PDA

View Full Version : The Codex Alera

LogrusMage
06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
So... I went to the book store to get into Dresden, I searched for Jim Butcher, and lo and behold a vast amount of books with Dresden in them! And then... I noticed they had multiple copies of every book in the series except the first one -_-.

So, I picked up the first book in the Codex Alera series.

Read it straight through in one night. Fucking loved it.

I figured we could use a new thread about this awesome series, mainly because the next oldest thread I found mentioning them was a specific question, and I would have felt very necroish had I posted there.

What I love:
~Furycrafting. Not wholly original, but certainly a fresh look at magic, and a damn cool magic system.
~Fury-less Tavi. The fact that the hero has no magic, when EVERYONE else does (no exceptions) is fucking cool. His character is so well done it bamboozles me (I honestly couldn't think of another word). I'm starting the second book, and am damn excited to see Tavi will be a BMF without magic.
~Fidelias. Enough said.
~The Marat. Also enough said.
~Fade. Not to spoil, but even though I saw it coming, the foreshadowing could not have been better.

What I did not like:
~The contrieved "everyone important lives" BS. But whatever, they're all pretty awesome characters, it just irked me how they ALL lived.
~The parts from Isana's POV bored the crap out of me. Even the Amaris parts bored me a bit. I wish he would concentrate more on his main character.
~Bernard/Amara had me WTFing a bit.

This series has such ridiculous crossover possiblities. Its magic system deserves more light in the fandomme world. While I would not want to see any Codex Alera fanfiction (authors would be far to tempted to give Tavi a fury, which would not be good IMO), I really want to see this magic system used in fics, Harry Potter and otherwise.

Fuegodefuerza
06-01-2008, 09:23 PM
~Fury-less Tavi. The fact that the hero has no magic, when EVERYONE else does (no exceptions) is fucking cool. His character is so well done it bamboozles me (I honestly couldn't think of another word). I'm starting the second book, and am damn excited to see Tavi will be a BMF without magic.

That's actually what has kept me from reading this series. How does Butcher manage to pull it off? I've been meaning to get an intelligent perspective on how that part works out. Care to help?

Jangel
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
I think you should read more of the series before you reject it completely.

Tehan
06-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Me and Sree have been pimping this on IRC for fucking ages now, and you pick it up on your own? Fuck you.

Oh, and the first book is indeed rather good, but it is mere setup for the unending awesome that is the following books. And that Bernard's sekrit loliwife creeps you out just means you don't spend enough time on DLP.

Ragon
06-02-2008, 12:25 AM
The first book was the most boring of them all to me. It was a struggle to read but I liked it. Once I got to the 3rd book it really picked up.

As to how Butcher pulls off the main character being the weakest of them all is simple. He compensates by using his brain and what he has at the moment.

Philly Homer
06-02-2008, 12:44 AM
The third book (Cursor's Fury) is the best one, yet.

The First Lord is fucking awesome, let's just say something about a volcano erupting, and leave it at that.

Amara and Isana are both boring, Isana more so than anyone else. Her story continues to worsen in the levels of boring, IMO, throughout the series.

Tavi's furycrafting or lack there of doesn't not make him any less of a bad ass. In fact, he has soudly defeated many of the powerful furycrafters without any furies what so ever.

Fidelias is a very interesting character, his story is one of the most intriguing ones, in the series...

Kitai bugs me, a lot. We criticize fanon for having soulmate bonds, yet the whole Kitai/Tavi thing is based on that. Although Tavi does benifit from it, in a major way. Still I hope she dies in one of the future books...

Anlun
06-02-2008, 12:59 AM
I wasn't a fan of the first book, but I found the second one amazing. I didn't like the first one because I'm not a fan of Amara, and that was an Amara heavy book. Isana was slow in the book, but I've come to like her character, and how it has evolved.
Tavi is just badass, and he only gets more and more badass as the series progresses, which I think is why I liked the second one. The second one is the point where I think he becomes awesome, and his band of sidekicks kickass.
Maximus is by far my favorite character. For some reason I tend to enjoy the badass, sleep with countless chicks, drunk sidekicks in fantasy the most.

Andro
06-02-2008, 01:23 AM
I've been thinking of writing a Knight Omnis!Harry. Harry casts spells utilizing wind, fire, water, etc. and Tavi, who witnesses this and is building alliances to secure his position as Princeps, decides to propagandize him as a Knight Omnis.

When he founds out that Harry's punch is piss-weak and can't seduce a gal for beans, he'll make a joke that he isn't an earthcrafter.

I disliked the Marat essentially being domesticated in a single book.

But what I found most nforgivably amateurish was Tavi's +500 luck. Something he didn't know compelled him to go the right house where the Black Cat was planning on dropping by?

It undermines the whole handicapped protagonist who must compensate using his brains routine.

Sree
06-02-2008, 01:27 AM
People: Use some damn sense before posting spoilers. This isn't a HP book, most everyone on the forum has not read the books. Especially the OP of the thread. Try not to ruin it for others.

Andro: There's a very obvious explanation. The fucking bond. It wasn't luck.

The Fine Balance
06-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Book 4 spoilers.

I'm really intrigued about the 'soul bond'. Considering that, in the 3rd book, it Kitai was who shut off the fury lamp, I'm wondering if he'll reverse their positions: that it will be her who'd develop the external furies while his remain internalized

Gabrinth
06-02-2008, 02:09 AM
I've always wondered why everyone on this site always mentioned the Dresden Files, but never mention the Codex Alera.

I actually liked the Codex Alera a bit more than the Dresden Files. I missed the humor and the quirky comments of the Dresden cast, but you could really see the characters grow in the Codex, and that is what I like to see the most.

Now, it's been months since I read Captain's Fury, so I don't really remember anyone's name, so I can't really go into detail about why I love each character and everything.

What I can say is that each book gets more and more epic, and I danced around like a fool when I found out the next book is coming out in December. I can't fucking wait.

Demons In The Night
06-02-2008, 04:04 AM
I love Codex Alera. I had some reservations going in, and it took me awhile to get over furyless!Tavi, but it gets better and better. I can't wait till the next book comes out (I think this December).

PS, major spoiler:

Tavi actually starts showing signs of small scale crafting in book 4. I have a feeling this will be a big factor in the future books. His power will almost certainly grow. I mean, afterall, he is the Princeps, and with everyone that's going to be after him, he's going to need more than cleverness, sword skill, +500 luck, and small scale crafting to survive.

eXcalite
06-02-2008, 05:18 AM
Any rumours abou the release date of the fifth book?

