1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I enjoyed it I'll admit. There are a lot of things I'll forgive for an entertaining story, and flaws in grammar are one of them. Having a semi-SI who knows how to uplift the world instead decide to focus on making better alcohol and self-aggrandizement is inspired.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  2. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

A fic some might enjoy is "Promise me, Cat" by Eszelyn.

Author's summary:

Premise is that Varys tells Robert about Jon's origins while Eddard is in the south. It has several flaws - including Robert's characterization and a large plot stretch with the Tyrell's seemingly abandoning Renly - but overall I found it interesting.

3. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    It was recommended earlier. The start is very weak with Varys being omniscient and Robert acting out of character. Once you get to the trial by combat the story starts to turn right into guilty pleasure territory, with potential to maybe become somewhat decent. But that start was through gritted teeth.

4. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Oops, I didn't realize it had already been posted. I did a search for the author's name but came up empty.

And yeah, I agree the plot stretches and Robert's characterization are the biggest flaws.

5. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eddard act like a pussy there, he should have slew Robert in the trial when he could.
    After all he pushed Bran off the tower, he threaten to kill his daughters and is utterly bastard.
    What we got instead is a pussy Eddard that all he can do is shout HonoRRRRRRR and die, while screwing his family even more.

Not to mention I have this peeves with lets crown Jon Snow as king out of the blue because reasons.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

The problem is that the story, or rather the characters from the story, doesn't acknowledge that.

They (the author) blame Robert Baratheon for starting the rebellion. They seem to forget it was Jon Arryn who raised his banners first.

Also, there's mention that the killing of Rickard and Brandon Stark wouldn't have pushed the North into rebelling. What the fuck?

7. Methos

High Score:
    It is like most authors have no understanding of feudal duties.
    They understand what the vassal owe to his lord, but ignore totally what the lord owe to his vassal.
    Like protection of Judicially via court of justice.
    When Areys didn't provide proper justice to Rickard and Brandon, he broke his oath to them.

Another fic I would like to see, Dany comes to Westeros to claim her birthplace, only for Westeros to reject her, Westeros had enough of Insane Dragons and their entitlement feelings

Luc
  8. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

She then sets them on fire with her dragons. It's not a democracy.

9. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Bran could always steal a dragon from her and use it to fight the others(both remaining dragons and the Others). He is some sort of a super warg after all.

10. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

While there's nothing in canon to say that he can't do that, much of warging is unexplained, I've only ever seen that in Stark wanks which makes me somewhat biased against the idea. If dragons were that easy to steal you'd think that one or two wargs would have gone on a field trip to Valyria given they had literally thousands of years to try.

11. Methos

High Score:
    She can try, her delusions of entitlements will gain her nothing, Bran can always pull a Winter magic (As true King of Winter if we go the magical route) or they can just assassinate her or her dragons.

Dragons are nice tools, but there are plenty of ways to overcome them.

12. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

You're right. That's exactly what happened the last time Westeros was invaded by a conqueror with three dragons.

13. Methos

High Score:
    There are differences, Aegon knew how to use dragons, and Westeros wasn't united.
    I don't say they will win, i say they have a chance if they are smart, meeting Dragons heads on lead to the Fields of Fire, there are other methods to deal with insane Dragons.

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Your average warg might be incapable of it, but the show sort of made Bran into a minor god.

Also all of Westeros remained mostly dragon free before the coming of Targs. And since dragons seem to have absurd range, what with one flying all the way to Sothoryos. Something must have kept them away. I'm not saying that its cannon, but there is the possibility for it. I personally still believe that the TV series is going to end with Bran vs Night's King duel where both of them stand staring at each other impassively while the dragons they control battle each other overhead.

15. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL

[​IMG]

16. syed

syed Supermod

The night king apparently marked bran to allow him into the cave, I wonder if bran to use that connection, to go into the dragon. A door once opened can be entered by either side.

17. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

For those looking for a Ned fic. As far as I know it's only available on Alternate History which requires a log in.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/summer-crowns-au.425453/#post-15565964

In this story Rhaegar isn't at the Trident and ran away with Jon to Pentos. The royal army was lead by Arthur Dayne and Gerold Hightower. Like in canon Robert wins killing Dayne while Ned kills Hightower. Because Rhaegar is still alive Robert refuses to be King and decides to chase after Rhaegar. Ned's brother, Brandon, is alive, but has been tortured to the point of crippling by Aerys. Brandon is bitter, and I think jealous of Eddard's position among the Northern Lords. Words are spoken between them that make it impossible for Ned to go back to Winterfell so he decides to help Robert raise a new army to go after Rhaegar who is raising an army with Pentos.

It's good so far. Brandon's actions toward Ned are the part I have trouble believing, but I can accept him being bitter after being lamed and missing out on the whole war.

18. Methos

High Score:
    Brandon is a broken man, so his attitude is somewhat plausible.
    The Robert in this fic (at least 4 ch, will do the world a favor if he dies in a ditch) and Ned need to get his head out of his ass, However I'm enjoying it

19. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Knees Falling updated.

Great chapter. It looks like the Lannisters are screwed.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk