1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There's a trailer for Guillermo del Toro's latest, The Shape of Water. Looks very interesting - a few shades of Hellboy in there, I feel.

Also an adaptation of The Snowman, by Jo Nesbo. Looks good, and I enjoyed the book, but possibly not one that's going to be essential to see at the cinema.

As for films currently out, I went to War for the Planet of the Apes the other night, and it's really good. A very worthy conclusion to the trilogy.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Only few? If someone told me it's Abe Sapien's origin story, I would probably believe them.

Not that it's a bad thing. And it's nice to have del Toro doing a "monsters" film again.

Bright Official Trailer.

A modern world with its fantasy elements in the open is something that has yet to be done well. While the trailer isn't bad, I doubt the film is going to be more than just enjoyable.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle.

That Time Archer Met Kingsman.

While it's not going to be as refreshing as the first one, it should be good.

One thing I could complain is subdued Colin Firth's performance. While having Harry back is a good decision since he's a big part of what made the previous film that much enjoyable, if he's going to lack his charm, he could be simply not included.

And why is Pedro Pascal not named in the trailer when it appears he will have more scenes than some that are? Sure, he's not as a big name as they are, but he's hardly an unknown by now.

Psych: The Movie.

That's how you make a proper teaser. :)

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man September has both Kingsman and American Assassin, can't fucking wait.

Also, hearing some really horrid reviews for Veleria, but weirdly Rihanna is fantastic? I'll probably still watch, just not in imax. Dude should have retired after Fifth Element...

4. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I wouldn't exactly call it horrible. It looks great and has some cool action scenes though its plot is admittedly nothing special and feels a bit disjointed at times. It's main characters suffer from the same swings in quality with some scenes being really great and others being quite painful to watch.

That said I have to admit I still enjoyed it and as I said the graphical element is quite superb.

And yeah the Rihanna scene is certainly one of the better ones in the movie.

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I mean, is that actually an Abe Sapien film? Regardless, looks interesting.

6. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I thought the trailer looked fantastic, though the fact that it's a Max Landis script gives me pause. I'll definitely start watching it, at the very least.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Primary feelings coming out of Dunkirk:

- God I'm glad I'm not in the army.

- Or living in 1940.

- Man, drowning is a really terrible way to go.

- I don't want to die.

I will presumably have some more substantial thoughts about the movie itself in due course.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    Everything I've heard has me thinking Nolan made some really interesting stylistic choices.

I'm waiting on seeing it so I can take the old man.

9. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Dunkirk is absolutely amazing. The choice to not delve into the backstory of the characters all that much beyond a few minor details really allowed me to identify with the human experience going on onscreen more than the individual characters themselves.

I think watching this forced me to feel a wider range of emotions than any other movie I've seen this year. The moments of suspense and despair really helped to make the few moments with levity near the end stand out.

Definitely glad I saw it in theater too - this is not a movie I want to watch first on DVD.

10. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Ergh, not a Landis fan

11. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    I really enjoy listening to him talk. I don't always agree with his opinions but listening to him talk about stories is always captivating. It's good to see someone as passionate about storytelling as he is in the industry.

I might be missing something about him, what's your issue with him?

12. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Dunkirk was stunning. Easily Nolan's best work since The Prestige, and a film that really does demand viewing on a cinema screen, not dvd.

13. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I'm purely talking about his work. It's a very distinctive style which I generally find to be aggregating. I have no clue about his talks or anything..

I recently did a retrospect of Dirk Gently with friends and I realized how little I liked it, that I was forcing myself through because I loved the source material

14. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    It's pretty easy to lay blame down with the writer, but screenplays are fairly barebones when it comes laying out a story. There's a lot of room for loss of interpretation if they aren't strongly involved in the filming process. He's really engaging when he starts describing stories and I genuinely find myself drawn in.

He also admits to making the mistake of selling off a bunch of screenplays and losing control of his stories. The guy has written over a hundred screenplays... he lives for the narrative. He even wrote a Superman comic, Superman American Alien, which across the board got good scores. He changed the way I thought about Superman with his video on his channel Regarding Clark.

I feel like he easily becomes the focus of dislike, which he doesn't always deserve.

15. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

If you're constantly writing pieces which come out poorly I think it's fair to say I don't like their work, excuses or not.

That said, I did enjoy Channel Zero for the most part which he produced

16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dunkirk was amazing. Once again, Nolan has outdone himself. It's been said here and elsewhere plenty already, but this is one of those rare movies that, if you don't see it in a theater, you're really cheating yourself.

It's really, really fucking loud though. It's intentional I'm sure, but I feel I have to warn people when telling them to see it. Apparently it's caused a few people to walk out of it even.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, Dunkirk was pretty incredible.

You can probably watch it at home though, providing you have a killer amp and speakers. The sound makes the movie I think.

The old man fell asleep though. Fucking useless.

18. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets seems to have been made following the formula of two parts Mass Effect, five parts Farscape, three parts LSD, then subtract panache and excitement. Despite that, it's not an awful film - there's a few cool ideas, it looks undeniably stunning, a few moments raised chuckles, and there's Rihanna's pole dance if you're so inclined - but it just zips along with no engagement in the characters or plot, thin as they are.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It didn't help that Dehaan and Delevingne had zero chemistry. Throw in loads of truly awful dialogue with poor delivery, and you have yourself a piping hot mess.

It made me sad. The world needs more good sci-fi movies, and Valerian had some potential.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Comes out the tenth here, but yeah, the main dude (Dehaan?) doesn't inspire much confidence as a leading guy. Delevingne isn't up to much either, but I'm basing that more on recent movies.