The Fine Balance
06-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Yesh. Here it is:

This title will be released on December 2, 2008.Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Princeps-Fury-Codex-Alera-Book/dp/0441016383)

Tehan
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Philly_Homer:

The Kitai/Tavi relationship is no more a soul bond than what Doroga has with his gargant or Hashat has with her horse. They work better with each other than they do separately, know each other's relative locations, and a couple of other perks. The reason for their (ahem) mutual pleasuring is that they're horny teenagers, not TWU WUV SOULBOND.

LogrusMage
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Me and Sree have been pimping this on IRC for fucking ages now, and you pick it up on your own? Fuck you.

Oh, and the first book is indeed rather good, but it is mere setup for the unending awesome that is the following books. And that Bernard's sekrit loliwife creeps you out just means you don't spend enough time on DLP.

I figured out it was a big setup when I read the titles of 2 through 4. I'm stoked to read them. And it wasn't the loliness that had me WTFing it was how it wasn't foreshadowed very well. Unlike the other twists, Fidelias early on, Fade, the Marat ect.

The first book was the most boring of them all to me. It was a struggle to read but I liked it. Once I got to the 3rd book it really picked up.

As to how Butcher pulls off the main character being the weakest of them all is simple. He compensates by using his brain and what he has at the moment.

He's also crazy lucky. But I got over that. At least he has the brains to take advantage of said luck, unlike HP.

Oh, and I could give a shit about the soul bond thingy. They didn't immediately get together, and I have a thing for pale, athletic, topless chicks with bleach blonde hair. Go figure.

The Wizard
06-02-2008, 03:53 PM
The series is pure unadulterated awesome.
I'm still on the third book just after,
Tavi and Kitai see all of the Canim ships burning.
This shit just keeps getting better.

<3 Jim Butcher

Fuegodefuerza
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Alright, cool. I'll go pick these up, then. Thanks a lot guys.

Cxjenious
06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Yall have convinced me to read the series.

The-Hyphenated-One
06-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Me too, but I just went to my library and the first book is checked out :(

LogrusMage
06-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I think a big appeal of this series is the fact that the main character actually improves. He starts near-pathetic, and moves towards epic and a steady, and considering the genre, believable rate. No "oo wow I'm actually the son of the Legendary Furycrafter who'se powers have been biding their time till now!", no "Now that I have a proper teacher I'm suddenly uber!" and no "I'm just a lucky sumbitch who will never even attempt to make up for my shortcomings!".

He's a genuine, hardworking hero who OVERCOMES and WORKS AROUND his handicap, instead of having it arbitrarily removed or simply staying in a pathetic state and relying on Deus Ex Machina every time.

EDIT: HOLY FUCKING GOD. I just read Tavi's first major fight scene in Academ's Fury... so much fucking concentrated win... The following chapters as well...

It's official. Tavi is now tied with Bean as my favorite main character of all time.

Cxjenious
06-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Meh, I'm just going to go steal them from Barnes and Noble. Southpole jeans have deep pockets.

LogrusMage
06-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Finished book two just now. A bit disappointed with the final twist (or foreshadowing, though it is kind of obvious), though only because of what it may or may not mean for Tavi.

If Tavi ever get's a fury, I will be downright pissed off. If he does not get a fury, ever, than I can 100% live with the twist.

Gonna buy the third book sometime morrow.

Tehan
06-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, it's so annoying when the main character of a series gets stronger, amirite? Everything should be static and unchanging, forever.

LogrusMage
06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it's so annoying when the main character of a series gets stronger, amirite? Everything should be static and unchanging, forever.

Err... I never said I wanted Tavi weak. Quite the opposite. I'd just prefer him Furyless. Tavi getting a Fury would be disappointing because I'd like to see him become kick ass with the use of magic. It makes him an under dog, and makes it all that much more awesome when he is victorious via his wits.

As for the twist I was refering to... umm... I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with his strength.

EDIT: I could definitely live with him slowly developing fury powers or something, don't get me wrong. I just don't want a "heir to such and such" and "inherited power" bull shitting the likes of many Indy HP fics. I was only really thinking about that outcome, instead of a gradual one, which could actually be done very well. It's the whole "I am suddenly uber unlcoked!" that I want to avoid.

Calm down, Tehan =P

rj_stone2
06-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I envy you for the fact that you still have the experience of reading the Alera books for the first time ahead of you. The books just keep getting better and better, and you can actually get more out of the first couple of books if you re-read them later.

Butcher is a good enough writer that he can take a basically stupid premise (lost Roman legion + Pokemon) and make it a good story. I also really respect his two novel per year working rate. The problem is that it will ruin you for a lot of fanfiction, and even some other published fiction.

Another book you might like if you enjoy the Alera series is The Lies of Locke Lamora; it's like Ocean's Eleven in a fantasy setting.

Gabrinth
06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
I assume that Tavi will one day soon have a fury. When he does, that will be even more awesome. Why? Because, unlike the rest of the Fury users who rely on their magic, he learned how to kick ass as much as possible without it. So, once he gets a fury, it will just be another logical step up on the totem pole.

LogrusMage
06-05-2008, 11:48 PM
I assume that Tavi will one day soon have a fury. When he does, that will be even more awesome. Why? Because, unlike the rest of the Fury users who rely on their magic, he learned how to kick ass as much as possible without it. So, once he gets a fury, it will just be another logical step up on the totem pole.

This I'm fine with. I've just been filled with horror that Tavi will suddenly reveal he's the heir of Fury-lin, and can now command all furies.

Apparently, I need more faith in Butcher.

The Wizard
06-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Just finished the third one, and all I have to say is,
IMA CHARGIN MAH LASER AND THEN IMA GUNNA WTFPWN SOEM CANIM!!!
This just gets better and better.

Gabrinth
06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Apparently, I need more faith in Butcher.

lol, irony.

LogrusMage
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
lol, irony.

...afraid to ask, but why?

Fuegodefuerza
06-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Wow. I just finished the four books that are out right now, and all I can say is wow.

Amazing series of books. Absolutely stellar. And the best part, they improve in quality as they go along. It might take a little bit to figure out what's going on, since Butcher kind of throws the reader into the fire to start off, but once the storyline gets going, it's incredible.

I

<3

Butcher.

So much.

LogrusMage
06-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Book store still doesn't have Dresden #1 =P

Picked up Cursor's Fury, can't wait to read it.

