming across "shoe-in" in place of "shoo-in" very often lately. Also "per say" instead of "per se". Overall, I'd say I get annoyed the most when people use a completely different word that just happens to sound similar to what they want. Oh, wait, there's another one that I absolutely despise: using "he and I" when they should use "him and me".

Murton
12-19-2007, 04:19 AM
When typing, I will spell 'just' 'jsut' nine times out of ten.

Taure
12-19-2007, 06:35 AM
And yet another pet-peave thread is born. I swear we should have a sub-forum just for these things.

PlacatedTurtle
12-19-2007, 07:09 AM
The only thing that annoys me enough to close the fic immediately is authors writing "could care less" instead of "couldn't care less".
It doesn't take a genius to work out that could care less implies there are things that you care less about and therefore the statement the author is trying to get across goes from "Harry doesn't give a shit about this particular thing." to "I'm a gigantic retard."

Banner
12-19-2007, 07:37 AM
When typing, I will spell 'just' 'jsut' nine times out of ten.

I do the same, especially first thing in the morning.

Kang
12-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Thank the good lord, i am not alone.
Not to mention the unforgivable of spelling the charecter's name wrong. Nigh on impossible to do yet they manage to do it!

jbern
12-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Early on, I made many of these errors. Hell, I still do, but I'm getting better. The biggest one I commit is usually the your/you're one in Bungle/TML since it's in 2nd person - still happens a bunch in rough drafts, but I've gotten to the point where one pass of self editing of the final draft is looking at every your and you're and nothing else.

For like the first 6 chapters of Darkness Hermione and Severus were misspelled. I believe they've been corrected, at least on FFA and FF.net.

With fanfics, I run my stories through usually 2 betas these days. They catch alot of my crap, but even still some sneaks by. I can't bring myself to use more for a fanfic. My view is that I'm entertaining you - for free.

Original works on the other hand go through at least 6 or 7 people sometimes the same person twice. Assume every story a potential editor reads is going to be grammatically error free. Assume that every error will make that editor's finger hover over the delete button regardless of the plot of your short story. Quite frankly, the first two to three paragraphs of a short story better be perfect and grab the editor by their figurative balls, otherwise they move on to the next piece in the slush pile and copy paste your email into the form template email reject-o-notice.

The Mysterious Nobody
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
"Aloud" instead of "allowed". That annoys me greatly

Omagic
12-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Meh I hate the "mispelled words that annoy me thread". Most retread thread in all of internet forum posting history.

Oh yeah, and I hate it when people speak or write, "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes". Drives me fucking nuts.

I also hate when people (98%) of the time misuse, reiterate. To iterate means to repeat, to reiterate means to repeat again. If you've said something once do not try to add emphasis when saying it again by beginning with, "...and let me reiterate." because you're not reiterating, you're iterating, and misusing the word makes you looks like an ass...erating

Omagic

- practicing hypocrite

Niffler Lord
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Mine is 'laid' as in 'he laid on the bed'. It's 'he lay on the bed' dammit.

Of course there's the confusion between they're/there/their which also annoy me, and you're/your.

carnivalofcarnage
12-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Personally I was reading a fic the other day and two really jumped out at me (these mistakes were also repeated several times to my annoyance).

Occulmency instead of Occlumency
Gallions instead of Galleons

redawgts
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
Private Drive instead of Privet Drive.

Mixing up parselmouth and parseltongue.

Adding of a dollar sign ($) in front of any form of currency, even galleons (i.e. he had $10 galleons in his pocket).

The use of acronyms when they are not needed. I mean really, how hard is it to type out Ministry of Magic instead of MoM.

Misspelling a canon character's name, repeatedly.

Banner
12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Niffler Lord;159904]Mine is 'laid' as in 'he laid on the bed'. It's 'he lay on the bed' dammit.
QUOTE]

To be fair, the lay/lie/lain issue IS a valid point of confusion. Back when I was playing around with etymology, I did a little research. There was A Lot of debate about which one was correct, back in the ... I think it was 1800-1820.

Riley
12-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I hate the abuse of the whole see/seen/saw set. Like in "Shake Me" by RoxieSnape. It's okay, but her inability to utilize that set of words just irks me to no end.

Lorelei of the Sea
12-19-2007, 06:34 PM
For me, people mixing up It's and Its. I won't close the browser if I see it just one time, because it's an easy typo to make, but if it happens a lot, and it's obvious that it's not just a typo, I click the magical red X. I also get annoyed at Their/They're/There and Your/You're.

