1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Slytherin: During, and post-War

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Miner, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Miner

Miner Order Member

I've always been interested in reading the perspectives of both sides of any conflict. So I'm looking for good fics that explore the perspective of the Pureblood regime, and people who at least believed in those ideals. I generalize them here to be in Slytherin, although this does not have to be the case.

I guess a prime example of what I'm looking for is A Beautiful World by Sesc. (On phone, so no links)

Simultaneously, I like looking at the aftermath of a war... from the losing side's perspective. No administration is perfect, and so I'm curious as to what the fallout would look like for both innocent bystanders that had the appearance of being on the wrong side, to sympathizers who never actively took a role in Voldemort's regime. What does the Shacklebolt administration do to them for punishment? How do they live, afterward?

I haven't really found any good ones for this yet; there's mostly just a glut of Harry/Pansy stories that focus on redemption for the "Somebody grab him!" line in canon. They're not bad for guilty pleasures, but nothing close to the quality I'm looking for.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... people would do that. What a gigantonormous waste of what would be the most interesting dynamics in (directly-)post-Hogwarts Canon. Pansy needs to be completely unapologetic, and Harry needs to be entirely unforgiving. And then they need to be forced to work together.

A redemption plot there is just ... bah, you could always burn diamonds to heat your tea pot, I suppose :s

Anyway, yes, do tell, if such stories exist. But I can't think of any.

3. Miner

Miner Order Member

Lol Sesc.

You're even more offended by this than I am.

Although, to be entirely fair, a lot of those fics are mostly just "Harry is so attracted to Pansy that it really doesn't matter if she tried to fuck him over at any point in the past."

Not that it's much better.

4. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The only one that I can recommend is A Young Man of Questionable Morality. It still hits some of my peeves, but the writing is generally good. There do exist a lot of stories based on this topic, but most of them are filled with the usual terrible Slytherin cliches and Robbed Cossack type whining.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  5. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I could have sworn I saw a decent smut filled hatefuck fic that featured HP/PP.

---------- Post automerged at 00:44 ---------- Previous post was at 00:43 ----------

Not sure that's what the OP wants though.

6. Miner

Miner Order Member

To be fair, the guilty part of me enjoyed Stalking Harry Potter, but not what I'm looking for, yes.

7. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    This is relatively old, but I recommend the Latet Anguis In Herba series. First in a four part series that goes from Order of the Phoenix to one last post-canon novel.

Follows four original characters, all Slytherins, that are a year older than Harry. It gets the dynamic of Slytherin pretty well-I think-without resorting to cliche. The first novel is the weakest, so I would recommend starting with Shade to Shade

The author Slide is a great writer, and has original fiction published.

The characters are not quite on the losing side. but it has several interesting POV's, including an Auror who stayed with the Department through the War, and the son of a Death Eater.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'd never heard of this author before reading this comment, but I'm reading her story Ignite right now, the first in a trilogy, and it's pretty enjoyable - centered around Albus, Scorpius, and Rose (and a few other new characters) as they try to find out what's causing a plague at Hogwarts. I'll try the one linked after I get through this if it doesn't go off the rails, thanks for the rec.

9. raobuntu

raobuntu Seventh Year

High Score:
    Ignite and it's sequels are actually a sequel to the Herba series. There will be a few minor spoilers (romantic pairings), but the two series should be able to stand alone.