Is the fifth book going to be the last for Alera, or will it continue ala Dresden? I noticed there are a LOT of Dresden books...

Butchers novel output is impressing me even more than Card's, and he puts out a LOT by most authors standards (JKR...).

Ryuugi Shi
06-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that Codex Alera is a six book series.

I think Butcher said so somewhere.

Gullible
06-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Ok, I 'acquired' this the other night and intended to just read the first couple of chapters and then go to sleep. I ended up staying up till 5 in the morning.

I'm lovin these books.

Sree
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Go buy the books fag, Butcher deserves that much from you. >_>

Gullible
06-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Go buy the books fag, Butcher deserves that much from you. >_>

If I enjoy them, I will.

I'd prefer to properly read them, but I'm testing the waters first.

I think he may be finding some of my hard cash in his account soon though, unless this series goes to hell in the next books.

Novamute
06-07-2008, 01:24 PM
The only real problem that I have with both of Butcher's series is that I discovered them before they were finished so now I have to endure the horrible waiting game for the next books. Luckily he puts out two books a year so there is not much lag time between new stuff. I really enjoy that Tavi gets by on pretty much wits alone and is not given random powerups to ensure that he succeeds. You can figure objectively that he will prevail in each book, but the path to his victories are hard won and very engaging.

Sree
06-07-2008, 01:47 PM
The series only gets better as time progresses. I have no doubt that the next book will triumph over the awesomeness that was Captain's Fury.

Drake
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Book 4 Spoilers:
I can't wait for the huge change in scenery that will occur in Book 5. Tavi's interactions with Canim so far have all been epic, so I can't wait to see what he does in the Canim home land. I can see him bringing his own Canim army home to enforce his position as the Princeps.

Sesc
06-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I thank you very much for the tip. Started reading the first book, and it provided a great distraction. Originally, I wanted to get some writing done over the weekend, but a tooth decided to interfere -- first I couldn't think straight though the pain, much less write something coherent, and now I feel like I'm high on pain-killers, so reading is the better choice -- for the next six hours, until I can at least try and get the tooth fixed.

The point being ... err, yes: I <3 Butcher, and my new favourite character so far is Odiana.

Gullible
06-07-2008, 10:04 PM
OK, on the second book and mostly, I'm loving it.

But goddamn the Amara/Bernard romance is grating on my nerves.

a) Its creepy
b) It gets way to much stage time
c) Its creepy
d) Amara needs to STFU about her 'I can't get pregnant' thing
e) Its really fucking creepy

Krogan
06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm going to be honest I haven't read any of the Codex Alera series, I tried to read the first one and it was just so slow. It seems like y'all really like the series, should I get them?

Sree
06-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Why do you even ask when all you have to do is read the past 2 pages and see how much everyone is raving about them?

Krogan
06-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Because just cause somebody raves about something doesn't automatically make it worth it, but I should have been more clear I was trying to get an idea of what the series is like, all I know is that its got something to do with Furies and a guy called Tavi.

Sree
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
... if you're asking us if you should read it, and everyone has loved it here that has read it, then it makes sense that you think our opinion is worth something and that whatever we say will have an impact on your choice. Your logic fails.

Also: Read the fucking summaries on Amazon.

Tehan
06-07-2008, 10:29 PM
But goddamn the Amara/Bernard romance is grating on my nerves.

a) Its creepy
c) Its creepy
e) Its really fucking creepy

You're on a board with Vash as a mod, and THIS creeps you out? Guessing roughly, I'd say Amara's in her early twenties, and Bernard somewhere in his thirties. I've been in a relationship with that much of a gap. It ain't all that weird. Harden the fuck up.

Sree
06-07-2008, 11:00 PM
... you've been with a 10 year old?

Kalas
06-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Please Sree, she was the 10-year-old.

Necrule Paen
06-07-2008, 11:32 PM
It was actually an 80 year old, he is just downplaying it.

Demons In The Night
06-07-2008, 11:33 PM
The only real problem that I have with both of Butcher's series is that I discovered them before they were finished so now I have to endure the horrible waiting game for the next books. Luckily he puts out two books a year so there is not much lag time between new stuff. I really enjoy that Tavi gets by on pretty much wits alone and is not given random powerups to ensure that he succeeds. You can figure objectively that he will prevail in each book, but the path to his victories are hard won and very engaging.This is what it feels like being a fan of George R R Martin.

I've been waiting for the next installment of A Song of Ice and Fire for what, like 2 years now?. Even when it does come out, I'm probably going to have to reread 2 of the most recent books just so to remind myself of all the various plotlines and shit that's happened so far.

Ragon
06-08-2008, 01:05 AM
The only problem I have with this update rate is this. Its a long ass time from April to December. Other than that its great.

LogrusMage
06-08-2008, 01:09 AM
This is what it feels like being a fan of George R R Martin.

I've been waiting for the next installment of A Song of Ice and Fire for what, like 2 years now?. Even when it does come out, I'm probably going to have to reread 2 of the most recent books just so to remind myself of all the various plotlines and shit that's happened so far.

Ha. I got a friend going through the same torture. Are the books that good? I've been told by multiple people they're the best fantasy has to offer ATM.

Gabrinth
06-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Ha. I got a friend going through the same torture. Are the books that good? I've been told by multiple people they're the best fantasy has to offer ATM.

Make new thread. More book threads are good.

Anyways, I'm not going to discuss why what you said was ironic, as that would be spoiling it. But let's just say that Tavi is no farm boy, and he will probably get at least a tiny bit of skill with furies eventually.

LogrusMage
06-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Make new thread. More book threads are good.

Anyways, I'm not going to discuss why what you said was ironic, as that would be spoiling it. But let's just say that Tavi is no farm boy, and he will probably get at least a tiny bit of skill with furies eventually.

Err... yeah I'd already figured that out. That's why it scared me :P No fears now though.

I just finished book three. Read it almost entirely through tonight. It's now morning.

I think I shat enough bricks to make a decent sized house, or at the very least, and oven.

I'm slowly coming to a terrifying realization: I only have one more book to go before I have to wait ;_;

Jim Butcher = God. I'm convinced. If Dresden is anything CLOSE to this good I'll be in good reading material for the entire summer... ok so more like half but... I'll just reread Codex Alera until the end :P

Gullible
06-08-2008, 05:31 AM
You're on a board with Vash as a mod, and THIS creeps you out? Guessing roughly, I'd say Amara's in her early twenties, and Bernard somewhere in his thirties. I've been in a relationship with that much of a gap. It ain't all that weird. Harden the fuck up.

