1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But what about my E D G Y-ness??????

2. gokieks

gokieks First Year

The British Reformation is kind of like this, and also at least has a somewhat interesting and original solution to the Voldemort problem.

3. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

It also has some really retarded logics if I remember correctly, like I think I nearly coudlnt finish the fic because the morals where so damn off.

4. gokieks

gokieks First Year

I mean, I'm certainly not pushing it as a paragon of quality, but I've seen much worse. Mostly just wanted to mention that it kinda fit the criteria specified, even if the solution to the Voldemort problem, rather than the Harry/Fleur relationship, is the most notable aspect of it.

5. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Dat Angst-fest in Chapter One tho.

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For the people wondering why harry/fleur always turns out so badly, here's the yearly relink of Newcomb's post which has the yearly relink of my post from years ago:

Basically, writing is hard.

7. EmeraldGuardian

EmeraldGuardian First Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure if anyone has seen this new fic yet: The Half-Blood Romantic by Sophprosyne

I've just read the first chapter but I already think it has one of the more interesting characterizations of Fleur I've seen in fanfiction. I can't speak on how it will go in the future, but I'm hopeful this might be the Harry/Fleur fic I've been waiting for. Ok, now I'm going to head back to read the two other chapters posted so far.

The only stumbling block I could see in the future will be how the author handles Fleur's break up with Bill. How its done I think could be what makes this fic sink or swim. I'm hoping whatever it is, it's not going to head into unneeded angst territory, but I'm hopeful that it will be done right.

8. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  9. ygrekks

ygrekks Squib

Some people reccomended it but I think that A Cadmean Victory is really good. I've read some random pages of this thread and people are mostly complaining about the romance being rashed or plainly stupid and illogical (I think all 3 are connected). What this story is doing good, is that we follow both Harry and Fleur from their own POV's, and that explains how Harry feels about everything and it does the same for Fleur. They're not falling for each other at the first sight - they hate each other. And the story is not even solely about their relationship. It still follows the canon with abvious differences but it;s about Harry becoming his own person rather just being the Golden Boy for the entire story

10. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Haven't read it yet, but IIRC, the complaints leveled against Cadmean Victory were about Fleur turning into a mindslave, basically? And that Harry and Fleur as a couple couldn't be rooted for at the end of it. It seemed to bring up some particular vehemence when I came across people discussing it on IRC.

11. ygrekks

ygrekks Squib

You would have to explain to me the concept of 'mindslave' becouse I have no idea what does it mean. And about the ending, well there are 2 as far as I know. One of them is posted as a different story (the original one I belive) and the second one is at the end of Cadmean. Sure the ending is very diffrent from what you can usually from the story on ffnet but it works for the story. I don't want to spoil everything but it's not the story about being the hero/saviour, and every experience that Harry and Fleur go through explains why they are acting in the way they do. And sure, I'm not claiming this story to be a masterpiece but it is definetly worth reading. What I belive has been done very well is character development - every character changes as the story progresses (and I really mean every character). Romance is written fairly well as well. Just give it a shot

12. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

It is quite some time that I read it, but if I remember correctly, beside some overused and bad executed tropes A Cadmean Victorys biggest problem was that the promise of the story never worked. The pairing is done terrible, Harry remains unintresting, he has large leaps in his logic to advance the plot as the author desires.

I think there was one chapter with Tonks, an otherwise not appearing character and in that one chapter I rooted more for her than I did for Fleur in the eniter story. The fic would have been better if the author would have rolled with Harry/Katie.

Sey
  13. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

A lot of pages, but I just want to ask a simple question - do you guys recommend any library worthy HP/FD fics? I've read Cadmean Victory and loved it. Some other well written stories about this pair would be welcomed. -

14. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

You could always use the tag system search here on the site.

15. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

If you like a Cadmean Victory, you should be able to digest most other HP/FD fics on FFN just fine.

16. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Anarchy said. A Cadmean Victory was pretty fucking terrible.

Dagger and Rose is pretty good.

17. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Clutches chest in mock pain

You wound me. </3

Nah, but seriously - what do you guys recommend? Cadmean is by no means perfect, I feel you there (guilty pleasure on my part).

18. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Knowledge is Power by Fettucini and The Lie I've Lived by jbern are my go to guilty pleasures for HP/FD. Dagger and Rose, as has been mentioned, is also frequently recommended. Heartlands of Time and Wastelands of Time, if you like massive AUs. Newcomb's What You Leave Behind is also supposedly HP/FD, although iirc it hasn't reached that far that a relationship has formed (still a good story though). That's pretty much all the good/readable stories there are.

If it looks like a short list it's because there aren't really all that many good HP/FD fics. You can, of course, go read some shit harem stories if you're really desperate. Or, y'know, go write a good story yourself.

19. suspicious

suspicious Muggle

High Score:
    The Halfblood Romantic by Sophprosyne is the only one that I follow for HP/FD at the moment. I absolutely love the character interactions, can't say too much about the quality. (But no Harry overlord sillyness or cringeworthy bashing) It's more then enough when I compare it to some of the things I've seen on ff.net so far, but that's just my opinion.

Nevermind, the story is even posted in here. You propably should've found it by now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  20. Vulcan

Vulcan Groundskeeper

Plot bunny : Post-War, AU.
    Harry Potter is a decorated war veteran with a level of paranoia on Moody's level. Fleur Delacour is a wealthy socialite rapidly rising in ranks of the Department of International Cooperation. Tri-Wizard tournament never happened, so they had no chance to meet.
    Harry accompanies Minister Shacklebolt to Paris to meet French Minister of magic. During the welcome reception Fleur accidentally lets out a burst of allure. Harry, who never encountered Veela before, sees it as an attack on his mind and stuns Fleur.
    To smooth things over and prevent the scandal, Kingsley reluctantly agreed to Fleur's request for Harry to accompany her for a week as a personal bodyguard. Fleur sees the non-reaction of the strong-willed Auror on her beauty and Veela allure as a challenge. She plans to use that week to win him over. Harry? He just want the week to end with his sanity intact.