1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Master Eldryn

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Xantam, Jan 12, 2006.

?

Have you heard of Master Eldryn?

1. Yes

95.0%
  2. No

5.0%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

If anyone was reading fanfiction a couple of years ago they would have heard of Master Eldryn. After his account was banned by the bastards at FF.net he seemingly dropped off the face of the Earth. Does anyone know if he is still writing or if his stories are posted anywhere. He really was an amazing author.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Master Eldryn was a truly fantastic amazing author. Maybe it's all retrospect but he was my favorite at the time. Probably still is actually.

Unfortunately a few too many people trading his stories against his wishes, fanfiction.net banning and booting him unjustly, and general whining and pleading from others completely soured him on the entire fanfiction scene.

He's now made it quite clear that he wants no one to trade his fics, he won't stand for them being posted anywhere, and he asks that you leave him alone.

Sadly, I loved his fics too much and respect him too much to even ask people for them. They were truly brilliant. Only Jeconais or Ruskbyte would I even consider in that upper echelon with him in my mind. thesteffis had a somewhat similar style, but even steffi took down all his fics as well.

He didn't drop off after being banned. First time they toasted only Burden of Truth (a HONKS plus angry!Merlin demon summoning thing). And then it was months later they toasted his entire account. Then a few months later he started Potter's Place the yahoogroup. After being repeatedly and continuously harassed for his older fics that had been on fanfiction.net, he decided to close the yahoo group. BigDonaDiet re-opened that yahoo group and renamed it Potter's Place 2. Yahoo toasted that one, and it is currently still in its third incarnation as Potter's Place 3. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pottersplace3/ It has no relation to Master Eldryn anymore, nor is there anyway he likes being contacted as far as I know.

Tis a shame. And I'm too much of a fanboy to ever blame Master Eldryn for it, but I always enjoy reminiscing about his fics. I certainly remember quite a bit about them.

3. nonjon

For reference, here is the last message he sent out before shutting down the original Potter's Place. He went by the name 'Jason Mysterious' on the group if memory serves. It was sent sometime around Dec. 21, 2004.

============================

I know this is going to be rather short notice for most of you, and
    for that I really do apologize. The fact of the matter is that I'm
    tired. Tired of a lot of things, really...

But basically, I'm tired of people telling me how they've been
    reading my stories from places I've never *heard* of. I'm tired of
    seeing people trading or asking others to trade them, when I've made
    clear that I have never given *anyone* the permission to do that.
    I'm *tired* of asking people *not* to do this and being ignored.

I've gotten at least three mails in the last week from people
    who 'just finished reading' certain stories of mine that I no longer
    have in circulation *anywhere*. This put the final nail in the
    coffin of my fan fiction days.

I've seen numerous requests on this group for people to post mine,
    and others', works without even any attempt at getting permission
    from the author. When told not to do it, that they'd be banned if
    they did, people started suggesting ways *around* the fact that I
    didn't want people doing it at *all*, by telling them to 'mail them
    off the list.'

There is another discussion on another list I'm on that is going
    around about a similar problem, where an author simply cut and
    pasted chunks of one story and changed the names. Which one was at
    fault seems to be up in the air... but this kind of thing makes it
    easier, especially since those works are no longer in circulation,
    for people to do that. Worse it makes it easier for them to *GET
    AWAY WITH IT*.

This is making me, more and more, not want to be involved in writing
    of *any* form, let alone fan fiction... which my urge for that has
    finally been slaughtered totally and completely.

I'm flattered that many of you joined to read my works, but it looks
    very much as if I will not be continuing any of them. When I made
    this group, I was quite stoked about writing again... as was
    evidenced by the fact that I was poking and prodding at Steffis to
    work on his stuff (and even wrote a chapter of it myself).

Now, I'm just really, really tired.

Regardless of that fact, when this is sent out I'm going to wait
    about five minutes... just long enough that I know this message was
    out beforehand. Then I'm going to delete the group.

For those of you who don't store your stories in another place other
    than here (which I find rather unlikely and quite thickheaded, since
    it was mentioned quite recently that another group vanished
    unexpectedly), ask around. I'm sure you'll find someone, eventually,
    who is more than willing to send them to you... probably to anyone
    else who asks, too.

In any case, for those who liked my work and didn't do this, for
    those who liked this group and didn't do this, or those who don't
    really know what's going on, I apologize. The rest of you? Congrats,
    you finished what FFN started.

--
    -Mr. Mysterious

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

5. nonjon

I know you can split threads, but can you join them?

Because I never even gave an old topic named only "Help" a second thought. (And I say 'old' in that it had been weeks since there was a post before I ever joined here, even if it's not really all that old.)

6. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    So that's what happened. Ugh, he does seem like a arrogant ass in that...why the hell does he get riled up when his stories get spread around. No one's taking stealing credit for it and he's being treated like a god...wtf

Anyway, I don't recall any specifics but I did remember steffis's stories and the one where Master Eldryn wrote a part of it. It was very very good. Bah, oh well...