TBH, I hardly ever read any of Vash's stuff.

And I always got the impression that Bernard was late 30's early 40's, which would mean a 20 year gap.

Also, part of my issue is with how sudden it happened, he was stressed, she kissed him, at practically there first meeting.

Ugh.

Other than that though, Butcher has created something Godly.

The Fine Balance
06-08-2008, 07:51 AM

Books 1-3 are exquisite. Book 4 lags a bit, but is still good.

http://www.inchoatus.com/Reviews/A_Game_of_Thrones,_Martin.htm

-Try this review.

Azrael's Little Helper
06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Crunching through the series right now, currently starting book 3. I'm supposed to be making up 5 weeks worth of building sketches and organising a design process record due in 2 days but some things are simply a force of nature.

Tehan
06-08-2008, 05:34 PM

I was in me late teens, she was just nudging thirty. Good times.

It's been a while since I read the books, but I don't think specific ages were discussed at any point. If Bernard was the younger sibling, he could easily be in his early thirties. Depending on how long the spy school takes, Amara could be in her mid twenties. If the age difference squicks you out that much, grasp onto these rationalisations. You can whittle it down to as little as half a dozen years.

As to how sudden it was, remember, Earthcrafters are a lot of fun in the sack. An Earthcrafter that strong? No wonder Amara leaped on him.

Gullible
06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I was in me late teens, she was just nudging thirty. Good times.

It's been a while since I read the books, but I don't think specific ages were discussed at any point. If Bernard was the younger sibling, he could easily be in his early thirties. Depending on how long the spy school takes, Amara could be in her mid twenties. If the age difference squicks you out that much, grasp onto these rationalisations. You can whittle it down to as little as half a dozen years.

As to how sudden it was, remember, Earthcrafters are a lot of fun in the sack. An Earthcrafter that strong? No wonder Amara leaped on him.

Rofl, yeah I guess, mostly I just ignore it now, concentrate on the awesomeness that is Tavi.

Spanks
06-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Question. I bought the first book and I started reading the prologue. The first page of the prologue starts on page 2, then page 3 has nothing printed on it (totally blank) and page 4 starts chapter 1. I called Barnes and Noble and asked about returning it and the employee looked and said that all the copies were like that. Is book supposed to be like that or did B&N get a bad batch?

The end of page 2 is Tavi being kissed by some girl and agreeing to do something, then blank page, then chapter 1. Just wondering, cause I can't start reading the book unless I am sure that's how it's supposed to be.

Tehan
06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
"Please, Tavi," wheedled the girl in the predawn darkness outside the stead-holt's kitchen. "Just this one little favor?"

"I don't know," said the boy. "There's so much work today."

She leaned in closer to him, and the boy felt her slender body mold against his, soft and lower-scented and delightful. She pressed her mouth to his cheek in a slow kiss and whispered in his ear, "I'd be very grateful."

"Well," the boy said. "I'm not sure if, um."

She kissed his cheek again and whispered, "Please."

His heart pounded more quickly, and his knees felt weak. "All right. I'll do it."

He's being sweet-talked into doing something by the holt slut. It'll make sense as of Chapter 3.

Ragon
06-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Book 4 was by far the best in my opinion. They get better by the book. Book 1 was a chore but good. Book 2 was better and smoother. Book 3 was great and easy to read. Book 4 was beyond great.

Chime
06-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I just devoured the first 3 books today. Fourth I'm three quarters done with...

Book 1: Meh.

I liked Tavi best in this one though. The succeeding installments, with the two years gap between each, just disconnects me from him too much. It feels like I'm missing out on all the things that made him grow. I guess I was expecting a bildungsroman, or something.

Book 2: Good.
Book 3: Great.
Book 4: Eh. So far, I'm not caring for it as much. The Vord were more interesting in book two, and in book three, there was still some mystery. Now, it's all just one action scene after another.

And the fact that it's finally confirmed that Tavi has a soulbond with Kitai really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, it's not doing anything obtrusive... but the fact that it's there...

It's not like it was even needed. Since the beginning, it's been obvious who Tavi will end up with and marry.

My thoughts on Kitai:

She's no Ginny, but, she's a horrendous mary-sue.

1. Marat, by nature, do not lie. Therefore, Kitai, cannot lie (this is big, I think. It means Kitai won't hide her feelings under any circumstances, won't try to protect or comfort Tavi from things he needs to know... it rends any possible conflict that could erupt in their relationship).
2. Strong, skilled
3. Beautiful.
4. Nymph, shameless
5. Attracted and attached to Tavi
6. soulbound
7. Strong willed, mostly confident
8. Loving
9. Accepting of Alerans, in general, and curious to pursue them – to understand them.
10. Humorous

...the list goes on. I can't come up with a flaw other than, "She cut her hair." (if I had a hot barbarian girlfriend I would never allow her to cut her hair military-style goddam it).

As a character, I can tolerate, and even like, her though. It's probably because Butch only has her talk when it's absoultely necessary, which isn't how Mary-Sues tend to behave.

But it's still a weak point in this series. I hope something changes... I know it was for a power boost, but it still feels wrong; unprofessional, almost. Tavi should have had a choice in the matter, atleast.

I mean, when he saved her, it just felt forced. He was halfway up the rope, she was half-dead. In his situation, I would never think of jumping down and feeding her a mushroom (that could accomplish nothing), bravery aside. It just doesn't seem logical.

Anlun
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
I felt similar only I liked book 2 more than 3, though 3 was badass as well. The fourth seemed to have too much action, and too little mystery and plot. Don't want to make too many comments so as not to ruin it, but I would of liked to see a bit more involvement in the secondary characters. I would liked to know more about Max's life, and I'm one of the few who enjoy the politics in the books, which the last one seemed to lack. I think the next one will be a lot better, since it will be in a new land, and new culture but we'll see. Still a great series.

Ragon
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
It's not like it was even needed. Since the beginning, it's been obvious who Tavi will end up with and marry.

That isnt the purpose behind the bond. Butcher used this bond to help Tavi. Its not the love part. Without it they would probably never have meet again. Tavi needed to soul bond to even have a chance at some of the things he has done. He gained additional strength and sped from the bond.

