1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Best Dumbledores

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sey, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am looking for any story really with a well characterized Dumbledore. This can range from his actions, interaction with characters, or even to his speaking style. Thanks.

2. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Don't you have any examples that illustrate exactly what you're looking for? It'd certainly make recommendations easier. Nonetheless, here's my list.

Itachi, Is That A Baby?
    This one isn't a well characterized Dumbledore in the conventional sense. He's well characterized in that he's fucking hilarious. I can't specify too much without causing spoilers, but you'll like this if you like a funny Albus Dumbledore. Be warned though, he isn't a major character.

Dagger and Rose
    This story has one of the most interesting takes on Dumbledore that I've ever seen. It has an incredibly unique take on magic, along with very well-fleshed out characters. Dumbledore is very much the badass, well-rounded, bespectacled wizard he was in canon. Bonus, it's written by Perspicacity, resident DLP member.

By the Divining Light
    Written by enembee. If you've read any of his stuff, you'll know what to expect. If you haven't, this has an incredible take on magic and a very intriguing Dumbledore.

Harry Potter and the Lords of Magic
    This is an incredible AU. I would highly recommend you read it if you want to see a legitimately badass Dumbledore. Written by Taure.

The One He Feared
    This is an exploration of Dumbledore's character via memories given to Harry by Fawkes. That's not all there is to it, believe me. Also by Taure.

Magicks of the Arcane
    Try this one too. Done by Eilyfe, it has a pretty interesting take on Dumbledore.

There's another one by Pers that I can't recall right now. It's just a one-shot, but it has the most badass Dumbledore you'll likely ever see in fanfiction. Will update later.

EDIT: Found it. Great stuff by Pers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

Some other good ones are:

1. Denarian Series: Is a crossover but you don't have to read Dresden Files to understand it has a badass more or less canon Dumbledore

2. On the Way to Greatness: Is probably the most in character Dumbledore in Fanfic with wisdom and dialogue which you could put in canon without a problem which is rare.

3. Alexandra Potter: Taure writes a really great Dumbledore with a in character Dumbledore who sometimes shows a different side than in canon to Alexandra because he respects her skill and intelligence more than canon Harry

4. Hallowed: Badass and competent Dumbledore who steals the show in the story

5. What you Leave Behind: Again one of the few Dumbledore which feels like the canon one with good dialogue.

6. Journey through the Dark: Long time since I read it but iirc had unique and fun Dumbledore who was very manipulative but actually tried to teach Harry to be manipulative and less naive.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This. If you are going to make a "help me find stories like this" thread, instead of a thread looking for a very specific story, offer your own thoughts. Ones you liked or didn't like. Or at the very least say you've never read one.

Denarian Series has my favorite Dumbledore. Most of the others I think of have been listed.

Alb enjoys Dumbledore stories as well and has a solid one shot on ffnet.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9079271/1/The-Last-Straw-Oneshot

Dumbledore isn't a major character in Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them or the sequel The Handbook of Elf Psychology, but when he does turn up in those stories I think he's well done.

5. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    And I just remembered another incredible story with a superb Dumbledore. Realignment. Go read it. Now.

6. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I'm going to recommend The Amplitude, Frequency and Resistance of the Soul Bond. It is quite possibly one of the funniest versions of Dumbledore I've ever read. And Harry's increasing worship of the man (and Ginny's increasing dislike for him) only makes it funnier.

For more a more serious Dumbledore, I'm going to also mention the Denarian Series. Ignoring all the other ways it's arguably one of the best HP Fics out there, it does a great job showing Dumbledore with all the power and intelligence few Fics bother to give him.

7. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Weasley Girl has really good canon-like Dumbledore.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Man, I wish that guy would keep writing. That and Sixteen Years are both great stories, but updates are glacial if not non-existent at this point.

It's definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but there's Follow the Phoenix and Advance the Phoenix (which seems to have been abandoned, sadly) - Dumbledore finds Harry at a low point, and decides to take him and raise him himself. Bit angsty in parts, but pretty well written.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Best Dumbledore's Albus.

10. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Bugger off, Percival Dumbledore is the best.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  11. Miner

Miner Order Member

As much as I rant about the story, A Long Journey Home still contains the "best Dumbledore" characterization I've ever seen.

Now, to be clear, it's probably not the most canonical Dumbledore I've read, nor does Dumbledore play a large part in the story at all.

But if we were to just take the eccentricities and quirks that make Albus so uniquely Albus, and combine it with the setting and background within A Long Journey Home...

Well, that's why it's the best, IMO. The author really nails down Dumbledore's personality, far better than anything I've seen.

12. James

James Unspeakable

Percival you failure.

13. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    I'm honestly surprised it took this long for someone to correct him.

14. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

I blame my phone here.

15. FridgeViking

FridgeViking Squib

High Score:
  16. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

I like his portrayal in Burgundy Blues, he has that whimsical nature that we see in canon, but is prepared to make hard decisions.

17. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

This, and What You Leave Behind are my two favorite characterizations of the man. A healthy tablespoon of badass, a teaspoon each of whimsy and wisdom, half a teaspoon of regret, and a dash of resignation.