My biggest pet peeve, though, is seeing grammatical mistakes in actual, published literature. I've read books where I caught myself thinking 'dude needs a beta', and there's really no excuse for that.

Demonic Chair Stealer
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Confusing clothes and cloths just makes me want to kill people.

Rin
12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
using "he and I" when they should use "him and me".

Whilst I agree that this is annoying, and inexcuseable, in their defense, most people who make that error grew up having "me and him" drilled (some times slapped) out of their minds from an early age, without being told WHY, so they assume ANY case of 3rd Person plus 1st Person should automatically be "He (She) and I". If no one tells you that that is only the case in the Nominative, then you will inevitably do it in the Accusative, Dative, Genitive, and Ablative as well.

Worse yet, many teachers don't teach the children why they should replace a Nominative 1st+3rd Person with "He (She) and I", because they don't know any better themselves. In one movie (I forget the name) starring Tim Allen, Tim's character corrects his teenaged son's useage of a clearly correct "him and me", telling him that it is "he and I" - an example of hypercorrection on the part of the adult who never learned any better themselves. Hypercorrection is also exemplified in Ron's use of Wingardium LevioSAR, when it is LevioSA.

Studies have shown that humans don't learn grammar in terms of Root+ending, but in terms of seperate words. This means for example that we have entries in our minds for "walk", "walks", "walking", and "walked", and a set of rules that chooses the correct one based on context. Furthermore, what might look like three words on paper is in fact a single word in the brain, ergo, "he and I" is one word in the human brain, and if no one learns the word "him and me", and which of these two words is to be used where, then they will inevitably make that mistake.

The Doctor
12-19-2007, 06:52 PM
I hate the abuse of the whole see/seen/saw set. Like in "Shake Me" by RoxieSnape. It's okay, but her inability to utilize that set of words just irks me to no end.

I would've thought the penname "RoxieSnape" would have been enough to keep you away.

Iztiak
12-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Confusing clothes and cloths just makes me want to kill people.

Oh do I hate that one.....

Come to think of it, why don't I just come out and say that all spelling/grammar mistakes make me want to scream and start killing. Even the ones I make....

Merrill II
12-19-2007, 08:07 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21/Helvius/anhero.jpg

Warlocke
12-19-2007, 08:27 PM
An Hero Snape... LOL!

I've never seen people confuse it with defiantly.Then you lucked out because I see this one constantly. Literally, it seems like every other fic I read (that employs the word) makes this mistake.

Me? "Prophesy" instead of "prophecy".Both are correct, depending on the circumstances. ;)

Here are some more excerpts from my list of Potter fanfic rules, that are devoted to general spelling and grammatical errors, more than HP specifically:

7: Threw, through, trough, thought, though, tough. For God's sake, look these words up in a dictionary so you know the damned differences between them.A: I THREW a baseball.
B: It went THROUGH a window.(1: There's no such fucking word as THRU. Thru is used by stupid, lazy fuckers.)
C: Horses drink from a TROUGH.
D: I THOUGHT I was done teaching you dummies grammar.
E: You write, even THOUGH you have no fucking brains.
F: You think these are hard to remember? Well that's TOUGH shit.
8: The Cruciatus curse does not make people Wither. The word you are looking for is WRITHE. That's right, lemon writers, no one should wither during an orgasm unless there is some serious black magic going on at the same time, so don't be retarded. If I got my hands on you, I would have you WRITHING in pain (maybe pleasure if you're lucky). Withering is what fruit does when it rots, what flowers do when they die and what my prick does when I read your shitty writing.

12: It is 'For all INTENTS and purposes', there is no such phrase as 'All intensive purposes.' If you are writing it the wrong way, then, for all intents and purposes, I should put you in the intensive care unit.

13: GESTURES are motions you make with your hands. JESTERS are fools that caper and prance about like morons. If you don't know the difference between the two, you are the latter.

15: BEAR and BARE...A: "I hope you're eaten by a grizzly BEAR."
B: "I can't BEAR to read your mistakes so you'll have to BEAR with me."
C: "Now I've laid BARE the crux of your stupidity." and if that's unclear, try this on for size, "I am BARE naked."
16: PAST is a noun, adjective, preposition, and even an adverb. PASSED is a verb. Please remember the difference.

24: A MINUTE is a unit of time, there are sixty of them in an hour. A MINUET is a dance and attempting to perform sixty in an hour would be imprudent. Do try to remember which is which.