Gullible
06-18-2008, 03:15 AM
I hate Butcher, he writes too slow.
-__-

The Wizard
06-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Lol. I agree and disagree. The rate at which he turns out books is phenomenal... but not fast enough for me. I want moar! XD

LogrusMage
06-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Kitai is not a Mary Sue. At all. You just need a demonstration of the power of a High Lord. You'll get it in Captain's Fury.

Both Tavi and Kitai's 'powers' are a blip on the radar. They're both clever and resourceful, but they couldn't take down a powerful crafter without some serious planning time. Think of them as Batmam/woman in a land filled with Supermen/women.

As well, Kitai simply does not attempt to do things she can't do. She doesn't try to understand the Aleran political scene, she just follows Tavi's lead.

To compare Kitai, whose prowess and skill was built up across the books and who has seen some real development, to Ginny in ANY way is ludicrous.

Tehan
06-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Once more, for Chime:

The Kitai/Tavi relationship is no more a soul bond than what Doroga has with his gargant or Hashat has with her horse. They work better with each other than they do separately, know each other's relative locations, and a couple of other perks. The reason for their (ahem) mutual pleasuring is that they're horny teenagers, not TWU WUV SOULBOND.

The SOULBOND HURR thing pisses me off more and more every time I hear it. You've been digging through the ocean of shit that is HP fanfic so long that you cry soulbond at the slightest provocation.

Since the beginning, it's been obvious who Tavi will end up with and marry.

At the beginning, it was obvious that Tavi would end up with and marry Amara. Later on, it was obvious that Kitai was a dude. Wind back on the dramatics before I find a way to telepathically punch you in the balls.

Gullible
06-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Once more, for Chime:

At the beginning, it was obvious that Tavi would end up with and marry Amara. Later on, it was obvious that Kitai was a dude. Wind back on the dramatics before I find a way to telepathically punch you in the balls.

A-motherfuckin-greed.

TBH, I like Kitai more than any of the other characters, excluding Tavi.

I would not be bothered at all if they married.

Tavi/Kitai 4eva!!!

LogrusMage
06-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Once more, for Chime:

The SOULBOND HURR thing pisses me off more and more every time I hear it. You've been digging through the ocean of shit that is HP fanfic so long that you cry soulbond at the slightest provocation.

You know, at first I couldn't tell why you were getting so worked up.

Now I'm wondering why you haven't found found these people and cut their testicles off yet.

Can't wait for the next book. Will start Dresden (my book store finally got the first one) sometime this week.

JohnThePyro
06-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Read all four during my net downtime, great series, but he uses the same phrases too-damn-much.

How many times can you use the phrase "almost contemptuously" when referring to sword play before it gets old? Maybe it's just because I went through the four books in such a low amount of time, but come on! By the end of the fourth I could tell you when the thing was going to be used before I read it.

Besides that, very good series.

Also, Butcher needs some new plot devices. Katai came out of the woodwork four times in the third and fourth book, and said this same line "Aleran, I need to show you something"/"Aleran, you need to see this". Twice in each book. I know it was needed to flesh out the story, but repitition makes for a dull series.

Ragon
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
The Prolouge and first 2 chapters are up at butchers site for the next book.

Mage
10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
There's a thread for it here, http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=11010

Gizmore
11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow, I started to read this yesterday at work and damn, it's good. Makes me smile all the time

"Tavi furrowed his brow. “We don’t have much time for explanations. How much do you know about Aleran politics?”

“I know that you people are all insane,” Kitai said."

Jenkins
11-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I dunno. I still can't force my way through the first one. I've tried 3 times and I get up to where Tavi and whats-her-name (Amara?) are stuck in the King's bunker or whatever during the storm. For some reason I can never get past that. It just feels like it's moving along so slowly.

Sree
11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Trust me, you emo faggot, get past the first half of book one, and you'll love the series.

Kalas
11-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Trust me, you emo faggot, get past the first half of book one, and you'll love the series.

^ This.

^ That.

^ See above.

Samuel Black
11-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Fucking shit. Picked the first one up earlier yesterday after I finally decided to give it a try, and I only have one thought.

Why the fuck did I wait so long? I haven't been that engaged in a book since I started reading the Dresden Files.

Sree
11-05-2008, 01:42 AM
:awesome

We have another recruit! Once you get to book 4, Samuel, you'll start liking it more than Dresden.

Fuegodefuerza
11-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Totally agree. I actually think I'm anticipating Princeps' Fury more than Turn Coat, something that I'd have never imagined doing before I finished Codex Alera. Jim Butcher's such an awesome writer. <3333

Lyndon Eye
11-06-2008, 01:10 AM
This is definitely better than Dresden, especially since the plot throughout the books is continuous rather than episodic. Overall, the series is just more polished and engaging for the reader too.

The complexity of the politics between the races, as well as within the races, is probably my favorite aspect of Alera.

Gizmore
11-06-2008, 04:16 AM
"My ass hurts," said Antillar Maximus, Tribune Auxiliarus of the First Aleran.

"My ass hurts, sir," Tavi corrected him.

Readin' the fourth book and I'm lovin' it!

Lucullus
11-09-2008, 07:02 AM
We have another recruit! Once you get to book 4, Samuel, you'll start liking it more than Dresden.

I haven't read Dresden yet, but man, I don't know how you guys managed to last this long waiting for Princeps' Fury. I've only just read the first 4 books last month and I'm already suffering from withdrawal.

Taure
11-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Read all the books this last week, already pre-ordered Princeps Fury. Nov 25th here we come!

I'm also thinking about writing a one-shot Alera fan fic based around "What if Septimus had lived?"

Also, there's a hell of a lot of information Butcher has given out about the series that isn't in the books.

The Vord are Aliens and came to Carna in a space ship. Go back to FoC and read the Wax Forest description, and you'll see that it reads a lot like an impact crater. The "tree" at the centre of the forest is the spaceship.

Carna is not an alternate Earth in which something changed during the time of the Roman empire. Rather, it is a different planet/dimension that a lost Roman legion found themselves transported to accidentally. That legion was the beginning of Alera. They wiped out 2 other races completely, one of which is the "Children of the Sun". The Marat also began on another world and found themselves transported to Alera. It may be that all of the races are the same, though the numbers of the Canim may indicate that they are native to the world.

The Vord are ALIENS. WE ARE THE BORG. YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Furies are pokemon.

Lucullus
11-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm also thinking about writing a one-shot Alera fan fic based around "What if Septimus had lived?"

You know, this got me thinking. Why aren't there any fanfics of The Codex Alera. FFN doesn't even have a category for the series. It's not as if the books are unpopular or something.