7. nonjon

I think the main problem started first when fanfiction.net booted him and all his stories were gone. Then I think he got plagiarized, but without his fics anywhere, it wasn't exactly easy to prove. And that makes for a very good reason for why he then he asked people not to trade them.

And I suppose asking them not to be posted and then getting e-mails from people who got them from unknown places and wanting more would be even more infuriating.

I do agree that some of his attitude can be seen as being quite an asshole, but like I said, I'm too much of a fanboy of his to blame him. I'm sure a great many DLPers here will gladly rip him a new one for being egotistical, arrogant, and disgustingly selfish. Self-proclaimed fanboy here not one of them though.

It's like if Ruskbyte pulled all his fics and asked you not to spread them around, I wouldn't ever send one to anyone else. Ever. I'd probably inform him when I found sites that were spreading them even. I respect the guy and his writing too much. I suppose he could be asking people with them, to delete them, but I don't think that would work too well.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Wow, this guy has that whole 'tragic hero' routine perfected.

What were his stories, anyway? I'm not sure but I might have some on my HD...

9. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Well that blows I had hoped he would continue elseware. The only story title of his that i can recall is Harry Potter and the Dark Tornament. There was one about merlin, one about hedwig as a girl, and a SuperHarry.

10. Mrriddler

If he was getting plagiarized, I guess that explains his anger then. Still, he was already popular and well known enough that the plagiarizers would have been slammed by fans or whatever. I definitely respect his talents even if I never was able to read in depth, but it's a big shame.

11. nonjon

I'll try and remember most of his fics here:

Harry Potter and the Dragon's Tear - well over 100K words, super!Harry found a sort of artifact in his family vault (the 'Dragons Tear'), put knowledge powers of people who touched in before into his head etc... supered up a lot of people (Ron, Hermy, Ginny etc). The twins I remember had some eletrical storm power that only a couple twins before ever had. Albus and Aberforth did. Involved Blaise and Ginny fighting for Harry's attention. Some crazy demons and battles on Hogwarts, etc...

Harry Potter and the Dark Tournament - Harry gets sucked away to a tournament full of fun tasks usually ending in death. Some huge power or powerful artifact for the winner. Tonks was all crushing on him, looked to be headed towards HONKS, when Harry got the invitation. He's pissed at Dumbles and such and accepts it. Finds out he's got an vampire ancestor there who invited him, commands some cool power of the Black Flame or something. One of the first tasks involved getting past a unicorn guarding the exit, without spilling a single drop of the unicorn's blood. The test was only a second on the outside world, but took however long it took you inside. Harry took advantage of that since he stood no chance against most of the people and spent 4 centuries in there training. And then just asked the unicorn to move. Big old bad-ass after he came out, I think Blaise was a faerie princess of something that was about to try and bang him. After 400 years he was horny. Nice scene where Tonks kicks Snape's ass too.

Harry Potter and the White Owl - Hedwig miraculously turns into a woman. How or why the fic didn't quite get to, but she kept wanting to protect and have sex with her Harry-wizard. She received identical results on her "OWLS" as Harry (though never took them) and they were going to take the same classes then etc... Her 'hands' were clawish and would scratch people insulting her Harry-wizard or girls lusting for him. Didn't get far enough. Diagon Alley and a wand for her was about it.

Harry Potter and the Medallion of Seth - Real long one where Life and Death are entities that don't get involved. Their wives Fate and Destiny ocasionally make them though. Or not really, though they do save Harry from Voldie when he attacks and leave behind this coin, the medallion of seth. I think this one involved a wandless patronus that exploded from his hand in bloody gore and it was a real corporeal protector. "Prongs" gored and killed a Dementor, Harry grabbed a vial and got some uncontaminated Dementor Blood, Displayed the dementor carcass when Fudge tried to expel him for casting a patronus in view of muggles. There was a "mage" fella, wizards who do magic without wands who was in a martial arts class with Harry. And a female OC who may have also been in the class. American transfer to Hogwarts I think. I think Harry may have fallen into a coma and is spending a few years on an elven plane or something. This might be the one where the Weasley's are actually a family of elves, and it's like Arthur's brother that helps Harry out... Hard to remember it all. Been too long. I remember in one of the battles the Medallion of Seth completely swallowed up a Killing Curse with no problems. Maybe Merlin was the last person to have been presented a Medallion of Seth and they're a mark of something else special.

