1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Banner Photoshop Competition

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Sorrows, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Yay or nay?

[​IMG]

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Nay, make it transparent, and change the color to something that will show up on a black background, otherwise you've just got this huge colored thing at the top of a page that has defined gradients and shading.

I'd make it the smaller banner style, the one the left. Just have it be the dark mark, and on the right side, for when the site is minimized it shows your dark lord potter text, but again, transparent.

I see everyone isn't using the abbreviated name, is there a reason why?

3. Armani

Armani Second Year

It more or less has something to do with the wording and design. It's really hard to make a super good design with only three letters, there are less options to do. Less overlay and colors to work with. But all the while, yes, sometimes too many words can cloud a design. It really all comes downs to, do you have a sensible color choice? Are the gradients good enough? Do the colors compliment each other?

Also, it's I guess to signify, that this is indeed Dark Lord Potter. It's kind of like a welcome mat in a way. Don't you think? It's not like that a welcome mat in front of a house says WLCM (unless it's a minimalistic welcome mat), who knows what that could mean? I mean DLP can mean a lot of things. There is actually a medical term that is abbreviated as DLP. DLP: dyslipoproteinemia. Anyways, that's the end of my little rant on design.

don't ever get me started again.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  4. Samanthers

Samanthers Muggle

High Score:
  5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

There are some really nice entries on here but I am wondering how they will be adapted for mobile viewing. Currently the banner is comprised of two images, only one which shows when you look at the site though a smaller viewing platform like a tablet or a phone.

6. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

Heresy, leave Anakin Alone!

7. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    DLP can also mean Data Loss Prevention , drives me insane every time i only type DLP on google

8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  9. stayintheloop

stayintheloop First Year

High Score:
    For the sake of the forum, I also whipped one up.

Uiteindelijke_versie.jpg

Hope you guys like it.

10. Zombie

Could be better. Our Dark Lord Ginny banner was more tasteful.

I haven't really seen anyone commenting these, and like @Sorrows said, we need smaller banners when the site is in compact format, otherwise its empty. @BTT put together a decent banner, imho. Others are bright, inelegant, and cartoon-y. The one with the Marauder's Map was neat, but some people prefer to have a bit more anonymity when others may be shoulder surfing behind them.

I liked @Andrela 's submission as well. Like I said before, I think the background should be transparent and the text in a different style. Potter text doesn't really scale that well.

Overall, good work on everyone's part. I cbf'd to install photoshop again, which is why I haven't submitted something.

11. Samanthers

Samanthers Muggle

High Score:
    With such a vague instruction, "smaller" I'm not surprised I'm the only one who didn't bother. I haven't any idea how big a cell phone banner should be. I know nothing about making websites. I just took a few photoshop classes in college.

Also, I think your criticisms of other people's work are unnecessarily harsh, especially considering that you didn't even try yourself. This might be of interest to you. https://www.wikihow.com/Criticize-Constructively

12. Zombie

Raven listed dimensions in his post. Small banner should be 217 by 250 atleast. Also the point of this thread was to judge other people's submissions and determine a clear winner of what could possibly be the new site banner.

Not everyone that posts in this thread needs to have a submission.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  13. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Those were the heights. 217px is the current, but as long as it's 250px or less then it's fine. At present the DLP Banner on mobile is 340px wide, so that'd be something to shoot for I suppose.

14. Zombie

Thanks for the correction on that. I read the 250 in context of the smaller banner. <3

15. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

Made some concepts, not great by any measure but this is the extent of my skills, maybe if people like it someone else can rework it. This can at least be easily shortened for mobile. I couldn't find the deathly hallows logo with a transparent background.

No idea where to put the title or DLP.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Zombie

If you want it as a paint brush, its a bit less stylized than the one you have, but you can try it here. You can then apply it to anything.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  17. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

Yeah I found the original one, but not the one I used, thanks though.

18. Armani

Armani Second Year

@Longinus, I would recommend using the last one, then putting the words in the black space; using a dark , transparent-ish green and a tasteful font, (not the Harry Potter font because that would look pretty bad.) I would consider using raleway, and see what happens.

19. Longinus

Longinus Second Year

I'll give it a try when I get home.

20. Tiffany

Tiffany Muggle

I made 3 versions, since it seems like the backgrounds for each skin is black, white, & green.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]