1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Game with attaining Godhood as the ultimate goal?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by garion1500, Feb 4, 2008.

1. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

Greetings one and all

There are many excellent fantasy games out there, Neverwinter Nights as an example, where characters are able to become very powerful through magic, weapon skill, etc. However, while these types of characters may become what some might characterize as 'god-like' they are not truly so in any sense of the word nor is their ultimate aim to become one.

While there are a few games out there that attempt to make the player a god, such as Black and White and Populous(sp?) these games seem to be lacking something IMHO. I played B&W briefly when it first appeared and the premise seemed rather pointless to me: be a god, create a giant pet, nurture it and your villagers, and occasionally get into a fight with others such as yourself. Populous might have been a step in the right direction but has become horribly outdated.

The only recent possibility I have seen might be the game Overlord or the PS2 God of War series. However, reviews of Overlord have not been exactly stellar, and while Kratos in GOW does become a god, he possessed the power but briefly and we do not have much of a chance to do anything with it.

Does anyone know of a game where the main character attempts to become a god through various means and in the end, actually succeeds and is able to use said power? Or perhaps as an alternate, is already a god and must maintain their status against usurpers and other gods?

2. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Baldur's gate, Baldur's gate Tales of the sword coast, Baldur's gate 2, Baldur's gate 2 Shadows of Amn. Though it is a spoiler to say so, ultimately in the end of this massive game you may ascend to godhod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_series

I recommend finding the mods BG1 Tutu and Ascension.

Though of course if you prefer rpgs like the newer filth then this won't suit your tastes at all. Dialogue heavy, no kill x mob kill quests and more character interaction & development than you can throw a stick at.

3. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

pfft, Overlord's awesome funny, but it isn't the sort of game that should be mentioned in the same paragraph as the games listed above.

Black and White 2 is better, but buggier.

4. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

You know, thats an interesting idea. Actually being a god and using it to it's full potential, that would call up a allot of sellers.

sigh Sadly my computer is 3 years old and the hard drive failed about seven times. cries in the corner

5. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

Thinking about it, you could play Dungeon Keeper 2. You are for all intents and purposes a god or a demi-god.

6. garion1500

garion1500 Third Year

I actually enjoy Dungeon Keeper 2.

Baldur's gate is a good suggestion, thanks! :) I'll look into it.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Summoner, for the PS2, was a bit like Black & White, in that you get the choice to ascend to godhood at the end of the game. Also had this funky credit scene that was quite hilarious :D. Pretty kick ass game though, a bit like a precursor to FFXII, though not as good storyline or graphics.

Aekiel

8. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Now those were good video games! I really need to look around for my copies of them. I would love to play them again.

There, I fixed it for you.