1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Bungie's Destiny

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Klackerz, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

PC port could be awful, I'll be damned if I buy a game locked at 30 frames.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Generally, no. As a rule, these days at least, PC tends to be the single largest individual platform, even if it's less than "all combined console sales".

It's just that, thanks to corporate inertia and slightly more complex development requirements, large publishers generally treat PC as an afterthought. It's why things like Arkham Knight happen. Publishers still haven't caught up with the market shift that happened a couple years back, where a substantial portion of the customerbase at large decided "Consoles are just shitty PCs, so I'll just get a PC instead", and catapulted the PC gaming master race to prominence.

3. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with that, but I find that more of the large spenders are also on PC. I've known tons of people that have spent $500+ on cosmetics in various games to be on PC, whereas if I ever ask a person about spending more than $20 on in-game cosmetic items they would be mortified.

---------- Post automerged at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

I doubt they would lock it at 60 fps, if they do that would be a deal breaker.

4. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Having put a metric fuckload of hours into Destiny, I'm not actually even sure if I'll be picking up D2.

The oversimplification of the class trees, the removal of weapon rolls (Which were a massive part of why people were actually still playing Destiny. Gotta get that god-roll Luna, etc.), the loss of all of our gear, dropping PvP from 6v6 to 4v4 and removing Rumble... these are all massive issues for me.

But I could get over those issues if Destiny 2 was going to contain a bunch of brand new exciting shit that we didn't have in Destiny.

There isn't any new and exciting shit.

OOOOH we get a story now. Thanks Bungie.

Notice that they haven't actually advertised new features at all... the biggest thing they've talked about was the new Clan system. That's it. Everything else is just a modification of a system that was already in place.

Hell, even the graphics are more reminiscent of No Man's Sky than they are of the original Destiny. It's pretty, sure. But it's far more cartoony and less realistic than the original.

Sorry, I'm ranting at this point. I'm just fairly tilted over this.

The only interesting thing about the strike was that I haven't completed it a thousand times, other than that it was exactly the same as every other strike... it wasn't even as interesting as some of the Destiny strikes.

PvP felt slower, far more downtime between fights, more running around looking for enemies. I'd prefer if the ability cooldowns were adjusted slightly, not to the ability spam of the original, but better than waiting a minute and a half for a grenade.

Overall, it feels like Destiny 0.5 rather than a sequel.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Keep in mind cooldowns will probably be streamlined once gear starts rolling in, not unlike D1.

Also, the 4v4 PvP felt surprisingly not worse than 6v6. Might have to do with maps, but the tempo of the games felt the same.

6. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I consider the gunplay&game mechanics changes in D2 atrocious. They're all inter connected with their PvP changes with no hope for a real fix. I'm extremely pissed off.

7. Dr. Strange Lulz

That's one thing I'm glad for, armor actually having a tangible effect stat-wise rather than simply being cosmetic (once you're at cap that is). A transmog system would be nice though, I'd prefer not to go back to the days of Vanilla WoW where you were 5 different colors in order to have the best stats.

The shift to a more gun-skill focused Crucible is definitely something I can get behind. And as long as ability cooldowns stay in that sweet spot between "Too long" and "Spammy" I'll be a happy camper.

I dunno, full team wipes felt a lot more common to me. Though I'm curious how their map design philosophy will change with the shift to 4v4. Pretty sure we're not going to be seeing maps the size of Widows Court or Memento again.

Republic - How do you feel about the Hunter ability compared to the other classes abilities?

A melee recharge is great, and as a handcannon user I love the idea of a free reload... but compared to the Warlock's "I can heal the whole team" and the Titan's "I can protect the whole team" abilities... I feel like Hunters kinda got robbed. Then again I main Nightstalker, and the idea of not having my shadestep constantly available is heartbreaking.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Shadestep was broken af though and if you say otherwise you'd be lying through your teeth.

9. Dr. Strange Lulz

Broken af - Perfectly balanced and beautiful and I can get it from a helmet lul.

Potayto - Potahto

While the super doesn't pack the survivability of a panic slam or the absurdity of a sunbreaker, the rest of Nightstalker is OP as hell. Shadestep, marking targets through walls, grenade wombo combo, the spike grenade on its own? And I can have both Shadestep and Keen Scout simultaneously thanks to an exotic? Totally nuts.

I've not given it enough thought on how they can fix Marksman/Gambler's Dodge while balancing it for both PvE and PvP. I just know that it needs an adjustment to be comparable to the other classes abilities.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I find the Titan wall occasionally handy but massively overhyped tbh.

11. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I was wondering when the Destiny 2 Live Action Trailer was going to come.

Pretty well done, imo.

12. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Anyone else try out the PC beta? I'm not a huge PC fps player but overall I thought it was just a joy to play. A high framerate makes a huge difference and the improved graphics and FOV are a nice bonus as well. I spent a ton of time playing Control and once I did some key remapping + sensitivity adjustments I felt right at home and didn't miss a controller at all. My aim in Overwatch is hit-or-miss but something about Destiny (maybe it's more forgiving?) made me perform much better than I expected to. In any case, I had a lot more fun playing on PC than I did on PS4. I'm keeping my PS4 pre-order so I can play the game and experience everything while it's brand-new, but I'll jump ship to PC as soon as it lands.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I played enough to get a feel. Everything maxes but shadows and at FXAA (2160p) I was getting solid 75 fps. Buttery smooth and, whisper it, (the game is super easy with a mouse and keyboard).

Didn't touch pvp because I couldn't care less about Destiny PvP. The game's out this week, I'm curious to see what the opinion on the (hopefully) myriad of stuff kept secret is - the open worldyness, for instance.

14. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Anyone playing on the PS4? My PSN is Awubis Ba.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Preordered for PC, who am I going to be playing with? ;x

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm playing it on PC for whatever little that's worth. Tag is Agayek#1826

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Gonna wait before dropping money. All impressions right now are things I could have told you before any coverage on D2 started (aside from PC performance) - it's the things after the initial impressions and the end game I'll care about.

18. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It sucks to wait 6 weeks before getting to play. PC players got shafted. Presumably some parts of the game were not ready yet.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm so fine with waiting. The port is sublime.

20. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I was impressed with the performance of the Beta, I was running it on max settings, 144fps @ 1440p. Hand Cannons are fun to use