Only reason I can think of for now is that the books themselves are so awesome there is simply no need for fanfiction.

Sesc
11-09-2008, 08:31 AM
o.O No shit, Taure? I have to say, I liked it better without explanations #2 and #4. I do believe I will continue to ignore them and hope that he doesn't incorporate them into the actual books, especially the last ... I mean really,Pokémon?
Do not want.

The Wizard
11-09-2008, 08:40 AM
They're not fucking Pokemon you faggot. -__- And no I'm not going to even dignify that with a spoiler tag.

The whole "Alerans and Marat are from different planets" thing seems a bit... hokey to me. Although Butcher has'nt led us wrong so far so we'll have to wait and see. :/

Taure
11-09-2008, 09:17 AM
It creates massive fanfic potential though. You could take any character from anything and dump them into the Alera world and you wouldn't even have to call it a crossover lol.

Novamute
11-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I read an interview with Butcher in which he stated that the basic idea for Codex Alera came from a challenge he threw down at the writing web group he talks with. He told them to give him the worst story idea possible and he would write a book using it. Someone then came to him with the idea to cross the "Lost Roman Legion" idea with Pokemon, thus giving birth to Codex Alera. How's that for creative bad-assery?

Demons In The Night
11-09-2008, 09:57 AM
I read an interview with Butcher in which he stated that the basic idea for Codex Alera came from a challenge he threw down at the writing web group he talks with. He told them to give him the worst story idea possible and he would write a book using it. Someone then came to him with the idea to cross the "Lost Roman Legion" idea with Pokemon, thus giving birth to Codex Alera. How's that for creative bad-assery?

Actually, it seems to me that Codex Alera was inspired by Asheron's Call (the MMO), for they share many similarities.

If the thing about different worlds is true, that fits in exactly like the origin story of AC. The Vord have a startling resemblance to the Olthoi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asherons_Call

In PY0, a young Yalaini mage named Asheron Realaidain (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Asheron_Realaidain&action=edit&redlink=1) was experimenting with portal magic when he accidentally opened portals to an alien world. This planet was the homeworld of many monstrous insectlike species. One of the smaller species, the Olthoi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olthoi), proceeded to invade Auberean via the portals, and legions of black, man-sized death machines spewed across the surface of the planet, skewering all other inhabitants on their massive pincers, their magic-resistant hides rendering them largely immune to the Empyreans' defenses. Their invasion went almost unchecked and the Olthoi all but annihilated the Empyrean civilization.

In a desperate attempt to save the survivors of his people, Asheron called forth all of his power and summoned many portals, none of their destinations known to him, hoping that one would lead his people to safety. He ushered the last of his race through one of the portals, remaining behind himself to attempt to repair the damage he had caused.

These portals opened to many different worlds, bringing various creatures into Auberean. Most of these creatures were as wild animals, some violent and destructive. One of the portals Asheron opened led to the planet Ispar (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ispar&action=edit&redlink=1), the homeworld of the human-like Isparians. The Isparians were sensitive to portal magic and were lured into the portals that appeared there. Upon arrival on Ireth Lassel, they were instantly enslaved by the Olthoi, who were constructing a hive civilization under the planet. As more and more Isparians arrived, some managed to escape slavery and live as nomads, hiding in the wilderness and defending themselves from the Olthoi with weapons of their own fashioning.

Aekiel
11-09-2008, 10:12 AM
On the other hand, you could say that every insect like creature in modern literature is similar. There are only so many ways you can go with evil space insects.

Demons In The Night
11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
On the other hand, you could say that every insect like creature in modern literature is similar. There are only so many ways you can go with evil space insects.True that. I do like what Novamute said though, that the premise of Codex Alera was formed from a challenge....of combining a lost Roman legion with Pokemon. That's just awesome.

Sesc
11-10-2008, 01:07 AM
Oh for fuck's sake. I just read everything of Princeps' Fury that was on Butcher's side. So I'm really into the story and feeling all like 'fuck yeah, here comes the main plot' and then wham! --

He paused, to let the echoes of his voice roll through the darkening evening. "Alerans," he murmured. "We are at war."

Princeps' Fury will be available in bookstores ...

TEH RAGE!!!

I swear, they put that sentence there intentionally :mad: *sulks* We are at war, what? That's so not fair. I want it, now.

fuubar
11-10-2008, 02:02 AM
I swear, they put that sentence there intentionally :mad: *sulks* We are at war, what? That's so not fair. I want it, now.

Nah, they would never put a cliffy in a teaser chapter .... ;)

But yeah, the 26th can't come fast enough.

Nocdia
11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey I just read all 4 books last week, great books I think. Went to the library to get some Dresden Files and sitting there was all 4 Codex Alera. A great series which I hope is continued. I can't believe how much the main character has change from book to book. His development was well done and expansive, going in a different direction then what you might think. Also the spoilers (plot twists) in book 4 were interesting, caught me somewhat by surprise. Anyways a great series I would recommend to all.

Minor Spoiler from First book

I was scared at the start, props to Butcher for not making a Tavi/Amara pairing. It looked to be going in that direction for a while.

Samuel Black
11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Damn, I have looked all over this fucking city for Captain's Fury, and not a single place has it. None of the bookstores, Hastings, or the Library. Gonna have to get it off the internet, I guess.

DvorakQ
11-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Book 5 actually got released early by accident in some stories. If you head on over to the Jim butcher forums, you'll see the mad scramble for those early copies.

Sree
11-13-2008, 09:56 PM
So I just read all the books in 2 days. They're still fucking amazing.

And you know what? Book 1 was amazing all throughout. I don't know why I never liked the first half of the book, it was interesting enough for me. Man, Butcher is just a God when it comes to writing.

Ranku
11-23-2008, 10:11 AM
I honestly had the same impression when I reread Furies of Calderon the second time after I'd read the other books. For some reason, I simply found it more interesting the second time through--maybe because I wasn't overthinking it as much as I had the first time, and just enjoying it.

Anyway, I just had this thread pointed out to me not too long ago, and I was wondering what other reader's impressions on Furycrafting was, and how much of it was innate to the Furycrafter, and how much needed the manifestation of discrete Fury to accomplish.

From what I understand, all Alerans have at least some small ability in crafting each element, but other than that, it differentiates quite a bit, and I was actually thinking that the ability to manifest a Fury isn't as common as it seems to be in Calderon Valley (though it is said that those on the wild frontiers of Alera have stronger furies, anyway, so that likely explains it). For example, Ehren, from what I can remember, hasn't shown himself doing anything that would involve manifesting an actual Fury, and from what I recall, he has very little overall skill in furycrafting (though I can't remember exactly how many beads he had, I don't remember them being a significant number at all).

