1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Prince of a Dark Kingdom is close....

2. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

But it hasn't updated in like three years, right?
    It was close.

3. Stan

Stan Order Member

Sacrifices arc is finished, the R series (the one with the de-aged Tonks) is finished, there are 2 separate Albus Potter series that are finished.

Those are the only finished 7 part series I know of.

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I loved R series, but it was supposed to be (I think) a 14 parter.

Time travel at the end of the seventh. Or maybe offspring?
    , although I can't be certain.

And I don't want to re-read it, because I know it won't have stood the test of time, but I remember enjoying it the first time through.

BrilliantLady is doing a full rewrite, although it's stalled lately (no updates since mid-June, so not too bad really). It's in the Almost Recced

5. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    CleoTheo's Children of the Dark series is finished and covers all seven years. It's probably trash, but...

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    My pet peeve would have to be people that use ‘ or ` instead of '. Why? It's really not that hard.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

SI fics that are AUs of Dreaming of Sunshine
    SI fics
    Fics where the main character always talks about how weak they are in comparison to x. Just fucking improve.
    CYOA fics without at least a build sheet or what ever the fuck they're talking about. It's like a stream of consciousness 99 percent of the time.
    HPFF that isn't Harry centric.

8. basium1

basium1 Second Year DLP Supporter

Harry inheriting multiple estates is pretty clunky. I'd imagine that the last of an old wizarding family who lost their family to Voldemort would give it to him as a thank you for "killing" Voldemort and avenging their family, but that is not the issue I have with the inheritance thing.

I absolutely loathe the way that Gringotts (in these fics) keep track of how many extra sickles and knuts there are, the worst part is that they keep the vault holding the money in the thousands if not millions.

I don't want to have a million of the lowest form of currency in any world when they're not worth a million of the highest.

Why does Harry need to have a forty thousand sickles and a matching amount of knuts and galleons?

Of course, this could easily be explained by the idea that Goblins are horrible at basic division.

9. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't tell what you're complaining about.

10. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Assuming you aren't being flippant, they wonder why people would use a curly quote or backquote/grave accent instead of straight quotes. I can't really see why they'd use the backquote, but the curly quote is more of a stylistic/typographical choice.

11. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Backticks are a bit weird. I don't have a problem with the curly quotes however I do get annoyed when people only use one of them. “Like this".

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    My complaint was made in reference to the inability of some fanfic writers to use the s-genitive correctly. So, as an example, the distinction between

"Frank's,"

"Frank`s,"

and "Frank‘s."

I swear I have seen all three variants used in the same chapter at one point – it might have been somewhere on AO3, but I can't exactly recall where anymore.

As to the confusion, I deleted a whole section of my original text and must have cut out parts of the original explanation without reading over it again before posting. Apologies for that.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Still better than Franks.

14. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

That is somehow physically painful to read.

A new pet peeve I've just gained today: the main character is an asshole and complains about how he sucks and everyone sucks but that's just he understands human nature so much that there's no point in pretending it doesn't suck. The story then proceeds to fellate him at every turn as all the characters look up to him and he defeats every challenge with occasional minor setbacks to pretend the whole story isn't a thinly veiled self-insert. Bonus points for the author claiming the constant rants the character gives are "not my opinion just what the character thinks" which would be fine if the other characters in the story didn't keep causing these rants with complete non-sequiturs obviously designed to reinforce the main character's opinion.

Not so much a pet peeve as a semi-review of a fic that started somewhat promising but descended into boring bullshit, but I have encountered that attempt at a world-wear character before. Sometimes an asshole is just an asshole no matter how many girls rejected them.

15. Zombie

That fic sounds familiar.
    I'm sure I've said this before, or its been said here before, but getting back into the HP fandom, I've found tons of fics that talk about how abused Harry was with the Dursley's physically and emotionally when that was never really a thing in canon.

I mean, I understood when six years ago it was a semi-decent plot device, but the execution these days is just more of a vehicle to describe why their character is demented.

Also, extreme gore. I have seen some bad shit in my life, doesn't mean I want to read it, or see someone execute it poorly. Its like watching an episode of WWE. I picture it in my head as the character looking to the crowd waiting for the thumbs up if they're doing it right, when they're really not.

Shit fics that have thousands of reviews, but still there are DLP fics that has barely 50. You'll read about Pony Slash Mpreg between HP and Tom Riddle Jr and talk about how it fucking speaks to you, but you can't stomach something that is even approaching nuance and finesse.

