1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete For Love of Magic by Noodlehammer - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Dec 25, 2015.

1. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Wanna try it out? ;)

Cognitive dissonance. Nuff said.

2. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Shit, you mean all this time I've been doing it backwards? :facepalm

3. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Well, the Greater Good bomb was dropped, and Harry basically humiliated Dumbledore in every turn and possible way on a single conversation, all the while being the righteous rebel dumping the real truths on the man who symbolizes an ineffective, decrepit system that didn't kill everyone who wouldn't follow its laws.

Alright, as far as I'm concerned most of the good will bought by the initial chapters was utterly spent. Even his Naruto fics didn't get this self-righteous and masturbatory, although time might have taken the worst of it out of my mind. Gonna lower my rate to 2/5.

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I just read the update. Dumbledore was actually almost written well. Harry was being a self righteous immature cunt. The author thought he was being badass. 2/5 sounds about right.

5. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Are you sure about that?

This chapter was a shining example of why I loathe this story now. Noodlehammer has butchered any interest I previously had in this fanfic with his characterization of Harry. Harry is an arrogant author mouthpiece more akin to a cunt than an actual character.

That and the fact that Noodlehammer's apparent dislike for Dumbledore has crossed into bashing territory. Dumbledore's been portrayed as an inept, foolish leader. Worse still, he's being shown up and outsmarted at every turn by a 15-year-old cunt.

So, yeah. Definitely dropping this now. Plus, this chapter really makes me wish there was a 0 rating.

6. Donimo

Donimo Auror

What I meant was that the Dumbledore bashing came across as Harry being an idiot child instead of Dumbledore actually being incompetent.

7. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

So what makes that any worse than most other chapters before? If it takes you until this chapter to get triggered by something you must have missed 90% of the chapters.

8. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    the only positive thing in the chapter iirc is the lack of poor smut.
    Although Luna keeps being Harry pines cheerleader, another method to show how great is Harry and the author in return.

9. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Notice the difference in the emboldened sections? No-one could have interpreted it the way you said you meant.

Anyways, taking your meaning into consideration, Dumbledore's characterization in the latest chapter is just due to horrible storytelling. It's not just from Harry's perspective that Dumbledore seems inept. The general sentiment is that he's an old fool. See Tonks and Fleur's reactions to him.

But it is your opinion and you're entitled to it, so feel free to disregard anything I say.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm still reading this when it updates, but the author has lost the majority of my good will developed early on in the story.

There is still some nice world building going on, but it isn't enough to counteract the boring smut scenes. On the bright side, with the Dryad plot line, some of the pointless smut had an actual point.

I think it might be worth creating a streamlined version of this story by excising about 80% of the smut.

11. syed

syed Supermod

The latest addition really reinvigorated my interest. Harry took an idea from a book, and made it into an epic tool. One that could be made into a game changer. If spread accross the magical territories, it would be an unprecedented power. Especially if he can learn to protect other spells through it. How many magics are really that reliable at such ranges.

I had an idea but not sure if it is viable. Imhotep made himself into a lich. So he could be considered closer to the veil than most, even if his undead form is destroyed. The resurrection stone is said to only return those you care about, could he trick it enough to summon this ancient potter? I always thought the stone could aid in making those aware portraits. Imagine a portrait containing the memories of the high priest. He would know most of the magics used in keeping vampires and succubi out of Egypt. He might have an understanding with the vampires, but such lore is always useful. I totally see them purposely purging the life of the priest hood

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Not sure what anyone ever saw in this fic tbh. Doesn't really do enough interesting things to really set itself apart from the bulk of its ilk.

13. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

There was some MRA shit in the latest update that I didn't like, but I'm still following this.

14. oakgem217

oakgem217 First Year

Mysogony, thy name is Noodlehammer

15. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Yup, misogyny disguised as scientific facts - down to even their fucking souls (!?). At this point, the guy is just talking out of his ass with no fucks given.

I keep following it because every now and then he has an interesting idea but I'm mostly skimming through every chapter. The part with Blaise's mom was just so absurd that it caught my attention while I was at it.

I didn't read the reviews, but I bet people are eating it up.

16. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    Does anyone else feel that if you pass 600k words and you STILL have yet to reach your stories climax/resolution you would probably be better off re-structuring your story to have better arcs to keep narrative flow?

I mean this is one of the longest stories out there and there still isn't really any indication of the end in sight. I can't even really pick certain points in the story that would serve as conclusions to smaller books. There is no real pay-off for any character/narrative arc. They all just kind of meld together and keep plodding along to me.

17. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I think this story is more of something you read mindlessly, since none of the plot points actually lead anywhere. I don't think restructuring it would really work out, as giving this story an actual narrative would probably make it just an even more incredibly terrible story than it actually is. The story now actually has entertainment value that would most likely be lost if it wasn't such a jumbled mess. Besides, I think most of the story's followers probably don't even remember three-quarters of the plot anyway.

18. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is there a single fic where bringing magical conflict to the muggle world made it better? Or one where the Statute of Secrecy was broken? I don't think I've read one...

19. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was reading through the earlier reviews to see what people thought about it at the beginning and it turns out that Jon summed up the entire fic before the fifth chapter hit

I haven't read any of his other stuff so if anyone else has could they please tell me how this stacks up against them.

Also regarding the most recent update, I would've liked the whole Weasley kidnap thing except the author kept having Harry ranting about how stupid the whole thing was for about 1000 words which completely ruined it.

20. iamnotreal

iamnotreal Second Year

High Score:
    ^^
    His other works are far better imo. They are more tightly crafted as well as focused on driving the narrative towards the end and the smut is far more sporadic and therefore helps the story from being sidetracked by frankly ridiculous rants/scenes. If you enjoy this you'll likely enjoy the others as well. Harry is kinda of Naruto!Lite I think.

FYI Naruto is an actual God in the other books so conflict is non-existent if that's a deal breaker