1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy (out now!)

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Andrela, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

The Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy premiered today on PS4 and I've already played for several hours.

They are remakes/remastered of the original 3 games (Crash Bandicoot, Cortex Strikes Back, Warped).

For the love of god and everything that is holy, I have been waiting for this for years and years and years. These games are so good I can't believe it.

Not only were the graphics completely remastered, but there are additional options. For example, Coco is now a fully playable character and you can play all three games with her or Crash if you choose (you can swap at any time).

[yt]wLGPhakRC9g[/yt]

[yt]3V3YDml3Cbo[/yt]

Also, check these ratings, haha:

VentureBeat - 9/10
    God is a Geek - 8/10
    Game Informer - 8/10
    Destructoid - 8.5/10
    Attack of the Fanboy - 9/10
    IGN - 8.5/10
    Critical Hit Gaming - 8.5/10
    Spaziogames - 8.5/10
    Everyeye.it - 8.7/10
    IGN.it - 8/10
    Vandal - 8.3/10
    Hardcore Gamer - 8/10
    Multiplayer.it - 9/10
    COGconnected - 7.9/10
    Gamespot - 6/10
    Gameblog - 7/10
    Eurogamer.it - 9/10
    GameReactor - 6/10
    Metro - 7/10
    ACG - Buy
    Gaming Age - A
    The Games Machine - 8/10
    IGN Spain - 9/10
    Games Radar+ - 7/10
    Meristation - 8.8/10
    Gaming Trend - 9/10
    La PS4 - 9/10

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've also spent most of my evening playing it. Not sure if it's tougher than I remember, or if I've just got worse since I was a kid...

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Warped is the best of them. One of my favorite platformers from that era.

4. Andrela

Crash 1 was always harder than 2 and 3.

I guess my advice is: git gud :p

5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone seen the cancerous Gamespot review for the game? The reviewer is literally complaining the game is too difficult and that it's too 1990s.

6. Andrela

I guess he's mentally challenged.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Crash 1 and 2 were great but in Warped the series found its best game by a mile. Everything was so diverse and fresh with amazing levels that saw me playing the game for years. Who doesn't remember the Great Wall levels?

Super excited for this and GameSpot and GameReactor can suck all the dicks. Why complain about a game feeling old when it's a fuckin remaster of a classic? The fact that it feels old means it's done a great job of keeping its original charm.

Fucking pansy ass energy powder fuelled ADD game reviewers pissed because there's no quickscope.

8. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This is true. I know I didn't finish it without cheats when I was a kid, whereas two and three I at least finished the story, if not 100% completion.

It's so much fun though. I stopped playing when I realised that I'd been playing for almost eight hours straight. And even on the High Road level, when I died like twenty times in a row due to not quite being able to make out where to start jumps, I just had to keep going.

9. Andrela

I also read that there's gonna be DLC, including some levels that were cut in original games.

10. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Finally completed all the time trials (Gold, not the impossible Platinums) last night. Some of them for Crash 1 were murder, I think I spent over an hour on High Road, Sunset Vista and Fumbling in the Dark. So much fun though, they're the best part of the games for me.

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fair play, some of those are ridiculous to get right. Anything with a Jet ski can burn in hell for ruining my reaction times and making me a twitchy kid.

12. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Honestly, this game pisses me off. It does this not because I'm bad or because it is particularly challenging, but because it somehow manages to be worse than the original trilogy in almost every way that matters.

If you're considering getting the games and don't mind play PlayStation One graphics, emulate it. You wont have to deal with overlong load times or loose and awkward controls or worse still bastardize crash 3 physics in 1 and 2.

The only saving grace is playing as Coco and that in my mind is not worth $40.

13. Andrela

"This game is hard!"

Wow.

I'm pretty sure it's not the "loose and awkward controls", I suspect it's you. All I can say is: git gud.

14. Tsar

Tsar Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Sigh.

Boy, you got me good with that one! I'll do just as you say. Because playing an obviously flawed remake has nothing to do with my grievances.

The loose and awkward controls that you were ever so fast to dismiss with that banal response are an actual issue with the game. These "loose and awkward controls" stem from a few issues that I'll elaborate on just for you.

Firstly, the player characters collision models are off or rather different. They are pill formed rather than box shaped and this means that rather than falling off things, you slide down them a bit first, even if it's a flat plane. The instant stopping that you should have to properly control your movement isn't there. So that platforming is needlessly more tedious than it should be. Combine this with the slightly too small enemy hit boxes and you've got many deaths even if you spaced your jump or attack correctly. In the old version of the games, you either got the jump right or wrong. There was no you kinda made it or you kinda didn't.

Secondly, the levels in the first two games are not designed for you crash warped physics. This changes jump arcs and makes intuitive and precise jumps into something that feels off. The game doesn't feel as though it's actively fighting against you. it's more akin to the feeling that the jumping mechanics don't fit properly. This is particularly egregious in crash one where there is a precise series of turtle jumps using short hops. Hell, there is even a jump in crash two that is now impossible.

Thirdly, the turning rate is different on vehicle levels. It's just far looser. This in part comes from the fact that the analog ranges on a ps1 and ps4 controller are different. Using the d-pad helps deal with this but I consider the ps4 d-pad to be kinda trash. While none of the jet ski levels or bike levels become substantially more difficult they just end up being less fun.

But you're right none of these things matter and I should just get gud.

I like to think that I recommend the ps1 versions because they will give players a mechanically better experience.

15. Andrela

Hold on a moment, I'd like to hear this example before anything.

I'm playing crash 2 right now and I'm on the last few levels.

16. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Like many of you in this thread i suspect, I grew up with Crash.

Crash 1 isn't hard, it's bullshit. There's a huge difference.

Don't get mad if some people don't enjoy that shithousery.

Oh and CTR is the best Crash game, fools. I'll buy this if they release that as DLC.

17. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I think we can all agree that the first generation of 3D platformers had some really god-awful design baked into it, pretty universally, and that the quality of design for games as a whole, and platformers in particular, has increased significantly since the late 90s.

18. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Mechanically I'd say Crash 3 is damn near perfect as far as 3D platformers go, everything feels extremely smooth and precise, it's just held back by being too easy (and whichever flavour of gimmick level you particularly dislike).