Powercreep fics where they either go 0 to 100 in .5 seconds, and just do it badly, or where the creep is so fucking slow, you don't realize they've acquired any sense of competence until the last five chapters and even then its hit or miss. This applies to original fiction too. People place too much self-worth on their own ability to write when its sole purpose is for the entertainment of others. Yet it doesn't entertain me one fucking bit.

While I'm not opposed to anyones sexual orientation, but using a thin veneer as an excuse to make someone homosexual so they can pair them with their favorite character. From my understanding of homosexuality, you don't choose to suddenly be gay after 15 years of life. You're born that way.

I say this because I was reading a semi-decent fic. Half way through the author changed the summary to reflect the pairing when there was never any indication as such in the fic that the character was going to be a homosexual.

One last thing, I've been cruising libraries and online stores for new books: I've noticed a bunch of self-published bullshit that the author rants and raves in their own reviews that their customers don't understand their vision. (I can't remember exactly the book, but it was a sci-fi series that was on Google Play for a 1$ the other day, and the author was in the review section telling other reviewers they're terrible people.

This goes back to my previous statement. You write for the entertainment of others first and foremost. Yourself second. You're not worth a single fuck if no one likes your shit. That's how commerce works. You create demand.

Attacking your fanbase is tacky and something that a 13 year old fanfic writer would do.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

As a follow up to this, the explicit lack of bisexuality in any fic that isn't Prince of the Dark Kingdom (where literally every male character is bisexual). Instead of just saying Harry or whoever was attracted to both men and women the whole time, there always has to be that 180 where it turns out he was just exclusively gay the whole time, and he was only pretending to like women due to denial or something.

17. Zombie

@Rhaegar I Did you write All-Father, the worm fic? Minor derail. Sorry.

18. James

James Unspeakable

To be completely honest, you are "suddenly" gay after 12-15 years of your life - since that's the age any young person discovers their sexuality. Not discounting many possible reasons why gay person could hide their orientation from themselves, or just be confused.

Among my gay friends, I have at least one who "became gay" at around thirty - I don't know any details, it being quite the topic one doesn't go into over random coffee, but it happens. Obviously shitty romance in virginal fics is another thing entirely - especially with "slash, because it's cute"

-

On another topic, I have a horrible urge to rewrite every fanfic I come across these days, just to remove Hermione. I am so fucking tired of her being, the SO, the BFF… well, existing really. Fuck Hermione.

19. gokieks

gokieks First Year

I'm with you 100% on writers attacking reviewers being both shitty and utterly pointless, but I don't agree with this at all... at least for those who write because it's their passion, rather than just a job (which many would term, less flatteringly, as "selling out").

This is not limited to writers - for content creators of any type, I ardently believe that the best works come from those who are doing it for themselves, expressing themselves they way they want to through their works. Now, this is of course ideological, and unfortunately we live in a world where most of these content creators have to be able to support themselves, so for those who are not doing it as a hobby (or are independently wealthy), tailoring your work to attract a bigger audience is a necessary evil. But ideally you would try to do it in a way that compromise your own vision to the least extent possible, and to put the entertainment of the audience above all else, including your own vision and ideal, is something that I absolutely do not believe in.

As far as I'm concerned, the (implied) contract between the writer/creator and the reader/audience begins and ends with the former making his/her work available, and the latter choosing to partake of it. Even whether or not money changes hand as part of this transaction is irrelevant - the audience is free to like/dislike the work, and express his/her opinions in whatever form he/she wishes, but the creator is also free to take heed or completely ignore any or all of it. The author does not owe the reader anything other than what's already provided (unless explicitly mentioned - e.g. if a book is sold as part of a trilogy off the bat, and the author stops after the first, then it's arguably false advertising).

I'm not a writer, nor any sort of content creator outside of being a hobbyist. But I absolutely not believe that, as a reader, I get to feel the writer owes me anything. This is doubly true for non-commercial works (since we're on a fan fiction forum), which is why, despite any disappointment I may feel, I won't actually hold it against any author for stories that I love but have been abandoned or on long hiatus (*cough @Newcomb cough* :D).

20. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Nope. Tbh, I don't even know what Worm is, other than the fact it's some work of Fiction people here love almost as much as HP.