1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Other Fandom Almost Recommendable: Barely Readable to Almost Good [Volume Two]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Antivash, Aug 19, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I mentioned it in the Danmachi thread, didn't worry about updating here.

Mods have said they'll put it back once they've scrubbed it, but I dunno if I could be bothered to keep writing after that.

No word yet on whether it'll get crossposted to QQ or FF

2. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

I really don't care all that much for Warhammer, but did that fic get pulled down because of that twerking scene? If so, I truly have to marvel at that being deemed 'inappropriate content' when you have stuff like this on Cartoon Network nowadays.

3. Thaumologist

High Score:
    It's been down over a week, and only the latest threadmark was flagged as inappropriate... But I didn't see the chapter before it was removed, so I can't tell you for sure. But the comments suggest it was moving into lap-dancing, which is, obviously, completely obscene and will ruin SB forever by turning it into a wanton pit of depravity.

However, the rest of the threadmarks (including most of the omakes) have been pulled. I think to the mod subforum, so they can look at everything "in context". It's quite possibly going to result in trimming to the rest of the story too, because violence, murder, and blood (all happening around a young child!).

It might end up moving to QQ, if the author doesn't lose all ability to care for it. But they're staying pretty quiet since, so who knows.

I don't always understand the moderation on SB, and I don't even bother trying anymore. Some things are fine, some aren't, and mods go mental when the things that aren't don't get reported (there was a Worm thread that had something apparently inappropriate, and considerations of everyone who'd liked or posted since that post, because they didn't report it). They've also suggested anything you suspect might be bending the rules, and to not worry about being banned yourself for too many reports.

4. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    I didn't make it far. This is a typical 'fix the broken' man Sakura story Sakura fandom so adores.

5. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

So....anyone else here read Lulu's Bizarre Rebellion? For those of you that don't know, it's a Code Geass/JJBA Crossover, in which Lelouch gains a Stand rather than Geass. Geass still exists, and rather than just C.C. being in the capsule at the beginning of the series, it's her and a Stand Arrow. Obviously, Lelouch gets nicked with the Arrow.

Geass and Stands are supposed to be incompatible, with a couple of exceptions that become relevant. Needless to say, the combination is...scary.

I've generally enjoyed this fic. It's well written, and most of the characters are on point. There's intrigue and scheming going on in the background, shit doesn't just revolve around Lelouch and Britannia, and there is very big sense of a larger game with many different players going on. I'm trying to refrain from too many spoilers, as, while it mainly follows the stations of canon at first, it very quickly veers off the rails.

As one may expect from a Code Geass and JJBA Cross, thins are very....bombastic.

I bring this fic up, however, as I recently caught up with it, and well....I want a bit of a second opinion. In canon, I was never a fan of Shirley and I nearly hate her character type, so this may be my bias talking, but in the fic, I found her to be...shoehorned in. Like, she's there, but it doesn't feel like she's really necessary to the plot, with everything she's done being something that could easily have been achieved by something else. While her character is more fleshed out, and given a bigger role (A much bigger role) she just seems very....annoyingly there.

So, is it just me? Or does Shirley seem like she could have been phased more into the background, and the things she 'contributes' to the plot have been achieved in other ways?

6. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Yeah, big fan of it. It's actually in the DLP library here. Woefully lacking in reviews though...

Ends up actually having a pretty complex and interesting plot, with absolutely unique plot arcs from what you come across in any other Geass fic.

One of the things I love about it is the huge cast of characters where just about everyone is interesting, intelligent or badass antagonists (not just a giant Lelouch wank that many Geass fics become). It also does this for many of the absolutely nobody canon characters - people like Ohgi, Kewell, Shirley and hell, even Kallen's mother becomes a character. The Mao arc, for instance, goes from being one of the worst arcs in canon to being one of the more interesting ones here.

Regarding your comment on Shirley, I like the fact the author tried to develop her into a character, but I get what you mean by her fading into the background.

I don't think we've seen many POVs from her recently - I am not sure if this is an intentional way of preventing the audience from understanding what is going through her head. For a narrative style that focuses a lot on exploring what characters are thinking, what goes through their heads and has many many POVs, Shirley's narrative feels so blank. In this last arc, it seems like she barely did anything.

