1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sheeza88: A message

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Shezza, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

This really shits me.

Harry Potter and the Stargate was pulled off the site, the Admin decided that it either A) Had a poll, B) Had an overly long A/N or C) Had a reveiw reponse.

Now, I don't know if that's true or not. I wrote the damn story a while ago. So, I'm stting here. staring at the e-mail and suddenly my slow brain starts tinkering. Harry Potter and the Stargate was a completed story.....it hadn't been updated in a long time...therefore, I don't expect that it was one of the Admin happily reading it when S/He noticed the 'Error' and decided to pull it....

So, I've deduced that it was a reveiwer who told the administration. Why would anybody want to remove a completed story with fairly accurate grammer, spelling and lots and lots of words is beside me. Perhaps it was a disguntled person, annoyed that I had never finished my stories. Perhaps it was a newtime reader who was a stiff...I don't know but I'm leaning for the former.

In that case, I am deciding whether I will pull every single one of the my stories except the Wheel of Time one I'm working on now. If I'm right, and I think I am, then congratulations...you won't ever get an update on any of my stories again. In fact, I doubt you'll ever read them from here again.

Considering that I was in the middle of working on the next chapter for my Wheel of Time Fanfiction, and that next week I go back for my last year of school, I'm mostly pissed at the upload ban. Stilll, why the fuck would anybody want to remove a completed story like mine when there are undoubtly crappier gramatical stories, or stories where the author just has to answer each damn reveiw.......

Oh, and I only have up to Chapter 36 on my harddrive. So that means that I can't even upload it again, because I'm missing the ending. If by chance, somebody did save it to disc, could you email it to me?

In a pissed off mood

Shezza88

2. Shezza

There.
    I have deleted all of my old, unfinished and abandoned stories. I won't let this happen to me again...
    If you want them, leave your email and I'll send my copies of it to you. It should be roughly the same.

Shezza88

3. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

*Sigh*

Who knows how they work over at ff.net. I've never been a fan of stargate and so haven't read this fic, which means I don't have a hard copy of it. You may just have some luck finding one here though.

4. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Man... this is depressing...

Fuck FF.Nuts. Damnation to the fuckin' admins who decided to do this. What the FUCK is wrong with them!?

Shezza, could I get the whole package? my email is here at lutris.argutiae@gmail.com

Unbelievable, this is.

We have the H/G shippers to blame for this. The admins at FF probably decided to 'go with the flow' and kill off all the good things there.

[rant continues]

5. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

FF.net is just plain stupid. Shezza, you should post your stories at PatronusCharm when it's done.

Anyway, can you send me all your stories too?
    email- foulglory@hotmail.com

6. Shezza

7. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

FF.net seems to have an automatic pruning program that removes all good stories and copies the slash and mpreg, so it can repost it under a different username.

So the amount of slash, mpreg, and H/G will grow exponentially.

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Shezza takes a hit and he is down!

Bah. This is always inevitable. It's like getting pulled over for speeding, getting away with a warning, and then ten months later they take you to jail for all the drugs that were in your trunk ten months ago. Even though you been clean and sober for months.

It's easy to think those rules are ridiculously stringent, stretch them as much as we can and think we've gotten away with it. Then one person gets irritated for whatever reason reports you as abuse and the admins kill it with barely a thought.

I'll be honest with you Shezza, I'm nearly certain that story had a few polls. Things where you ask reviewers "Should I put the whole fic here? Or end it and start a sequel? Do you want Harry to be with Lya? Would you rather..." That kind of stuff they count as polls. If you're asking a question of your readers, it's a poll. The sort of thing that should be on the forums now. Of course they didn't have forums back then, but it still violates their rules. Considering how often they're enforced, it just plain sucks whenever you take a hit. Especially because the shitty fics no one cares about will never get reported... because no one cares about them. You'd think, if there's an abuse report, they could cc those reports anonymously to the author, and give the author like 24 hours to address the abuse. Whether it's going through the chapters and removing the offending bits or ignoring the abuse report as bullhonkey. But completely toasting the story, preventing you from posting new chapters is just harsh.

I had a tiny ass old one-shot toasted just over a week ago. I won't hardly compare losing a one-shot with barely 40 reviews as anywhere near the same as your long-ass multi-chaptered thousands of reviews finished fic. Especially if you didn't have your own copies of the fic elsewhere. (That's pretty silly on your part though, it's not like ff.net hasn't toasted tons of other great fics in the past.) But the reason my old-ass forgotten one-shot got me locked out from uploading was simply an admin thought it was more of a "M" rating than the "T" I had given it (or PG-13 vs. R which I think may have been the rating system back then). Not against any other rule or anything, just a subjective interpretation of what it should be rated. *sigh*

I can see how frustrating and irritating it would be, but this is what everyone signs up for by posting at fanfiction.net. You get the most massive audience, and a decent setup for editing and posting chapters. At the expense of the continuous risk of falling victim to random abuse reports and a horrid overall system towards the authors. Tons of great authors have been sickened by them and pulled all their stories, many of them posting elsewhere, some not posting again at all.

I'm kind of surprised stuff like Ruskbyte's fics (OotP and WoS) haven't gotten toasted for review responses. Although that might not have been against the rules when he posted those chapters, it is now, and if anyone felt like reporting him I bet the same would happen. fanfiction.net is highly popular also because it is catered more towards pleasing the readers, more people = more traffic = more $$$ for their advertising. Most fanfic sites are catered towards the authors, keeping them happy, meeting their needs. fanfiction.net simply has the size and power that they can get away with losing all the best authors and pissing them off, deleting huge great fics randomly, and generally maintaining a crappy abuse policy with no need to fix it. Because it's still the easiest site for new authors and there will be others with stories almost as good still there.