26: NODDING your head up and down means 'YES', SHAKING your head from side to side means 'NO'. Nobody 'shakes their head yes.' What planet did you people grow up on?

27: GLEAM: "Polished chrome has a certain GLEAM to it."GLEAN: "See what information you can GLEAN from those files."
28: WONDERING: "I was wondering how I'd kill you."WANDERING: "I've been wandering over the countryside."
(Surely you've noticed that Wonderful is spelled with an 'O' and made the connection there too. No? Then do us all a favor and wander off a cliff.)
35: WAIST vs WASTE. If I have to read one more line where Harry puts his arms around a girl's 'waste', I'll scream. Since when is Harry a coprophiliac?A: WAIST; Noun - A person's midsection.
B: WASTE; Noun - Refuse, fecal matter, garbage, your attempts at writing.Verb - To use something frivolously or to destroy something.
36: A TOMB is where you put dead people, a TOME is a book. Got that? For all the god damned 'tombs' Hermione has picked up in fanfiction, you'd think she was fuckin' She Hulk.

40: BOWLS are what you put food in. BOWELS are what the food comes back out of after you've eaten it... any questions?

41: A VIAL is a container. Something evil, despicable and disgusting is VILE.

45: TAUNT as a noun, refers to an insult or challenge. As a verb it refers to the act of insulting, mocking or challenging someone.TAUT is an adjective that means tight, having no slack, not flabby. It can also refer to something that is kept in proper condition.(Nobody has a taunt stomach, taunt muscles, taunt nipples or a taunt quim, so (once again) you lemon writers need to knock it the fuck off already.)
If I had a nickel for everyone that thought Choking was spelled Chocking... I'd be able to afford a lawyer for when I go on trial for choking the life out of the next person that makes that mistake.

Banner
12-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Oh! Oh! How about these?

We starred at the shinny mantle while eating desert in the dinning room...

Naga's Shadow
12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
As someone who has made ever single above mistake typing I can only saw give it a rest. People make mistakes, and the majority of the fan-fiction out there is unbetaed. I proofread everything I've written but no one goes over what I've seen and the result is I miss things. But the thing is everyone misses things so 97.6%(Pulling this number out my ass here) of all fan-fiction will contain misspellings or grammatical errors. Some will be simple things like their instead of there that the author probably should have caught if they went back and re-read their work. Others are much harder to spot like the appropriate usage of he and I and him and me. As I missed third grade grammar I don't know when to use the latter.

An interesting thing to note is that we don't read every letter but blocks of letters and our brains decipher the words from that. I'm not sure that I've said this clearly but what it means is that we ca read text with minor misspellings and transposed letters and still understand the passage. I'll admit a steady stream of spelling errors will drive me away from the story but for the most part I gloss of little things. You'd enjoy your day and not feel the need to kill any authors if you did too.

The Doctor
12-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Both are correct, depending on the circumstances. ;)

Yeah, well, in most of the circumstances I find it, the author is referring to THE Prophecy.

Viper
12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
They're/Their/There pisses me off greatly....

Also You're/Your

And also, use of acronyms... WTF is it with using DADA????

Perspicacity
12-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Many authors dislike typing so many characters.

It's pretty common to abbreviate, shorten, or render to acronym names of courses. "comp sci", "chem", "bio", "psych", "polisci", even "diff-e-q" for "differential equations." In the list of unforgivable offences, I think "DADA" ranks about #283.

Aekiel
12-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I don't see why they have to use DADA though, I myself refer it as just Defence in anything I write. It's more realistic for people to say that than the abbreviation and using it outside of speech is just a cop out for lazy people.

Aekiel

Kang
12-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Precisely, if you were text messaging, (for some reason) the word then that would be fine. In an actual sentence, "Lets go to DADA!" looks incredibly stupid/lazy looking on the author's part.

Lecter
12-21-2007, 03:15 PM
I think "your" instead of "you're" is actually kind of cute. All other spelling mistakes annoy me, though, especially if the word misspelled is a name or a term from canon.

Calis Clayr
12-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Spelling errors in general are annoying, but the ones that really make me want to beat the author with a dictionary are:

- through <=> threw

- your <=> you're

- rouge <=> rogue

Especially the last one. As was said previously, there is a serious difference between rouge, a rogue, and Rogue.

Paimon
12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Eh... typically the most common misspelling for definitely is definitily or definatly.

I've never seen people confuse it with defiantly.

