1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer reboots Everytime I play a Steam game

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Invictus, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

2. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Yeah. Twice. I ran the program twice, just after each crash .

3. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

I mean it's pretty obvious you won't find crashdumps, since you don't bluescreen but the pc rather shuts off immediately. As some people already said that immediate shutdown is usually one of 2 things: overheating (download HWInfo and check temps during benchmarks to check), or defective hardware, usually the PSU.

You don't happen to have someone around who can lend you his PSU for a couple of hours so you can install that and see if it happens with it as well?

4. carl

carl Seventh Year

Have you recently updated your firmware to fix the Spectre/Meltdown issues? I've also been having crashes recently (GPU hanging/memory corruption) with Youtube videos/Games etc.

5. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Don't think so?

Also. Ran a benchmark and things were at a 57°C before it crashed. Like just after, it crashed .

6. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

57°C was the GPU I assume? What about the CPU? Anyways, if nothing is reaching about 90-100°C, temperature won't be the issue, which leaves a defective component as the most probable cause - especially the PSU. Only real way to test this though is to put a different PSU into your PC and see if it continues crashing.

Also, carl was refering to a BIOS/UEFI update against Spectre, since the (now no longer offered) updates were causing system restarts for Intel platforms.

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

GPU and CPU we're at 57° .

8. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

Yeah, PSU looks more an more likely cause. Do you have a spare? Last thing you can do is try runnig a linux system off an usb and running same games through Wine. (If you know how to do that). If same problem definately PSU

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Nope. Nor I have a friend that can lend me his. What a headache. I think I'm gonna have to leave it with the IT guy from work, for an outside job. Gonna cost me a pretty penny but better than no PC I guess. At least I have the documents to prove I bought it and I can ask either my money or a new one since it's still halfway through warranty. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

10. Harry_J_Potter

Last thing, where is your pc plugged in? Directly to outlet? Surge protector? Or PSU? Although unlikely could you try plugging it into another outlet? Preferably on a different circuit breaker.

11. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Surge protector. I can plug it directly to the outlet? Don't have other surges or a psu.

12. Harry_J_Potter

Not recommended for long time but to check if it's not your surge protector having problems. Or your outlet itself. Can you move it to a different room? Are you living in house or apartment? If house, move to different floor, so it's on different circuit for sure. That way we could rule out both your outlet and surge protector

Edit: I'll check the tread tomorrow/today, I'm going to sleep, its almost 5am here

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  13. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Apartment. There is another circuit in the apartment yes. Gonna try moving .

14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It was the PSU. Had it replaced. Cost me a pretty buck. Ugh. Apparently the problem regarding steam, specifically there was another problem regarding the GPU and its fan (Steam games didnt activate the fan to work as it should). So there were two issues. Yay.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I do have a problem, its weird, I'm using riva tuner and it says to me that, after I changed my frequency to 144Hz, I'm getting 1300-1400Hz, despite V-Sync on and me limiting via Riva the FPS to 141.