Annoying, frustrating, complete bullhonkey, but it's the way they've been for as long as I can remember. Until there's a genuine site in competition with them, they're free to keep calling out "No soup for you!" to even their most popular and loyal customers.

I'm just glad to see you're still posting the stuff elsewhere. Direct your anger at fanfiction.net's shitty handling of abuse reports. Not at the people who love your fics.

9. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Agree with nonjon.

I have the missing chapters, so if you still need them, drop me your e-mail and I'll send them.

Cheers and keep your head up!

10. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Giovanni is angered by the FF.retard website.

Giovanni is going to take it out on every single slash and mpreg fic he runs across.

11. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

I too am angry about this...I think i'm gonna go join Gio...right after i join that yahoo group

12. Shezza

As usual nonjon....it takes somebody calm and sensible to throw me out of my bitchy little temper..........
    Yeah, you're right. I just don't see why anybody would alert the Admin about a finished story. I mean, it's the only story I ever completed...granted, the sequel was a bit fuzzy.......
    I've gotten several people saying that managed to save Harry Potter and the Stargate, which I'm glad about. I only had up to Ch36 in a ZIP file on my USB....the rest were lost when I had to delete my XP account quickly due to a hostile takeover by a Virus....
    Thanks for everybodies kind messages. I certainly am not going to take it out on you.....it'll take a couple of days to scrap together the remaining chapters which are floating on my second USB somewhere in the Nuclear Warzone they call my room, and then post them on the Yahoo Group.
    Sincerely,
    Shezza88

13. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

*sigh* It's amazing how many great authors pack their bags and leave ff.net. Joes6991 ring any bells?

While it's too late now, I think you should've kept your numerous fics up so others can enjoy them. Meh. Your decision I suppose. Though I think you should've calmed down before taking action.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

:x Or Jeconias.

15. nonjon

Agreed. The nice thing about the week long ban you get for your first infraction (or at least what I got) is that you can still log in, edit, etc... just not add new chapters. So you can fix all your other stuff to meet with whatever rule ff.net chose to enforce on your unfortunate story.

And yes, probably the 5 or 6 authors I would call my favorites have nearly all left fanfiction.net. Even a few others I don't particularly care for like Aspen in the Sunlight or (lately) Bobmin. I mean it's not simply bad luck that the most popular stories usually go. It's because those are the ones getting the most attention. A slash fic with 20 reviews can be violating a million while the slash fic with 3000 reviews has to obey every one to the letter of the law.

It's why a sudden unexpected deletion of story or author doesn't even really surprise me. It's practically routine. And I find it hard to believe it's really affecting the site that much when a dozen or so of the most popular authors pull their fics and only post elsewhere. Because even with every other archive we think of and compare too, none of them are anywhere near the size in both users or stories as fanfiction.net. Especially when you remember how much more than just harry potter fan fiction is being dealt with by that site. And languages too. They've got a Bible section. I'd imagine the abuse reports that "fanfiction" section must get would be interesting.

If you're frustrated and decide to abandon fanfiction.net, I'd recommend removing all but the first chapter, and at the bottom of that first chapter leaving an author's note about why the story is gone and where the whole story can be found. That way at least leaves the marker there, as well as your reviews, etc... I mean Shezza deleted thousands and thousands of reviews pretty quick there. Knowing what people thought of my fic, is half the time as important as the fic to me.

But yeah... it can be hard not to get emotional if/when it happens.

16. nonjon

Hell Jeconais' whole site is populated by the goodies who left fanfiction.net:
    Jeconais, Draco664, Kinsfire, Bobmin. Aspen in the Sunlight's A Year Like None Other had over 5000 reviews and got toasted. That was when RossWrock's did too, but he got the admins to fix his. Sarinileni had a James/Lily romance (that I hated but still) with well over 5000 reviews toasted. Master Eldryn, Joe6991, Crys, thesteffis, and tons more have either left voluntarily or gotten toasted. I remember when they made the "song lyrics=no" rule a bunch left. Some since have been deleted for that reason. fanfiction.net has the size, but with that size comes a lot of drawbacks. And it says something that so many of the most popular stories and authors get toasted.

It's not a conspiracy, just a product of their system.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Yeah, I remember seeing an update on "This Means War" ( I've admitted before to past h/g shipping ) where he linked to his yahoo group and said FF.net's no song lyrics policy was his last straw...*sigh* Fuck I hate the system.

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It was A and C I believe, I hadn't read it, but I remember Sera mentioning a chapter 30 in this very thread

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

...I posted that only with my usual facetious sarcasm, naturally. No offense intended. I only wish I could pull numbers like those. Though I do legitamitely find it a bit sad that readers are that obsessed with pairings.

20. bornagainpenguin

bornagainpenguin DLP Archivist

I'd like a copy too!

Sorry to hear about the latest bullshit at FF.net.

Could I get a copy of the whole package also?

b o r n a g a i n p e n g u i n @ g m a i l . c o m

I broke the address up by spaces to avoid the spambots. I only seem to average two spams a day in that box and I'd like to keep it that way! :p

--bornagainpenguin