1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

If you were to write a Fem!Harry?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by adamsmitgh, Sep 30, 2017.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Ludwig

Ludwig Fourth Year

High Score:
    This is a fight you can't win.

3. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Sounds like a good time to me!

4. James

James Unspeakable

Sounds like my cat. And he really is an asshat.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I shed a tear every time I remember that there's no more Alexandra to read about.

6. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I am going to take a wild guess here and say that the op is a trans troll.

7. EuclidPersons

EuclidPersons Muggle

Nah, I think a good writer can pull it off. Magical cores on the other hand shudders

8. James

James Unspeakable

The person above me does not get it.

9. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's not to get? It's not like Taure wrote a good Fem!Harry fic that he took down for no apparent reason or anything.

10. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

I personally have no problem with fem!Harry. Some of my four (five if you count Taure's now deleted masterpiece) favorite HP stories, A Long Journey Home, The Never Ending Road, Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus, and Daughter of the Blood, all happen to be femHarry stories. So fem!Harry isn't the problem to me, it's how it's used in the stories which have it.

The reason I like those four (formally five) stories is because they didn't entirely make those stories just to have an excuse to pair Harry with a male character of the series without making it slash, or making Harry female in order to have femslash. I like these stories because they are simply good, if not great, stories, in which Harry happens to be female.

Yes, I know that in some of those stories, particularly in the case of Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus and Daughter of the Blood, and in a lesser case The Never Ending Road, fem!Harry could have easily been male instead of female and it wouldn't have changed much, and that usually the only reason for that (especially in the case of Daughter of the Blood and The Never Ending Road) might be that the author may have had a nonslash pairing in mind.

The difference however, to those other fem!Harry stories I find, is that the pairing isn't the main focus and it isn't shoved in our faces as the clear reason for writing that specfic fanfic. Rather, the pairing is part of the story, rather than the story itself. They try to focus on making a good story first, rather than making sure the pairing happens, which is why I like these stories. The fact that they are good stories as well certainly helps.

This is why I ultimately disagree with the first post of this topic, because it tries to focus on who to ship fem!Harry with. Well that and the stupid Ron bashing. I'm so, so tired of reading Ron Bashing.

So anyways, yeah, that's pretty much my opinion on the subject.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  11. basium1

basium1 Second Year DLP Supporter

To answer OP's questions, I always ship my characters with whatever whoever goes with whatever multi-chapter idea I have, including FemHarry.

As for the prophecy, it can go one of three ways:

Somehow, FemHarry is the one that the prophecy is talking about. The "him" who is marked as his equal. It can be done, but you need to actually think a bit for that one.

If you didn't forget that there were two candidates for the prophecy, you can replace the Chosen One with Neville. A good author would have to get creative and make FemHarry interesting enough on her own and maybe give her her own adventures and friends in the fic, that seems to be too hard for the other authors.

The third way is to make her the famous Girl-Who-Lived, even though the prophecy explicitly states the gender of the "Chosen One". It's easy to take that route, especially since it involves less thinking.

On the topic of Ron: I can see them together, even in an adventure where the "cooler" guys would stand out. That's just FemHarry's choosing someone who's "safe" to be around, though.

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

You can always change the prophecy.

13. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Generic he is a thing.

14. h2o

h2o Professor

Much more interesting would be the prophecy worded as in canon and Fem!Harry leaves Dumbledore a bit stumped and extremely curious. Is she the child of the prophecy? Is the prophecy wrong? How would Dumbledore treat her differently from the Harry we know if he believes her to not be the chosen one? Or if he still believes her to be the one, does he protect her more because she's a girl etc?

Then again, I feel Fem!Harry is perhaps already done as well as it can be done in Jeram's story.

Edited to add:

Would this change in gender for Harry mean that Dumbledore instructed the Longbottoms to stay under the Fidelius charm as he was unsure of the prophecy, meaning Neville's parents wouldn't be tortured to insanity and we'd see a completely different Neville coming to Hogwarts... also Barty Crouch Jr & co wouldn't have been convicted of that crime. A whole load of new roads to go from there really.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  15. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

Same personality and love interest.
    I don't think those things have to change with the character's gender.

16. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

But if all your going to do is change the pronouns why bother doing a fem!Harry at all? Gender has to come into play somewhere, people do after all react differently to men than to women. Frmale Harry placed in the same situations as male Harry would have a different experience even if her personality was basically the same and she was a lesbian.

For one thing we never see how homosexually is thought of in the wizarding world. It was not exactly the best thing ever in 90s muggle Britain.

17. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

Even if the two versions are attracted to the same gender, the experiences of a straight man and a lesbian woman are different.
    The way a fem!Harry attracted to Ginny would act is different from Harry. "But she's Ron sister" would be the last of her problems, but how her friends and professors would act, would the fact of her being lesbian or attracted to more than one gender make the treatment from the Dursleys worst?

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

O

Considering most of the time spent at the Dursleys was before 11 she may have had a far better time there as a girl than as a boy. For one thing Petunia may have seen her as less direct competition to Dudley, did not have a daughter and may have been more uneasy about treating a girl harshly. Her sexuality was unlikley to come into it unless you wanted to make it a plot point. Teenage Harry(iet?) would spend most of her time at Hogwarts and never felt the need to share anything with them. There would be no reason for her to bring up her sexuality to the Dursleys whether or not she thought they would react poorly.

Reactions to homosexuality is not something explored in the books, we have Rita's salacious article about Dumbledore but that could just as much be about the fact he was basically banging Hitler than the fact he was gay. It would be boring to make it a) progressive in exactly the same way as it is in muggle 2017 is or b) a reason for poor wittle Harry to be persecuted at every turn for a love none of them can understand angst angst angst.

Plus you've got the problem that Hogwarts is a very small school and unless you are going to have a slash fest then 1.5% of the population identify as other than straight, there are 20 girls in Harry's year and probably 140 in the school. It would be funny if the only other lesbian close to her age was like Pansy Parkinson or something.
    --- Post automerged ---

19. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Whatever do you mean...

(hihi)

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fake news. I would never write fem!Harry.