Unfortunately, I have. :|

Flaylda
12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
'then' instead of 'than' or vice versa. It annoys the creeps out of me :(

Cyclops
12-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Whilst I agree that this is annoying, and inexcuseable, in their defense, most people who make that error grew up having "me and him" drilled (some times slapped) out of their minds from an early age, without being told WHY, so they assume ANY case of 3rd Person plus 1st Person should automatically be "He (She) and I". If no one tells you that that is only the case in the Nominative, then you will inevitably do it in the Accusative, Dative, Genitive, and Ablative as well.

Worse yet, many teachers don't teach the children why they should replace a Nominative 1st+3rd Person with "He (She) and I", because they don't know any better themselves. In one movie (I forget the name) starring Tim Allen, Tim's character corrects his teenaged son's useage of a clearly correct "him and me", telling him that it is "he and I" - an example of hypercorrection on the part of the adult who never learned any better themselves. Hypercorrection is also exemplified in Ron's use of Wingardium LevioSAR, when it is LevioSA.

Studies have shown that humans don't learn grammar in terms of Root+ending, but in terms of seperate words. This means for example that we have entries in our minds for "walk", "walks", "walking", and "walked", and a set of rules that chooses the correct one based on context. Furthermore, what might look like three words on paper is in fact a single word in the brain, ergo, "he and I" is one word in the human brain, and if no one learns the word "him and me", and which of these two words is to be used where, then they will inevitably make that mistake.

Yeah, my Latin teacher is pissed because we never learned all of the cases. He said that Latin class would be easier if we would have been taught them.

Anyway, I have seen the same mistakes as you all. Seeing so many mistakes annoy me and thats when I close the page. Also, I close the page when a character's name is spelled wrong, like 'Herminne' instead of 'Hermione', 'Won' instead of 'Ron', and 'Hary' or 'Harri' instead of 'Harry'.

Niktike
12-29-2007, 02:28 AM
I actually had to stop reading a story once because the author persisted in referring to Harry as "Slytherin's Heirloom."

Solomon
12-29-2007, 02:39 AM
I actually had to stop reading a story once because the author persisted in referring to Harry as "Slytherin's Heirloom."

...How does that even happen?

On the topic at hand...for the most part, pretty standard things annoy me - mistaking one word for another (for example the There, To words), mostly. Seeing "Defiantly" in place of Definitely will annoy me, too.

One of the other things that makes me cringe is when someone places dialogue in the middle of the paragraph. It goes at the beginning or the end, damn it!

The Doctor
12-29-2007, 03:00 AM

What fic was that? It must have been pretty shitty.

Heh, "Slytherin's Heirloom" makes me think the Potters were being pimped out for a thousand years.:p

silverlasso
12-29-2007, 05:06 AM
The worst is definitely any misspelling of 'definitely.' It probably ranks up there as one of the most misspelled words in the entire Net.

Grammar errors don't annoy too much, unless the seriously impair my ability to understand what is written. Most of the time I just tear apart and rebuild as I go, and it works fine.

I can't understand, though, bollixing the basics of things, as in the spellings of characters' names and other such canon facts. Invariably, I see McGonagall misspelled the most, along with Hermione. And when you're going to use Dumbledore's full name, make sure it is Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, not anything else.

Paravon
12-29-2007, 09:03 PM
For me the most annoying one is 'signed' instead of 'sighed'.

Whenever I read,

Harry signed dejectedly.

or the like, I do a quick mental calculation as to whether I should click that nice little red box in the tab.

Banner
12-30-2007, 05:46 PM
Harry signed dejectedly.

* cheerfully *
Oh, I figure that the author means American sign language. He's signing a "deep sigh, with small frown, and eyes directed toward the floor." That's a very advanced gesture - the author must be VERY good at signing, to know THAT one...:p

Bratling
01-22-2008, 04:14 AM
I have several that I see frequently that make me cringe, hurl, or both.

"Yea" "Yah" "Ya" BEEP. You are not a winner. The correct spelling is, "yeah". The only one of those that is actually a word is, "yea" and you won't find it these days outside of Shakespeare or the KJV of the Bible.

"dinning room" instead of "dining room"
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to eat in a 'dinning' room because it would be an awful loud place to eat.

Lucius Malfoy is in no way, shape, or fashion luscious. The thought is hurl-inducing.

You cannot ally with Diagon Alley. It is not a sentient being and can neither think nor communicate.

It takes more than a minute to dance a minuet.

Aberforth probably owns a wether, but he does not control the weather, nor does he dictate whether Albus does something or not.

There's a distinct difference between a comma and a coma.

