1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair I got into GoT fic like a fortnight ago and read a shit ton in that time period :p. That's what I meant by passing through it though; the Wall wasn't their final destination. They found an old cache of obsidian arrow heads while they were mucking about there too.

It is definitely a fix it fic though. I have found it to be better than most of its kind, on a technical level if nothing else. Nothing in it made me cringe, and there isn't a bloody single seed planter or printing press to be seen, thank fuck.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Well, it sure as hell isn't encouraging to see that the author bases the fanfic off the horrible abomination that is the TV adaptation.

Also, it's a well known fact that 99% of any given fandom will be filled with fics that are just plain shit. It's also a well known fact that no matter how shit some fics might be, there will always be fanboys all over, ready to defend it to their death.

Even that aside, the way R+L=J plays out in most of ASOIAF fanfics tends to be indicative of the quality that follows after. I think there's only a rare few, including Hash's quest over on SV, that did R+L=J in a way that didn't make me want to quit reading the story.

3. El Tarkus

El Tarkus Squib

High Score:
    Only this come to mind:

CaekDaemon's Raiders of the Lost City
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/8953711/chapters/20492932

Tywin sends Tyrion, the Hound and Davos (plus others) on a rescue mission for a supposed-dead Gerion Lannister imprisoned in Gogossos.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

D I R E C T R U L E (SI).

Just a start of another SI, but this one is quite a little more unusual with its protagonist.

How can a SI of Joffrey be worse than Joffrey? The chapter 8 answer it quite easily.

By becoming a Westerosi Hitler.

Sounds outrageous, but this premise have a potential as long as it doesn't turn into a crack and the old establishment is up to a challenge.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I read through it earlier today and was disappointed when he easily created a musket.

6. Redhawk

Redhawk First Year

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11147599/19/Oh-Fuck-Me-Running

Here's an SI fanfic that I thought would be about the SI Joffrey doing the best he could to redeem his horrible reputation from the show. Then he rapes a servant and Sansa in the first two chapters. I was simply skimming a list of GoT fics and this was the only one that didn't have grammar mistakes in the summary so I opened it up. I guess this'll teach me to pay more attention to the actual content of the words.

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Ah yes, that gem from QQ. It's amusing to see a SI that is actually the selfish person that nearly everyone would be. I'd like to see it in a proper fic instead of this smut.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's probably necessary for the early XX century dictatorship theme, but it's why I want his enemies to be able to match him in other ways.

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Perfidious Albion, the writer of Knees Falling, has started another story "Scream Against the Storm" with the premise that Stannis is the one who goes into magic instead of Euron. It's delightfully creepy so far, and I have high hopes for the rest. It's on Ah.com now, and perhaps he has or will post it other places. It's worth a look either way.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Linked chapter 19.

11. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There are only two ways to make R+L=J legitimately believable. Lyanna either went willingly and then tried to leave when her father and brother were murdered, or didn't go willingly. If it's the first, Jon might be legitimate. If it isn't, Jon is more of a bastard than he thought.

Either way, Jon is definitely not the fairy tale ejaculate the fandom and the show like to play with.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Link because links are hard.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  12. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. I find that most SI lose my interest when they introduce guns or other such technology. Though this time it lost me when

the whole Hitler/Nazi thing started. Joffrey and the SI merging and being horrible human beings is one thing. But this...well, leaves a bad taste in my mouth after reading.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I was kind of hoping for something better, given who's writing, but really, that scene with Renly was just too far for any SOD.

Jon isn't legitimate. Polygamy is not accepted in Westeros. Rhaegar can't just annul his marriage in secret. IIRC, the only possible circumstances for an annulment would be if Elia Martell was barren and failed to give him children. Now, granted, when the Targaryens had dragons, they could and have gotten away with a ton of shit. Rhaegar Targaryen has no dragons, barring the one on banners.

14. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

As with all things, Jon can be legitimate if someone with enough power says that he is. Details, then, become unimportant.

15. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

My thoughts exactly. Not a wiff of printing presses, just butt fucking and creampies.

Links are your friend.

16. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

17. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

That was awesome. I enjoyed it more than his other stuff.

18. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Same. I'm really looking forward to seeing exactly what the hell Stannis has been up to in Essos for 15 years.

19. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Heh. Writing one non Stannis wank story made PA so pent up he made him a Bran/Mellisandre/Euron hybrid in this. ;p

20. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Holy shit.
    I can't believe how short and pithy that line was where Stannis threw Renly over the rail. Perfectly done.
    And so it is that the Mannis became the most ruthless motherfucker that ever lived.