Harry Potter and the Highway to Hell - This one was so close to being finished. Such a good story too. Harry gets killed by maybe Pettigrew, meets up with Sirius in Hell. His parents are in Heaven. And there's a real bad place for the bad people. Hell is where the mischievous but fun people are. Satan is this hot chick, flirts endlessly. Harry pranks her and pisses her off, even though there's a lot of unspoken sexual tension between them. There's a hall of records where Harry finds out he's lived like thousands and thousands of lives as he's the like first and original pure soul. Dumbledore used to be Merlin. Beings had power levels. Harry was like Human with a level of 2. But then his level grew and kept growing. And he wasn't human. Albus was like a 6 and Voldemort a 7 maybe. Satan I think was a 14 as was like Loki or something maybe. Jehovah kinda ran all three and was 15 highest other than the Creator. Harry's existence just kinda shifted and the problem was he couldn't lose when he tried. As in he kicked Satan's ass even though that shouldn't be possible. So he hopped back through the worlds back to the mortal one where Voldie is doing all sorts of havoc. Kills pettigrew in the center of Diagon Alley for a crowd, exposes him etc... in hopping worlds he meets up with this other magical being whos' like a 12. Becomes harry's friend etc... Lucius Malfoy gets a lucky shot on Harry's back and kills him again. Harry gets pissed fights his way back up again, this time the powers that be are worried and Sirius used to be some sort of archangel thing, so he and Lily and James get to come back up and try to help Harry. It gets freaky, Albus dies, Voldie's winning and then Harry gets kissed by a dementor. The pure soul becomes tainted, which sort of undoes everything as the creator is flawed then. It seemed like harry was really gone, and now Voldemort sort of controls everything as the new creator. Still love that moment where all through heaven and hell the voice just echoed. "I AM LORD VOLDEMORT AND I AM GOD!" Now Loki sort of fucked things up and was going to try and take down Voldie as they were all fubared beyond recognition now. And that's about where it was. Had a great scene where Voldie with his almighty powers turns Draco into a woman and just makes 'her' his brutal nasty lil love slave of sorts.

Harry Potter and the Burden of Truth - This one was HONKS and was the one that was first removed, then Master Eldryn was rewriting or editing and slowly began posting it back up again. I never read it before it got toasted but I read the bits as he was reposting it. Harry's gets the old voice in his head helping him out when something like 20 death eaters come after them at Privet Drive. He protects the Dursleys and himself by summoning this mega-demon creature thing. Then Merlin shows up, looking maybe even a little younger than Dumbledore. And he's just pissed that someone without control was summoning a demon way beyond what he should be messing. Merlin's angry and semi-ranting... certainly one of the better merlin's in fic. Don't remember much beyond this though. :/

I'm probably forgetting others. Like on Potter's Place he had a three chapter story where he was Hogwarts immortal protector and he took Narcissa as his immortal lover. Real bad-ass with him just jumping off the highest tower and having dragon wings, or landing with gigantic Hulk smash landing. But these are the ones I remember from fanfiction.net.

Feel free to correct me or add more.

Oh and thesteffis's Harry Potter and the White Queen (or something like that) Master E. wrote chapter two for. Bloody brilliant chapter with Harry sort of a doofus, Fawkes laying a phoenix egg that became an ico phoenix on Harry's head. Harry lost his animagus form when he was a baby of some massive hellhound thing. The killing curse killed it, so now his animagus form is a ghost spectral kind of thing. When his ice phoenix was born and they bonded he got elemental control over that and his ghostly form can freeze shite, and he could even freeze spells in mid air, etc... such a good chapter. I mean even these summaries just sound cool as hell, especially handled by a very skilled writer. *sigh*

I know. I'm a fanboy.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Wow, these really sounds great. Unfortunately, the guy had flipped before I started downloading stories from FFN, so I don't have any of these on HD. And I want them! *stomps foot like a petulent child* Nonjon's teasing tactics are pure EVIL! :)

It's like in that episode of South Park when Cartman bought an amusement park and then forbid anyone from using it but himself. Of course, now that it was off limits, everyone wanted in...

So, now I HAVE to find at least some of these stories...

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Hmmmm you remembered more of them then I did.

One thing I will add is that on his website there was a section that was talking about a book he was planning on writing and get published. It was something about werewolves and it is possible that an unstated reason for quitting fanfiction was to focus on it, of course that website has been gone for a long time now and he might have given up on that idea, but it is a possibility. I wish I remembered the title he was giving it because I wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for it if he ever went through with it.

14. nonjon

It's been way too long since I read any of them. Thinking about them like this is my nicotine patch when what I really want is a goddamn cigarette.

But I'm stuck because he doesn't want them spread, and I don't want to ask for them. But I really want to just read them again. Sigh.

I wonder if I built him a shrine he'd post them there.

15. Mrriddler

Wow, awesome stories, all with great plots as well. I remember Steffis's White Queen though, darn wish I was dling at the time as well.

16. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

No this board won't let us join topics, only split from and split selected.

Regardless of the guy's ability that is a screwed reason to throw a tantrum and strip everything. He should of been honored folks liked his stuff so much

17. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I suppose he should have been. Were the people who posted them giving him credit for it? If not I'd be pissed too.

18. SoulesS

SoulesS First Year

Master Eldryn's stories were great except the one with Merlin scolding Harry and mentoring Ron.

(If you want the second chapter of Harry Potter and the White Queen send me a PM with your e-mail.)

19. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Meh.. i was an Eldryn supporter until he when sucking bitch on everyone...

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I guess they had to if he was getting emails about how much they enjoyed the fics.

Not open for further replies.