1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Klackerz, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Assassin4life

Assassin4life Squib

High Score:
    Saw it opening night, but just noticed this thread. Overall I felt it ranks up with Winter Soldier as one of the best Marvel films. I generally dislike the whole Marvel formula especially with their ruining the dramatic moments with comedy to ease the tension but I think it suited the films tone. There was also not that much of it. I also had a lot more emotional suspense with this Marvel film than any other.
    Especially when Peter was trapped under the rubble in the climax and he was screaming for help. I was actually worried he wasn't going to make it out of the rubble and die - Tom Holland acted exceptionally well during that moment.
    Easily number one on my list of best spidey films.

2. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    I think it was a great movie. Some people are saying that its too comic and not serious enough but the movie is about peter parker as a complete amateur hero learning how to be a real hero. He is going to fuck up and its going to be funny. Its a great balance of comedy, action, emotion and seriousness. It is a must watch for comic book fans

3. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. It is, unfortunately, a little too non-serious and strains suspension of disbelief a little too much. The parts in which the Spiderman is trapped in a huge load of rubble and attaches to the outside of the plane when it's flying are a little too improbable for him. I mean, this is not the Ironman we're talking about, or the Hulk. I think the cast acted beautifully, I merely take exception with the script/storyline. Stan Lee set the stage beautifully with the "with great power, comes great responsibility" schtick, and I feel any Spiderman movie needs to remember that it remains incomplete without showing some seriousness. I'd give it a 2.5/5 rounded up to a 3/5 because Marisa Tomei.

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Saw this last night.

Fantastic movie, easily one of the best in the MCU.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Spidey gets trapped under a huge load of rubble quite regularly since the iconic scene from Amazing Spider-Man #33.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I stand corrected about the rubble, then.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Why is attaching to a plane, flying or otherwise, improbable? He's Spider-Man, it's kinda his thing.

8. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I don't mind him attaching to a plane. It's the height. They went above the cloud cover. If he were Superman or Iron Man or something, no worries, it truly is their thing. But I don't see Spiderman without Tony Stark's suit to be up to managing those conditions.

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I always assume that laws of physics and reality in general in movies don't work quite exactly like in the real world.

10. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Oh, OK. That's kind of a fair point, especially in his home-made suit, but eh. I'm with Andrela on this. There's also precedent in Ant-Man, when you get the flashback to Hank and Janet disarming the missile in flight. At least Spidey has powers beyond his suit.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's very obvious the maturity levels of the new Spiderman movies will go up with Peter's age.

That's not to day he still won't be an awkward doofus, because he will be.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It makes no sense beyond messing with people's heads, but whatever. As long as we get a proper Mary Jane later it's cool.

Honestly, they should have had a Gwen Stacy character in home coming. Maybe the sequel.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Caught this tonight.

Immediate, overall impression is that in a sea of cut-out, copy pasted Marvel films, Spiderman manages to stand out as unique and character-focused rather than the obsessive need to tie everything together.

Now I will counter what I just said by saying that I was really annoyed at the end that they set up the Iron Spider suit, the interview thing, only to have it not play out. I'll admit that I felt cheated and even though it's my only solid complaint of the film, it was right at the end so the impression stayed.

Still, easily up with there as one of the best Marvel films. Holland does a great job, and Iron Man's presence hit the right balance between adding to the movie and not taking it over.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    I bet you won't see Mary Jane Watson in this universe, and I bet Michelle won't be a love interest.

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I...feel sick to my stomach at the thought of no Mary Jane or Gwen Stacy.

Either character works as Spider-Man's true love.

Who else will be the main love interest? Black Cat maybe?

16. Gengar

High Score:
    I think if you're feeling sick to your stomach there may be other questions in need of more urgent answers... Lol

Ultimately though, who cares? There isn't enough time in the movies to properly flesh out a romance (rolling out Gweneth Paltrow for a few minutes is proof of that, and where the hell did Natalie Portman go?) so bothering about it seems pointless.

17. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    Did you guys miss those longing looks Michelle gave Peter and the big reveal at the end. Peter has a thing for black girl....

Natalie Portman did no longer part of the universe... wanted more money and the plot is moving away for earth for thor

18. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

You're exaggerating. Although since they are doing the whole one movie-one year of high school, I do wonder how loyal they'll be to the comics. Pete met both Gwen and MJ in college, not high school. Liz could come back and I think Betty Brant and Cindy Moon are part of the high school cast though. And that's if you don't take Zendaya into account.

I guess all we can do is wait and see. I am rooting for a Gwen Stacy cast but the MCU might just be a different thing regarding Peter's love life. Only thing I want right now is for him to have a crush on Captain Marvel.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    That would be pretty funny with Marvel - or you could go Black Widow (and be punny instead hurhur).

If Gwen Stacey is introduced as Spider Gwen though? That would be incredible - though it looks like they're already doing the duo thing with Ant-man and the Wasp.

20. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    CONS:

- All the bells and whistles in the suit. I was already pretty against Tony Stark making his suit for him in Civil War, but the only advanced thing he showed in that movie was the eyes. In this he has a fucking onboard AI, holographic displays, a drone, all sorts of shit. He was practically already wearing the Iron Spider suit the whole time, and he hasn't even started with his career really. Part of Spider-Man's appeal is that he makes his own stuff.

- Aunt May was pretty shit. Besides making her so damn young (Sally Fields was much better for a younger Aunt May), there was barely any tension between her and Peter, no showing how she's barely holding together with her husband dead and bills piling up, none of that.

- Flash Thompson is completely, unacceptably, unrecognizable.

- I don't know who the fat Asian kid is even supposed to be. Apparently some fusion of the replacement Ultimate Spider-Man's sidekick (I didn't care about the Ultimate universe at all really after they killed off Peter there, and I'm glad they wound up canning it) and, oddly, Ned Leeds? I didn't think there was anything noteworthy about him except that he's kind of a dumbass.

- Lack of any reference to Uncle Ben. I think there was one almost-reference when he said something about "all Aunt May has been through lately," but nothing beyond that. Even when he's trapped under the rubble he's thinking about Tony Stark, not Ben Parker. There's like no motivation for why Peter does what he does in the movie, except for impressing Stark apparently.

- That line about the Washington Monument being built by slaves was pretty bizarre. It's pretty much just SJW virtue signalling, and it ticks me off.

- "My friends call me MJ." Absolutely not, go die in a hole. She was the worst character in the movie.

- I don't think Peter used a camera at all the entire movie. Kind of important considering it's his career.

- Their half-assed attempt at the Shocker was pretty disappointing.

- In the beginning, these guys get their hands on this powerful alien technology, and they decide to just rob an ATM with it? I had a hard time believing that.

- Did Peter even have his Spider Sense in this movie? I didn't really notice a point where it might have tipped him off to danger. I thought there was at least one point in Civil War where it might've been used, but not here. I'll have to watch again more closely, but it's a pretty important power to miss.

- For that matter, I was disappointed with the portrayal of Peter's powers as he moved around. The Amazing Spider-Man did a much better job at portraying how Spider-Man's supposed to move.

- Finally, the humor didn't do it for me most of the time. There were a few points I kind of chuckled at, but most of it I could've done without.

PROS:

- Michael Keaton was pretty great, and I think Toomes was the best character in the movie. I liked the blue-collar super-criminal angle for the Vulture, and I liked his suit.

- The homemade Spider-Man suit was pretty neat.

- The earlier part of the movie where he goes out as Spider-Man and does some small things around Queens, before the ATM robbery, was good.

- Making the eyes on the mask move really helps with conveying emotion. It's a small thing that adds a lot, I wish the earlier movies had come up with it.

All in all, I think that they should have tried to incorporate the Amazing Spider-Man movies into the MCU rather than give us this. They had their flaws, but I honestly enjoyed watching them more than I did this.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017