Not sure if this is intentionally trying to distance her from the audience to prevent us from seeing how much she's changed, or whether the author just forgot about her. Guess we'll see.

Edit: Note that I am up to date on SpaceBattles, so a bit ahead of the Fanfiction.net story.

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12364248/1/Influenced-Out-of-Normality

Ironman/BtVS crossover

This fic is disappointing. It starts of really strong but flounders about mid way. Mostly because it's an Ironman crossover that doesn't feature any Tony Stark doing Ironman stuff and the Buffy/Willow bashing/idiot ball that picks up near the end.

8. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Kaleidoscope is a self-insert story about an Uchiha who survives the massacre due to his fear of Itachi. It spends a lot of time focused on the SI, and was an enjoyable (if not great) read. However, its most recent updates and conclusion absolutely wrecked it. I don't think it's possible to suspend your disbelief enough for the finale to be entertaining.

The first part is still worth reading, and the second is enjoyable as a time-waster, but that last bit should be ignored if at all possible.

You can also find it on Ao3.

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

10. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

Yeah, what a fantastic and interesting start and what a fantastically shit end.

11. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

I read it and I agree. Mostly. I think Tony being Iron man would have been too crushing in narrtieve sense. So it makes sense that was kept to minimum but there should have been atleast one scene where Ironman being awesome.

On the bright side it is finished and if you want to write a sequel for it you can totally do it. Author put it up for adoption.

If anybody is going to read it, leave after 1st arc. It was totally an awesome tragedy. Last part shit on it really hard.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  12. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

Kaleidoscope turned stupid at a rate I've never seen, complete with sprawling relationships and a fundamental lack of understanding of social situations that I can only assume the author was a victim of an extreme case of neckbearditus.

13. magglez

magglez First Year

I think it was more weird than horrible. But if you manage to make it through the whole thing, the ending is just depressingly awful. Some of the ideas presented throughout were interesting, but it lacked the creepy paranoia and pervasive horror of the first part. Which was basically all that made it worth reading.

14. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Unlucky Star, after a few years of no noise from the author, has updated.

This is one of my favorite Raildex stories. The author absolutely nails each character and is always able to pull a laugh with their hijinks. Definitely worth reading, especially now that it seems back from the dead.

15. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I've recently finished this Naruto story. It's complete, and roughly 300k words long.

Stumble by writer168

TL;DR Summary: a Sakura and Sasori time travel fic. But really it's mostly a Sakura time travel fic.

In my books this fic is the very definition of a 3.5/5. The writing doesn't flow very well sometimes, but it's still reasonable enough that it doesn't detract too much from the rest of the story. Some of the characters I kind of wish the author spent more time on, because they didn't really have enough development and there's a lot of room for exploring how side characters end up different in the alternate timeline. And the overall plot hits many of the classic time travel tropes/problems. But the story kept my interest the entire way through and I didn't regret finishing it, which is more than I can say about the vast majority of fics I've attempted to read.

16. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I read https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9882853/1/Jinx-Stands-for-best-matchmaker-ever-Dur by Cinis recently, and got a good few laughs out of it. Probably not worth reading if you're unfamiliar with League though.

It's crackish, and there's no real plot, but the characterization is fun and easily recognizable and there's some real gems in the dialogue and overall laugh out loud moments.

The title is basically the summary for happens in the story, with pairings being decided on a per-chapter basis. There's a main cast of Jinx, Vi Cait, Jayce and the Demacians vs the Noxians.

17. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
  18. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    The Batman - The Legend of Gotham City's Dark Knight by Newt_Flute_Boot

The fic is aimed mostly at new readers, but I enjoy a different aspect of this fic, one which is the main reason for my reading of both fanfics and big shared universes - seeing various ideas being used, reused, changed, mixed and updated. And this fic does a pretty good job at that seeing how it mixes Post-Crisis continuity with a big dose of Nolanverse, author's original ideas (or at least ones that I don't recognise) and a lot of other continuities while also smoothing out some problems with logic. For example, I really enjoyed how author reused Rachel scenes, sensible explanation of Waynes being in Crime Alley or expanding Wayne Enterprises to the size that can logically support all of Bruce's crazy spendings.