The problem with these are that they're all real words, so they're not flagged by computers. And I'm guessing that because an author knows what they mean, their eyes just kind of skip over them. I have lists of stuff like this; I call it "Random Word Syndrome." I think every author has suffered from it from time to time.

Methene
01-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Considering the current interest I have, I would have to go with the now classic variation of Fluer Delacour. Not only is it misspelled, but it sounds hideous. Go ahead and pronounce it and see for yourself. Or rather, hear for yourself.

scaryisntit
01-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Dolores, Delores

J.K. wrote it Dolores so I don't understand why so many write Deloroes. After reading OotP so many times, it just doesn't look right either.

Demons In The Night
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
How about this one that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Irregardless is not a word. It is a made up word by stupid people.

Regardless:

adv. In spite of everything; anyway: continues to work regardless.

adj. Heedless; unmindful.

People use Irregardless for the same meaning, when it is a double negative and grammatically incorrect.

Here is what Wikipedia has to say on the issue:

Origin

The origin of irregardless is not known for certain, but the consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus) among references is that it is a blend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blend_%28linguistics%29) of irrespective and regardless, both of which are commonly accepted standard English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_English) words. By blending these words, an illogical word is created. "Since the prefix ir- means 'not' (as it does with irrespective), and the suffix -less means 'without,' irregardless is a double negative."[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless#endnote_Rooney)
Irregardless is primarily found in North America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_English), most notably in Boston and surrounding areas, according to the Oxford English Dictionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_English_Dictionary), and was first acknowledged in 1912 by the Wentworth American Dialect Dictionary (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wentworth_American_Dialect_Diction ary&action=edit) as originating from western Indiana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana). Barely a decade later, the usage dispute over irregardless was such that, in 1923, Literary Digest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_Digest) published an article titled "Is There Such a Word as Irregardless in the English Language?"

I seriously cannot count how many times I've seen people make this mistake. It's always an instant 'x out' when I see this regardless of how good the fic is.

Perspicacity
01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Myself, I'm sick of reading about folks who go to the bookstore to purchase tombs, then go to the potion shop to buy a bunch of stuff in viles. If only one could turn a review into a letter bomb...

Bratling
01-22-2008, 06:33 PM
All bow down before Wikipedia, the fount of all knowledge...

Demons In The Night
01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
All bow down before Wikipedia, the fount of all knowledge...Yes, I know Wikipedia isn't exactly a most credible source, but I really didn't feel like searching for a 'proper' source when it takes two seconds to look it up on Wikipedia. Regardless, irregardless is still grammatically incorrect and it pisses me off every time I see it.

Bratling
01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Yes, I know. Wiki has become a running joke with my friends, even when you do occasionally find accurate information on it.

Banner
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
One of the things that just rubs me the wrong way is, "All present and accounted for." In a roll call, there are those who are present, those who are not present but are accounted for (infirmary, or authorized absence) and those who are neither present or accounted for - AWOL.

The phrase is "All present OR accounted for."

I have no idea why this irritates me so much, but there it is. By the way, it's ROLL, as in calling a list of names off a roll of paper, not Role, as in casting call...

Bratling
01-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah, we understand. Like it's Ancient Runes, not Ancient Ruins.

Lord Ravenclaw
01-22-2008, 11:41 PM
And tomes not tombs. :P

Duke of Rothwood
01-23-2008, 12:21 AM
I've seen mare instead of mere. That annoyed me, made me think of a fat female horse every few paragraphs. I didn't make it past the first chapter of that story

Caon
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I hate it when people use Lilly instead of Lily. Probably my biggest pet peeve in fanfiction.

Seratin
12-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I hate it when people necro. Probably by biggest pet peeve on the internet.

The Wizard
12-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Lots of people banned by Vash in this thread.

Oz waits

DarthBill
12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
A recent peeve of mine is the misuse of the word "decimate." Originally, the word meant to kill every tenth man, or one-tenth of the population. Now the word seems to be synonymous with "annihilate," meaning total, or near total, eradication.

Snarf
12-23-2009, 01:55 AM
A recent peeve of mine is the misuse of the word "decimate." Originally, the word meant to kill every tenth man, or one-tenth of the population. Now the word seems to be synonymous with "annihilate," meaning total, or near total, eradication.

It's not a misuse, as the latter definition isn't a colloquialism. Both are valid, and the words should be taken in context.

Gabrinth
12-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I just looked it up, and I don't agree. Decimate used when meaning 'to destroy completely' is indeed a colloquialism.

