1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

If the Doctor had become female earlier (by Matt Smith's term at the latest), it would have negated a good portion of the upcoming backlash.

Now, there's going to be people wondering, "did they do this based on merit? Or did they do it based on 'superduper radfem diverse inclusive progressive sjw cuck' etc."

And as for adapting to female biology, the best possible outcome is that "the Doctor is female now yo, get over it" is the best way to deal with it. Don't make a big fucking deal of it and you have a chance to keep the fans/core audience. Or you know, you could do the total opposite of that and obsess over the fact that SHE will be doing things differently now that SHE is a GIRL and so much better because of it. Because that really sells over good writing and stories, just ask Marvel Comics.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    coughCOLINBAKERcough

Ahem. Excuse me. Frog in the throat.

Colin Baker.

Anyway.... Jodie's not the most exciting choice for a first female Doctor, but I think she'll do well. When she, Colman, or Tennant are not onscreen, Broadchurch can be a snoozefest. So yeah, exciting news... BUT SHE AINT GINGER GODDAMNT.

If they brought Tennant in for the Valyard, and Olivia Colman for the Rani.... I would watch the shit out of that.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't have any problem with the new casting, she's a great actress and no doubt she'll do a great job as long as the writing is there.

Despite this, it does seem like they were eventually going to bow to the pressure of having the Doctor be either female or black because of rampant social outcry. I don't have an issue with a black Doctor. Don't have an issue with a female Doctor. I do however have an issue with just doing shit to fill your PC quota.

To be fair, she's a better choice than Swinton for the role imo but in my heart I really really wanted Rupert Grint to get it.

4. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The 13th Doctor's companions have been officially revealed - all three of them. https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/922214897013985281

No word on whether they'll all be on the TARDIS from day one, whether some of them will be recurring guests rather than regulars, or any other variation you can think of.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I hope it's an ensemble of full time companions rather than just guests or bit parts like Nardole. We've not had that in a while.

7. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I'm not sure it has been announced or not, but the more interesting part was that the show was moving to 10 50min episodes in fall 2018.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Isn’t that the norm? Or like 3 less episodes?

9. Shinysavage

High Score:
    It's fewer episodes, but longer run times for them, which I'm actually OK with to be honest, there's been a lot of almost great episodes which have dropped the ball rushing to tie it all up. Assuming it's definitely confirmed, I've only seen it as a tabloid rumour as yet (to be fair, in the same paper that said Bradley Walsh was going to be a companion).

Edit: never mind, I'd missed the official confirmation.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  10. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The new Doctor's costume.

Some are already dislike it, but in my opinion it's fine. If anything it's probably a lot safer in terms of what could be expected of the Doctor's clothes than they could go with if they wanted to be "revolutionary" in this aspect too.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I actually don't hate it. Kinda kindergarten teacher chic, which fits, as all humans are essentially toddlers to the Doctor and there may be three of them running around the TARDIS.

Rainbow stripe with the yellow suspenders and blue trousers IS a bit of an eyesore, but to be fair, Colin Baker's coat happened once upon a much groovier time.

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    It's nowhere near as bad as The Coat, but it's definitely closer to Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy than we've had for a while. But hey, I thought Matt Smith's outfit was an eyesore until I saw it in actual episode, and then I realised that it was perfect.

13. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I'm sorry but WTF is with the length of those trousers? I've got no problem with the rainbow stripe theme or the suspenders but those high waisted culottes are a god-awful crime against fashion. Hope they look better on screen. Not sure on the coat but can wait to see it a little better.

Then again the Doctor has been a guy for the last few thousand years, perhaps its supposed to look a bit weird, Like he/she is not to sure how he is supposed to fit an outfit around these new...lumpy bits.

14. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Are those pants being worn a lot higher than usual or is there some confusing perspective trick in the picture?

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    The socks do it for me. Not sure why. Maybe because they're TARDIS socks.

16. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not liking the visible collarbones. Can already tell this is gonna be DOCTOR WHORE.

Minor fashion disaster is a key part of the Doctor's look though, so this fits pretty well.

17. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Looks like legit high-waisted pants. Which I like. From a menswear standpoint, I like a higher waistline with the trim, modern fit. Trying to find a sample pic with the right impression. What wouldn't have worked in this case is if they hadn't cropped the hem like they did, mid-calf. Paired with the waistline, it makes an odd kind of sense to me.

I can buy this from the kindergarten teacher standpoint. Unorthodox to be sure, whimsical with modern and conservative flairs at once. Definitely not an outfit for the regular doe on the street.

Edit: Something like this .

Sure, the outfit is an aggressively pared-down, exposed look - collarbones in symmetry with calves, a single tee instead of the edgy buttoned up layers that Capaldi (and the dandyish Matt Smith) favored. But to focus on that is to miss how androgynous and tame the overall theme seems to be. Asexual despite the upfront exposure, in keeping with that gentle kindergarten vibe.

As in my link, it bespeaks a casual confidence. If an unusually wonky one.

Curious to see how this moves on screen.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Lolwut? Unless you grew up in some backward-ass country where women are required to be covered head-to-toe, I don't get how you could construe this costume as even remotely sexual in nature. The rainbows and the suspenders practically scream "I am a quirky asexual with no care for appearances!"

Also, it is highly unlikely that Chibnall will risk backlash from the PC police by making the first female Doctor any more romantically inclined than previous iterations.

19. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I...I wasn't serious. Just mocking all the nutjobs who're incandescent with rage about every aspect of the Doctor's genitals.

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

New clip for the Christmas special dropped, a bit of 1st Doctor meeting 13. Looks like it will be fun to have those two bouncing off each other no matter what the storyline ends up being. I'm sure they will pull out all the stops for Moffet and Capauldi's last episode.