1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra Sun/Moon

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Jarizok, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I’ve just started my new adventure. Join me, Pokéfans!
    --- Post automerged ---
    I’m playing Moon btw. Because Lugia.
    --- Post automerged ---
    D1, entry the first: accidentally killed a pichu I wanted to catch. Sad life.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also maybe worth mentioning I picked Rowlet as a starter. But who else would you pick right? He’s clearly the superior pokemon.

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wanted to pick Litten or Popplio, just cause I chose Rowlet the first time... but I can't. I mean, I chose Rowlet cause he's awesome when it first came around, and he's still awesome.

Be pickin' up mine the moment I have some free time today.

I've heard it's not quite as different from the first games as it should be, so I'm worried.

3. Jarizok

Yeah, start is basically the same so far.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Personally didn't care overmuch for any of the Slowlola starters. I don't like getting outsped by a lot of what I face in the game. But at least Decidueye has a cool typing, I guess.

5. Jarizok

We’re collecting stickers now?

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've heard the start is similar (but improved over the railroad of SM) and then the endgame opens up into something great. Hoping that's true because a weak fizzled out late game is where Pokemon usually fails.

7. Jarizok

Got myself the first of many Eevees.

8. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

https://i.redd.it/cxfib3q8dawz.jpg

So this is a QR code you can use on second island. It let's you get an event hat pikachu as a gift from pikachu meadow or whatever place it is that I'm yet to reach. It's a movie promo thing so I'd grab it asap because I don't know if it is permanent event or not...

9. Jarizok

I got the pika hat and shirt from going 5/5 in the pikachu trivia quiz. It’s the tail, guys.

10. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

Got Pokemon Moon Moon, cause last time I got Sun. Picked popplio because I decided McDapper from my first sunmoo adventure is the only Rowlett for me.

So far the games pretty similar (though at least prof No Shirt is not invading my house as much), though I think it looks a little cleaner. The little details they added are nice.

Picked up a bunneary and I'm off to Pokemon school to beat down a whole bunch of elementary schoolers

11. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I never actually completed Sun, and can't remember where I was in the game. I had a Salazzle, Golisopod(?), and Litten's stage 3, but I dunno which island or anything I was on. I had a load of issues with the game (it felt slow, and handholdy, but I'm now old and jaded, so who knows). I think I ended up stopping when I forgot to save, ran out of battery, and lost over an hour of play which I really couldn't be bothered to play back through.

But I thought I could give UM a go.

It's still slow. I've been playing with TV on, so not paying full attention to the game, but I'm now at 1h15, and I've just made it to the first pokecentre. It's still handholding - the literal flag on the map when I've been told the building is next door, and every possible route is blocked off. Running around along a single line where nothing happens feels like a loading screen.

The cutsenes don't add much at this point, and having to wait for the animations is grating. The option to have "just show me the text" would be great, because a load of it is people laughing, rubbing their tummy, then turning and laughing at someone else. And it seems unskippable. Just a "next line" option, like in Fallout4, would be pretty nice. To be fair, so would a "I have over 300 confirmed championships" option, to skip the 'lol wat pokeball/mart/centre do?' scenes, but I don't think we're getting either of those.

Something looks weird with the grass, too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game. I just needed to vent some frustration

12. Jarizok

And then when I actually need help finding something, I'm left running in circles until I give in and google it. Friggin Nebby.

Anyways, got my first Pokéfriend to level 50 just now, so I'm making progress. I'm running Decidueye, Muk, Hawlucha, Raichu and Aurorus. Keeping one slot open for a fire/fairy/steel type? The dream.

13. Jarizok

It's done.

I. Am. Champion!!!

My victorious compatriots were:

Hawlucha, lvl 73
    Raichu, lvl 70
    Decidueye, lvl 70
    Aurorus, lvl 68
    Muk, lvl 67
    Volcarona, lvl 60

Yes, I was indeed rather over leveled. Shit happens.

14. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Is there any way to track requests/side quests? I know I've been given one to catch Salazzle, one to find the meowth, and then something else I've forgotten... Or do I just have to talk to literally everyone?

15. Jarizok

I've been running across Alola trying to remember them. There's no in-game feature that lets you track it I don't think.

16. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

So, I bought and ran through Ultra Moon. Appreciated the endgame content while it lasted, though I hated the new mechanic for searching out Ultra Beasts.

17. Jarizok

It's frigging terrible.

Chalk it up to "at least they tried something".

18. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Beat Ultra Sun a couple of days ago, most of my team was in the low 70s. Primarina, Infernape, Chesnaught, Crabominable, Gigalith, and Vikavolt.

Finished off the post-game plot this morning and yeah, it was really nice. I'd love to see that sequel hook pan out.

On the whole I enjoyed the additions and small improvements, but RotomDex can fuck itself with an electric eel, I cannot believe they programmed it so badly. The Ultra Wormhole with gyroscope controls was also a disaster, but the option to change to the circle pad should be better once I actually test it out.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Primarina, Vikavolt, Alola Dugtrio, Crobat, Scrafty, Lunala!Necrozma here. Espeon was the sixth until Mount Lanakila, when I made that switch.

20. Jarizok

I see you people have failed to grasp Rowlett's superiority.