Think about it this way: When talking about a large army (say a million people), the death one-tenth of that number is actually a huge amount. It's like the spell Demi in final fantasy, or Static Field in Diablo 2.

ecic
12-23-2009, 04:11 AM
Thier is noting worng wiht speling stuf wrog.

MattSilver
12-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Thier is noting worng wiht speling stuf wrog.

Yes there is you illiterate fuck.

Blaise
12-23-2009, 07:50 AM
A recent peeve of mine is the misuse of the word "decimate." Originally, the word meant to kill every tenth man, or one-tenth of the population. Now the word seems to be synonymous with "annihilate," meaning total, or near total, eradication.....seriously?

I guess it annoys you when people call another person "gay," then. "I don't know if they mean he's happy or homosexual - geez!"

oephyx
12-23-2009, 09:11 AM
It's misused when it refers to total destruction, but it seems that destruction of a greater size than just 10% is a common acceptation, and not a colloquialism. Pretty standard evolution of language, as I see it, and the word would barely be used otherwise.

Portus
12-23-2009, 09:15 AM

A "recent" peeve? My guess is that the beginning of your peeve coincided with "decimate" coming up on your Word-Of-The-Day toilet paper.

ecic
12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes there is you illiterate fuck.Guess it wasn't clear I was being sarcastic.
I fucking hate when people confuse their and there. It makes want to kill them and mutilate there corpses

DarthBill
12-23-2009, 01:56 PM
....seriously?

I guess it annoys you when people call another person "gay," then. "I don't know if they mean he's happy or homosexual - geez!"

No, I know what people mean when they say it.

My problem isn't so much that people use the word as they do, it bothers me that no one uses it as it originally was meant to be used.
A "recent" peeve? My guess is that the beginning of your peeve coincided with "decimate" coming up on your Word-Of-The-Day toilet paper.

Actually, I've known what the word meant since high school.

Oneiros
12-23-2009, 05:05 PM
....seriously?

Gay doesn't bother me, but it annoys me when someone uses the word queer to describe a homosexual because I like the word queer and quite a few people think I mean someone is a homosexual when I just mean they are weird.

Sorrows
12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
I tend to be pretty laid back about the occasional spelling error since my spelling is so shitty, however the through/thru thing will have me hitting X every time, no matter how good the story is.

Snarf
12-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Guess it wasn't clear I was being sarcastic.
I fucking hate when people confuse their and there. It makes want to kill them and mutilate there corpses

Rofl, no. You were completely clear, he's apparently just wit retarded.

The worst one of them all: Hary.

Tehan
12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Gay doesn't bother me, but it annoys me when someone uses the word queer to describe a homosexual because I like the word queer and quite a few people think I mean someone is a homosexual when I just mean they are weird.

So... it annoys you when the rest of the world doesn't conform to your personal lexicon?

MattSilver
12-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Rofl, no. You were completely clear, he's apparently just wit retarded.

The worst one of them all: Hary.

No, I got that it could be sarcasm, but when there's a new-ish member posting like that, I just couldn't take that chance.

Howdy
12-23-2009, 11:42 PM

Sure, the word "decimate" comes from the Latin word which describes killing every tenth man, but frankly you're not looking at the context.

The word used today is synonymous with destroying or annihilating an enemy, which in fact was the original spirit of decimation. The Romans killed every tenth man to make a point, and that point is that you're fucking ruined.

Simple.

I enjoy using the word outside of it's literal, Latin definition.

Blaise
12-23-2009, 11:46 PM
No, I got that it could be sarcasm, but when there's a new-ish member posting like that, I just couldn't take that chance. His sig pretty much guaranteed that he was literate - and therefore being sarcastic.

MattSilver
12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
His sig pretty much guaranteed that he was literate - and therefore being sarcastic.

If I recall correctly, he didn't have a sig at the time. And plus, his previous posts I had found had random BOUTS OF CAPITAL LETTERS, but what do I know?

Mercenary
12-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Guess it wasn't clear I was being sarcastic.

Oh I see what you did there...

The through/thru thing?

That is not a spelling error. That is being LAZY.

Warlocke
12-24-2009, 06:14 AM
The Romans killed every tenth man to make a point, and that point is that you're fucking ruined.Er...
Yeah, but they didn't do it to their enemies, they did it to their own men when they fucked up. Right? The message isn't, "Hey, opposing army, you're fucking ruined." it's actually, "Hey, soldiers, you fucked up, now it's spanking time."

