1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

this is something i didn't even know i should be watching out for, but now that i've seen it...

when a story with a somewhat interesting premise suddenly shatters, hammers, and grinds my SoD into tiny particles when the viewpoint character walks up to a stranger and goes "what is your preferred pronoun?" and—when the character rightly shows confusion—proceeds to do a full info-dump on the entire freaking gender-spectrum and how everyone should take the time to not automatically assume a him/her situation but rather ask and determine their preferred....

i don't care if this is a real life thing or. if you subscribe to it, more power to you. DO NOT PUT IT INTO A STORY WHERE THERE IS NO SUCH ISSUE AND HAS NEVER BEEN SUCH AN ISSUE IN THE ENTIRETY OF CANON.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

But it's how they express themselves. Every fic main character is a image of what the author wants to be. That's why they can't take criticism, because they feel criticized themselves.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Pet peeve: People who say they want criticism, beg for it even, and when you end up giving them something short of sucking their metaphorical dicks, they don't want it anymore.

I have zero respect for these types of people, even less than the people who outright state they don't want criticism. Those people might be cowards, but at least they're not delusional and lying to themselves on top of it too.

4. Athena

Athena Muggle

High Score:
    I always find it really irritating when the Potters are described as super rich, I mean sure in canon Harry's got a vault and he's set up for school, but NO WHERE is it mentioned he's got 10 summer houses, 3 vaults and a castle twice the size of Hogwarts. I mean I enjoy some Wizengamot orientated stories where the Potters' have a seat but honestly it completely ruins a fic for me when they go completely insane and turn Harry into a billionaire.

5. Zombie

Not defending this, I agree entirely, but I would say that the reason people do this is because a) he does have a vault of gold and his school is paid for, b) he's the last of the Potters and the way families are explained in Canon is that they're extensive.

People reading too much into Pureblood politics could assume that being the last of his line, he's inherited all members of his family's remaining possessions. I know it's something that fanon has beat into the dirt extensively. I usually nope out of a fic anymore when the focus too much on family holdings.

Thing that bothers me here recently is Ordered List.
    Apparently an ordered list is a sure sign you got your head on straight and you're going to read all your course books from year 1 until now and become an expert on magic.

10 years ago it was annoying, and its still annoying today.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's like buying a textbook on thermodynamics, reading it cover to cover and claiming it makes you a qualified engineer.

7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

"Don't like, don't read!"

I really have grown to profoundly hate whomsoever utters these words.

How is anyone supposed to know if they'll like it if they haven't read it? It's like going into a restaurant and wanting to try out something new, but right next to its name in the menu there's a "Don't like, don't eat!"

Granted, putting that in your summary helps to inform people of the substandard quality of writing that is about to assail your very soul, but there's still something annoying about seeing that put up as rebuttal to any form of criticism, regardless if they're harsh and insulting or gentle and well-meaning. I admit that I myself can be unduly harsh at times, but I also tend to mean well if I do go into a lengthy discussion on what particular flaws some fic has.

For those who still resort to "Don't like, don't read!" there is only one fitting response: disemboweling them and feeding them their own entrails so they could finally realize how full of shit they are.

8. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

The thing about "Don't like, don't read" is that it's true to an extent. If I don't like something, I'm not going to read any more of it. But I had to read at least some of it to find out what shit it is!

9. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

People who stroke their writing off in the tags. A common one I see is "BAMF Women". It's like... you don't get to decide that! If your character is badass, the readers will describe them as such. It's like putting "10/10 Masterpiece, this fic is better than Shakspeare" in the tags.

10. Zombie

The fact that a fic needs tags that relate to anything more than the story.

11. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    Honestly if there is one thing that i hate more than don't like don't read it's the reviewers and white knights that rush to the defense of an author any time criticism/bad review about the story is given spouting shit like well you haven't wrote anything so don't judge or i'd like to see what you'd write

It's like i don't need to be a baker to know a pastry is filled with shit , why should it matter when it comes to writing

man ff community is pretty annoying

12. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

I really hate when people make posts they expect to be take seriously but don't captialize and follow other simple grammar rules.

13. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    But that's very common in most of fandoms? I certainly see that extremely often in anime communities.

14. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    I don't watch anime much , i mean i had a mainstream anime's phase but it's over now , although One Punch Man is quite good

Still you're correct in saying that it's common , i just see it in fanfiction more tbh

15. James

James Unspeakable

I'm really, really, really annoyed whenever I see "that is already written" in discussion about ideas, plot bunnies, or whatever would someone like to read. As if there was one way to write something. Ugh.

16. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

wouldn't quite call it a pet peeve (yet), but i do have a question:

you have a female pov character in a PURELY PLATONIC RELATIONSHIP with a dude who:
    • calls her by pet names (baby, babe, etc)
    • has repeatedly stated she is his whole world and he cant live without her
    • has seen the char naked and slept with her (but in a nonsexual way, of course)
    • hugs, kisses, very touchy-feely
    • is NOT the romantic interest
    • is AWARE of who the romantic interest is, and is totally cool with being a sounding board of how much the guy is cool/awesome/sucks/he dun goof'd
    • is completely fine with this because despite all of the above, their relationship is 'not like that'

basically for lack of a better label: he's the gay best friend without being gay.

now, i don't normally care if people complain that they are in the friendzone or not. sometimes it's amusing, sometimes it's tragic. whatever. but i've read this, and will continue reading this half out of morbid curiousity, but i don't get it. is this what people want out of relationships? to have that friend they pretty much want what i would consider to be a very close emotional relationship, BUT also want physical aspects of it and YET they don't want either side to consider it to be a "relationship" and in fact is pining for some other guy?

i will say that i'm assuming the author is female. genre is what i usually see as 'feminine', pairing is popular amongst female fanbase, and the pov is actually (genderswapped) female to allow for it as well.

what gives?

17. Zombie

That's called the friend zone. People that are in it, don't always realize they're in it. Generally one in the friendzone doesn't want to be in it but are there because it's better than no contact at all.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  18. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    I mean to an extent they could be just really good friends ? from the moment he truly has no feelings for her it's ok with me tbh

19. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

friendzone was my initial thought too but most friends i know dont tell each other they love each other or sleep naked with each other and still call it platonic.
    just seems... extreme to me

20. Zombie

The friend zone can be extreme sometimes.