For some reason, for the longest time, I was under the impression that to do anything outside of your body, it required manifestation of a Fury (I suppose I was misled by the "internalized crafting" wording). But, this doesn't seem to be true: for example, aligning matrixes in blades and sensing metals around you is considering internalized crafting, yet it is an ability that obviously extends outside the body. So, that sort of led me to the idea that furycrafting doesn't need an actual Fury to do things outside your body.

However, I do think internalized crafting is limited to what the crafter is touching, and anything involving otherwise requires the use of external furycraft. For an example, to make one of the large bows Knights Flora use supple, or to easily detach a plank of wood from where it has been nailed by hand, would be internal crafting, while making a tree grasp your enemy meters away from you would be external.

Though, it does make me question something else: how does internal Fire crafting work? Is there even an actual significant thing other than being able to tell a furylamb to go off and on, or is there more that you can do with internal Fire crafting than that? It's the only element that we haven't seen a use for as far as internal crafting goes.

Earth gives the ability to draw strength from its element (as long as you're in contact with it, anyway), Wind can lend you its speed (again, as long as your skin is coming in contact with air). Water allows you to sense the emotions of others, and metal allows someone to sense when things made of it are near by, while also letting the crafter make metal they are in contact with sigificantly more durable. Lastly, wood allows for the crafter to bend anything of that element to their will, but only if they are touching it themselves.

So, where does that leave fire? I can, honestly, not thing of any huge benefit it would lend to a furycrafter as far as internal crafting goes, other than, as I said, command furylambs to do their righteous bidding (namely, turning them off and on).

.. and crap, this post got a bit longer than I'd intended it to. I suppose I'll end it with what any other Codex Alera fan must be thinking lately: two more days!

Moeed
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Fury crafting fire can create terrible fear in the hearts of your enemies, btw it is shown very early in the first book.

Taure
11-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Internal Firecrafting, if I recall correctly, is kinda the opposite to water: it allows you to affect the emotions of others. This is why all the people in the senate and public speakers are Firecrafters.

Also, with wood you can affect wood that you're not in contact with: we've seen arrows shot at people and break in mid air due to the actions of a woodcrafter.

Ranku
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Hmm, for some reason, I was under the impression that Fearcrafting was an application of manifestation, though I suppose it's quite possible that it's not. Maybe it'd make sense that internal Firecrafting would be the direct opposite of internal Watercrafting.

As for internal woodcrafting, I guess you're right, Taure, though I don't really recall where exactly that was done. I suppose it's possible that if you're fairly strong in that crafting type, that type of thing is possible, which could explain why only people with Knight Flora strength and skill could do so.

Of course, that sort of opens up quite a few possibilities. It would explain why strong Firecrafters can manipulate the "hot" emotions (fear and anger), and why those with a gift in woodcraft can manipulate wood outside of what they're directly in contact with.

So, it seems that the stronger you are with that element, the farther your abilities with it extend--which, I guess, should of been kind of obvious.

I wonder if the reason Septimus was considered the greatest swordsman of his generation was because he could simultaneously focus his Metalcraft and Watercraft to the point that he could easily predict an opponent's next actions before they even begin them like we saw there at the end of Captain's Fury, or if that was something completely unique we saw there.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing if it happens again in Princeps' Fury, or if he even has it completely under control now.

Lucullus
11-24-2008, 05:55 AM
The way I see it, Firecrafting just amplifies select emotions in people who look/stare at the fire crafted by firecrafter instead of being able to wholly manipulate them. I'm not too sure if one could use a Firecrafting to lessen the fear and panic others feel.

Then you have Earthcrafting which can inspire lust in someone.

Is Princep's Fury coming out tomorrow?

Ranku
11-24-2008, 06:11 AM
Hmm, you know, I'm trying to remember, currently, if any Fearcrafting was done without the actual presence of fire.. and I really can't think of any. So would that truly make it an application of manifestation? After all, you can't create fire without Firecrafting.. well, you can use what's already there, but yeah. Good question, though.

And yep, Princeps' Fury comes out tomorrow: November 25th. I am waiting pretty anxiously for it; I plan to head off to the bookstore tomorrow and be there when it opens, that way I can read it as soon as possible.

Taure
11-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Fire isn't just about fear. I think it's more about the "passionate" emotions. Think back to the meeting of the Dianic (sp?) League that Isana attended. One of the speakers was using Firecrafting through his voice to stir up the emotions of the crowd, and no mention of any actual fire was there.

Lucullus
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm not saying it's just about negative emotions. I'm saying it only amplifies these so-called passionate emotions, instead of being able to totally manipulate them.

Ranku
11-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Ah, I was actually under the impression that it manipulated the "hot" emotions, as I said earlier. Anger, fear, and the like--however, you do have a point, no actual fire was mentioned, and it'd be fairly obvious to any who knew of that use of Firecraft what he was doing (and considering that these are supposed to be the upper class Citizens and Senators and whatnot, I'm guessing they do).

So, obviously, fire isn't needed for the emotion-crafting (though perhaps having a fire to work off of helps).

Ryuugi Shi
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Jim said on his forums that firecrafting can be used to inspire just about any emotion as long as the flame they're crafting through can be seen. Earthcrafting is for baser, more instinctual things, like calming someone, inspiring lust, etc.

Aekiel
11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't agree with that. Fear is about the most basic emotion you can feel yet it is manipulated by fire, not earth. On the other hand, lust is definitely a passionate emotion and it is manipulated by earth, so the other theory doesn't work.

What I reckon is that each element is associated with one emotional spectrum from one extreme to the other such as:

Fire: Fear - Anger
Earth: Lust - Serenity
Metal: Cowardliness - Courage
Water: Hate - Love
Wood: Isolationism - Socialisation (couldn't think of the right words here >_>)
Air: Slavery - Freedom of the mind

There are of course some secondary emotions that would be covered by some, and a couple do linger on the border of one emotion and another, but I think it makes sense. Kinda.

ZeroTheDestroyer
12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Me too, but I just went to my library and the first book is checked out :(

I am downloading it from rapidshare right now!

Azrael's Little Helper
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
My local libraries don't have anything past Academ's Fury and in one case Cursor's Fury and the bookshops are out. irc ebook channels = win.

