PDA

View Full Version : Bertie resigns

Seratin
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Bertie Ahern yesterday resigned from his post as Taoiseach. Bertie Ahern was and is a great leader, the type of man who would sit down and have a pint and doesn't bother to cover his farts. The press hounded him out of office, but in reality, what politician has never taken a 'donation' or two? It was nothing harmful compared to what he could have done.

Link. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7326086.stm)

Oh and Enda Kenny is a tool. Nothing against fine geal. He's just a tool.

Dark Belra
04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Do the people here know who Bertie is?

Back to Bertie, It's a shame that he is gone but I guess change will be good for Ireland because some things really need to change.

Lindow
04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Okay so could some of our Irish DLPers help me out with this? So I understand that Bertie is the taoiseach which is like the Prime Minister right? Bertie is also the leader of the Fianna Fáil, which is like one of the political parties right? So what does the Irish President do if there is a taoiseach (Prime Minster), is the President like a figurehead or something, or do the President and taoiseach share power or something?

Seratin
04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
The president is like the queen. A figure of public authority that has very little non-monetary power. She has the power to sign bills in and out but it's almost never done. It's really just symbolic. The only real reason a presidential position was established was to cement our status as an independent state.

When someone hears Taoiseach they might not know what it means, but most of the world know what President means. A lot of people even now believe that Scotland, Wales and Ireland are minor states in England. Scotland and Wales are a part of Britain not England and Ireland is just Ireland.

White Rabbit
04-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Irelands independence, does that include Northen Ireland?

Seratin
04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
I hope to god your not serious. I really do. Northern Ireland is currently a part of the U.K. That position is only being held because there are slightly more Unionists that Nationalists in those six counties. And thats debateable.

Countys like Fermanagh and Tyrone have large Nationalist population, and while Unionism is declining at the moment, Nationalism is rising.

The current figures are in the region of 45/55% in favour of unionism. There are claims that the real figure is 50/50 and Westminster is tampering but there is no evidence.

It is estimated that in the next ten years Nationalism will overtake Unionism and a vote will be held to decide the future of the North.

Clarification: Unionists = Pro Britain, anti Republic
Nationalists = Anti Britain, Pro Republic

Darth_Revan
04-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the issue at hand. Did this PM-of-sorts accept a bribe/inappropriate-donation and thus was forced to tender his resignation?

As for the North and the Republic: My take is that what with the resolved (apparently) situation concerning the IRA and such, and the current political climate in both Belfast and London, nothing is going to happen any time soon. Added to that the fact that the Parliament has final say on matters of independence within the U.K., it's unlikely at best...