So while I agree that nitpicking the meaning of the word 'decimate' two millennia later is a bit anal, the fact it was done to your own army, not the enemy, does make the current usage even further from the original.

That is not a spelling error. That is being LAZY.Fuckin' signed.

Tinn Tam
12-24-2009, 08:50 AM
I was under the impression that "to decimate" meant "to leave only a tenth alive," not "to kill a tenth". That would bring it closer to its currently accepted meaning...

On topic: then/than.

It fucks up grammatical construction so thoroughly that it makes me cry tears of blood. It's not just a misspelling, it's replacing a word by another of a completely different nature. I've even seen someone say "Oh well, I was never able to tell when than should be used instead of then."

-_-

oephyx
12-24-2009, 09:23 AM
I was under the impression that "to decimate" meant "to leave only a tenth alive," not "to kill a tenth". That would bring it closer to its currently accepted meaning...

The Romans would have been pretty fucked if that were the case, so no - not originally. I've heard that before though, so it's might be used that way as well.

The word used today is synonymous with destroying or annihilating an enemy, which in fact was the original spirit of decimation. The Romans killed every tenth man to make a point, and that point is that you're fucking ruined.Decimation to mean total annihilation is stupid. And false, imo.

Mercenary
12-27-2009, 04:38 AM

On topic: then/than.

It fucks up grammatical construction so thoroughly that it makes me cry tears of blood. It's not just a misspelling, it's replacing a word by another of a completely different nature. I've even seen someone say "Oh well, I was never able to tell when than should be used instead of then."

-_-

I'll do it then <--- Reference to time

I'd rather have apples than oranges <--- Everything else

^Correct usage?

The Wizard
12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
If you're correct, then you're not wrong.

Blazzano
12-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I'll do it then <--- Reference to time

I'd rather have apples than oranges <--- Everything else

^Correct usage?

If you're correct, then you're not wrong.

Yep. In summary, 'than' is used for comparisons, like "greater than you," "guns are better than knives," etc.

'Then' is either a reference to a point in time, or a word for when something logically follows another thing. "I'll do it then" could mean either one, depending on the context. e.g., I'll do it then [point in time later than now] vs. I'll do it, then [since nobody else will]

sirius009
12-27-2009, 01:01 PM
My biggest pet peeve in writing is seeing authors who don't know how to use your vs. you're or there vs. they're vs. their.

Marsupial
12-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Luscious. Luscious fucking Malfoy. It isn't that hard to spell "Lucius" correctly, and if you're that reliant on your spellcheck, then add the name to the dictionary.

Also:

I'd rather have apples than oranges.
I'd rather have apples, then oranges.

Because commas do make a difference in the homophone arguments of the world.

Aekiel
12-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd rather have apples than oranges.
I'd rather have apples, then oranges.

Because commas do make a difference in the homophone arguments of the world.

Reminds me of a fun phrase.

Grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse" and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

CheddarTrek
12-30-2009, 07:41 AM

This exists? Word-of-the-Day Toilet Paper sounds lulzy and :awesome

Damn, why didn't I know this *before* Christmas?

Portus
12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
This exists? Word-of-the-Day Toilet Paper sounds lulzy and :awesome

Damn, why didn't I know this *before* Christmas?

To be honest, I've never actually seen it, but having heard it mentioned many times, I assumed it was for real. Well, a quick Google search didn't turn up any places to buy it at the present time, so the jury is still out on whether it was ever real or not. Without more time to search I can't say for sure, but I have to think that at some point, someone made it happen.

As my luck usually goes, the search came up with things even... funnier? definitely stranger than word-a-day toilet paper. Check a few of these out:

Mind Trainer Toilet Roll - Brain Training Toilet Paper (http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/mind-trainer-toilet-roll.html) - tries to be sort of the be-all, end-all for your brain-teaser TP needs. Who has time to complete a Sudoku while taking a poop? Unless we're talking a beginner-level one, I'm afraid I don't have the time or the inclination to try writing through a number puzzle on a piece of two-ply shit-paper.

Justtoiletpaper.com (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/) - this place is pure win; if only I'd thought of this before Christmas, my relatives and in-laws would've been much more disappointed in their gifts than they ended up being.
There's monogrammed (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/initialnew.shtml) tp for the narcissist on your list;
nazdak (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/nazdaknew.shtml) tp for everyone (yes, including me) whose 401(k) tanked over the past year or so;
something for Oz (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/happybunny.shtml) and there was one for Virail (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/designer.shtml) (the maple leaf tp sold out);
even Beavis & Butthead (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/bb.shtml) and Monty Python (http://www.justtoiletpaper.com/mp.shtml) tp.