JoJo23
12-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Alera is shaping up to quite an interesting series, im on the third one on the moment. I am, however, noting a disturbing trend. Does Helms Deep occur in every book?

Tehan
12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Let's not openly request pirated materials on DLP, hmm?

Abba99
12-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I just read the first book. It was interesting and ridiculously boring at the same time, for example I think I counted fifty times when colour rose to someone's cheeks when they were embarrased. Talk about rebundancy. Try using new ways of showing lust or embarrasment Jim!

The Keeper of Silence scene was the best one in my opinion, totally alien and terrifying, almost from something out of a psychedelic trip. Then the giant battle which was about 3/4 of the book, boring as hell, but some parts were interesting enough to keep me reading.

I doubt there are any spoilers in my above post, but if so, lemme know.

Now I'm going to read the second one, I hope it's better than the first one.

First book, I'll have to rate it 6.5/10. I've read way way better books. Jim has a good plot and story but his writing is so redundant and ugly it bores me.

Ragon
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
We have mentioned multiple times the first book isnt great. It gets better by the time you get to Cursor's Fury it is as good if not better than most of the Dresden books. Captains Fury is Butcher's best book that I have read which would be all the dresden novels and the Alera novels.

Darth_Revan
03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Captain's Fury was rather good, but I was quite partial to Princep's Fury. Unfortunately for all of us, the next book (First Lord's Fury), to be published in, I think, November, will be the conclusion to the series.

Ryuugi Shi
03-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Captain's Fury was rather good, but I was quite partial to Princep's Fury. Unfortunately for all of us, the next book (First Lord's Fury), to be published in, I think, November, will be the conclusion to the series.

I disliked Princep's Fury, as there was no real character development, specifically none for Tavi (he's about the same as he was last book). The plot development wasn't very good either. We all knew the Vord would kick most of Alera's ass. He could have just mentioned it a few times, and it would have made no real difference.

The fights were okay, though.

Sree
03-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Captain's Fury was by far the best Alera book, in my opinion.

Ragon
03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Captain's Fury was the best Butcher novel period if you ask me.

ZeroTheDestroyer
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I am guessing if anyone is going to post any WBA for Codex Alera it is going to be in the other fandoms section?

Ragon
07-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Been reading Alera yet again.

Anyone else get the impression that Max could really wipe the floor with just about anyone short of his father and Attis?

Taure
07-02-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm not sure. We haven't seen him do anything that was really impressive. Nothing that would give him the title of Lord, in my opinion.

CheddarTrek
07-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Yes and no, to the question about Max. I have the impression that he's a lot stronger than most people realize, and that when he's older and his powers have fully matured that he will be one of the major players and probably surpass his father. Just he's not there yet. Or that's been my impression.

I keep meaning to post here and say, hey, if you folks haven't read these books you should. They're good. I personally don't enjoy them as much as I do the Dresden Files, but that doesn't mean they aren't well worth a read.

Or you could wait til... I think it's November, when the 6th and final installment in the series is due to arrive, and just have a read through all of them at that point.

CheddarTrek
10-10-2009, 02:15 AM
So I've decided to re-read the series in preparation for the 6th book coming out in November. I wouldn't be surprised to find that others are doing the same thing. I've only read them through once and details are understandably fuzzy.

One thing I notice in my re-read of the first book is that I like it a lot better the second time around. The first time I found it a bit mediocre. I had no real idea of who Aquitaine was and what he represented, I didn't realize how talented Isana or Bernard was, I didn't know that Fade actually kicked ass (and was the Araris that Aldrick kept alluding to), and I didn't know that Fidelias would turn out to be a fascinating character. So I tended to gloss over those parts in my first read and therefore felt that the story was bogged down with bit characters and relatively boring. Now I find myself more interested in all those details. I'm still not as into the first book as I was the later ones where Tavi actually led men into battle though.

Aquitaine comes off as an unmitigated bad guy in this book though. By the fifth book that has almost completely turned around yet he never really changes. I find this somewhat confusing.

Things that bother me or that I'd like to discuss (Book 1):

Isana is worried about people coming to take/look for Tavi when strangers start showing up. This is understandable because she knows who Tavi is. However Bernard is also concerned about someone coming for Tavi specifically, which makes no sense. As far as Bernard knows in the first book Tavi is just his furyless nephew, so why is he worried? Is this a plothole or have I missed something? I tend to think that this was before Bernard knew of any plots to have the Marat overrun the valley, but even if it wasn't he should be worried about them killing Tavi not taking him.

For that matter when did Bernard learn of Tavi's status as Princep's? I remember really looking forward to seeing his reaction but I don't remember ever seeing it. It was like in one book he had not been told yet and in the next book he already knew. Maybe I'll pick that up on the re-read.

I never noticed quite how often Aldrick is going on about everyone he fights not being Araris until I read this again. Though I have to admit it made it a hell of a lot funnier when he had the OMGWTFARARIS moment.

It strikes me that the first book isn't really about Tavi so much as he just happened to have a role in something larger than himself. He was probably only in half of the passages. Good thing I didn't find the non-Tavi parts to be so boring this time.

tl;dr -- I'm re-reading the series and commenting on it here in preparation for the 6th and last book. This was book 1. It's more interesting on the second read than the first, by far.

Taure
10-10-2009, 03:40 AM
Aquitaine comes off as an unmitigated bad guy in this book though. By the fifth book that has almost completely turned around yet he never really changes. I find this somewhat confusing.

It's not Aquitaine that changes, IMO. Rather, Tavi grows up, and we grow up with him.

uriel
10-10-2009, 10:35 AM
It's not Aquitaine that changes, IMO. Rather, Tavi grows up, and we grow up with him.

Probably helped that his motivations were revealed. Previously we were just shown his actions, and not the reasons behind them, showing us the reason made him go from asshole bad guy to.. uh.. good guy.

Ragon
10-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Newest chapter is okay I guess. Boring conversation about Kitai.

Shit wrong thread, if one of the mods would be kind enough to move this over to the First Lord's Fury thread, it would be appreciated.

uriel
10-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Newest chapter is okay I guess. Boring conversation about Kitai.

Shit wrong thread, if one of the mods would be kind enough to move this over to the First Lord's Fury thread, it would be appreciated.

Pretty weak 1st chapter I thought. The prologue was much better. Nothing happened in chapter 1 besides..

Tavi to Max: My god your right! Kitai is awesome! I shall court her.

yay. Next tuesday can't come soon enough.