So far all mentions of Superman and both meetings with him were skipped, though author implied in the review that the world won't be limited to Batfamily.

The writing is average, it does its job, the mistakes (at least those I see) aren't numerous, though repeated mistaking of you're/your are pretty jarring.

But there are two main problems. The first one is descriptions of locations. For example, based on the initial description I thought this is Furst's Gotham, but based on Julie commenting on gothness of the castle it seems to not be the case. It needs more details.

The second one is a bigger one and is actually the worst thing about this fic - internal monologues. Barring those taken directly or almost directly from comics - they're awful. They feel very unnatural, destroy the flow of the scene, mess with pacing and are all telling where you should be showing. Really, you should get rid of them altogether or at least limit them heavily. Unfortunately, author stated that he will continue to use them.

Speaking of telling instead of showing - it's a wider problem. A very good example is Dent's hostage situation we only hear about. And it's something that could show Dent's convictions so well, it could be really powerful scene, instead, we get it as a part of incredibly boring speech about Harvey.

That also ties into the pacing. Mixing of details from various versions leads to there being too many details. Less so now, but it was very visible in the earlier chapters. There is also a lot of other unneeded stuff. We get it, Bruce often stands Julie up or leaves her and she gets suspicious because of this. There is no need to hammer the point with a million of scenes.

Yep, I know this is basically a review, but I want to wait for the Year One and Two to start before putting it for review. For those wondering, ahead of us in this year should still be a version of Prey, possibly of Shaman and some manner of the first fight against Joker (based on The Man Who Laughs? Or maybe more of a Nolanverse Joker).

19. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Peculiar Dream By: LPK9
    Luke Skywalker, age 20, has a very strange dream one night. The future changes. Post ANH AU.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Family/Angst - Luke S., Leia O., Han S., Darth Vader - Chapters: 47 - Words: 144,804 - Reviews: 909 - Favs: 488 - Follows: 706 - Updated: Dec 27, 2017 - Published: Jun 28, 2017 - id: 12549483

Starts of reasonably strong, but that author is clearly one of those types of people who can't leave a main characters single and now the story is beginning to look like a baby fic.

20. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Title: This Won't End Well
    Author: Stranger Orders
    Rating: T? It's on SB
    Fandom: Warhammer 30/40K
    Pairings: SI/OC, but not much of it.
    Summary:
    Link: Spacebattles

By the author who brought the mild disappointment of Gaemon's Guide, we have another mind-meld SI. Beware for spoilers below.

I picked it up because I thought, given the author seems to be partly receptive to feedback, they might have made some edits to their process. Turns out they haven't, but in a setting that doesn't see much, you can't be quite as picky.

SI wakes up as a giant, so determines (within the fifth paragraph) that they're a primarch. And then it turns out that the planet they're on is from the early days of space colonization, and has loads of archeotech and blanks/nulls (technically soulless people who make the warp unhappy). The story follows along with the SI as he pretends to be an amnesiac (which he kind of is), makes friends with the locals, and gets a sword with an AI in it.

Then we get a fourteen year timeskip, and now the SI is the king. This is all summarised in a single post, where each year gets a single sentence description of what happened, with no explanation. But that's all because the Emperor is now arriving!

And so He steps out of His ship, at a glorious hundred and fifty centimeters tall, tells SI that it's cool he has a AI powered magical sword, and that He planned to abduct a soul from another dimension to give His son a chance, despite lacking his own soul. Then SI gets to have the Eye of Terra on everything, put his AI into a ship, and his OC Waifu gets made immortal by the Emperor, who also devises a potion to turn all of the Second into her children too.

I stuck with this longer than I should have done, because I'd like to read a decent primarch!SI, and this was pretty close, and then I was invested... Until it all just got too much. Multiple issues where the author decided they wanted to ignore the lore of the setting for their own reasons, and more and more interludes from other viewpoints.

The update rate is pretty decent, and it's not the worst thing I've read for 30K, but I just lost interest, and it felt like it was taking too much effort to read.

2.5/5, rounded down to a 2.

Not open for further replies.