/thread derail, but that was too odd not to share.

enembee
12-30-2009, 11:56 AM
My biggest pet peeve is Peeves. REALLY.

The Wizard
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Lawl, Portus. When are you sending me a roll? :awesome

Portus
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Lawl, Portus. When are you sending me a roll? :awesome

Next birfday; don't let me forget!!

Blaise
12-30-2009, 01:15 PM
To be honest, I've never actually seen it, but having heard it mentioned many times, I assumed it was for real. Well, a quick Google search didn't turn up any places to buy it at the present time, so the jury is still out on whether it was ever real or not. Without more time to search I can't say for sure, but I have to think that at some point, someone made it happen. I had a roll as a gag gift a while back, but I think the one I got was defective.

Instead of different words, all I got was "shit."

/me flees.

sirius009
12-31-2009, 12:34 AM
From a Canon! standpoint, I can't stand reading Lestrange spelled like LeStrange.

Sagita
12-31-2009, 01:37 AM
Alister instead of Alastor. Marvolo instead of Sorvolo in Spanish fanfiction (Yo soy Lord Voldemort instead of I am). Delores instead of Dolores. McGonagle (multiple variations) instead of McG XD

Silens Cursor
12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
My biggest pet peeve is Peeves. REALLY.

Huh... I'm not sure how to take that.

Marsupial
12-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Alister instead of Alastor. Marvolo instead of Sorvolo in Spanish fanfiction (Yo soy Lord Voldemort instead of I am). Delores instead of Dolores. McGonagle (multiple variations) instead of McG XD

Sorvolo or not, where do the 'y's come from?

Tuesday_Next
01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
canon/cannon

It's not exactly difficult to spell.

Richard
01-31-2010, 12:14 AM
It's a mix for me: Defiant/definite. Lose/loose. There/their/they're. To/too. And a few others that have already been mentioned.

Darje
01-31-2010, 01:18 AM
One that I thought for sure would be mentioned is thorough vs through.

Scrib
02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
This may not technically be a mispelling and I may just be a pretentious twit but i hate the word irregardless, double negatives drive me nuts.

Sarah
02-07-2010, 01:26 AM
canon/cannon

It's not exactly difficult to spell.

This...so very much.

Perspicacity
02-07-2010, 01:31 AM
This may not technically be a mispelling and I may just be a pretentious twit but i hate the word irregardless, double negatives drive me nuts.

I believe you are misundertaken in your sentiments.

vlad
02-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Separate and Desperate. I always flip the middle vowels around.

Scrib
02-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I believe you are misundertaken in your sentiments.

I must just be really slow, but I'm not sure whether you're joking or serious. It is a double negative, both the prefix and suffix are negative.

Mercenary
02-07-2010, 05:58 AM
I must just be really slow, but I'm not sure whether you're joking or serious. It is a double negative, both the prefix and suffix are negative.

THATS THE JOKE.

Scrib
02-07-2010, 06:33 AM
THATS THE JOKE.

Fuck, I was jusT about to edit my post I had a eureka moment while in the shower.

Perspicacity
02-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Fuck, I was jusT about to edit my post I had a eureka moment while in the shower.

I hope she was smoking hot.

Like irregardless, it's a made-up word glommed together from two other words (misunderstood/mistaken vs. regardless/irrespective).

Kerrus
02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Not a misspelling but just as rage inducing: Youngling.

Revenant
02-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Zambini for Zabini, Grimwald Place for Grimmauld Place, Alister for Alastor, Delores for Dolores. *Shudders*
How can authors not get these right? :confused:

doctorofawesome
02-28-2010, 04:54 AM
One thing that will immediately make me close the browser window is when people spell "could of done this" instead of "could have done this". When I see that, I get the urge to set fire to modern society.

Warlocke
02-28-2010, 11:22 PM
One thing that will immediately make me close the browser window is when people spell "could of done this" instead of "could have done this". When I see that, I get the urge to set fire to modern society.I'd be there with marshmallows in one hand and a torch in the other.

Schrodinger
03-02-2010, 10:34 PM
When people misspell Fleur's name. IT ISN'T THAT FUCKING HARD!

pdo91
03-03-2010, 12:34 AM
When people misspell ANYBODY'S name. IT ISN'T THAT FUCKING HARD!
Fixed. But apparently it is that fucking hard, because it happens too much to be healthy. It makes me go ಠ__ಠ and ignites my inner sociopath.