1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Bearely.

2. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

Maybe we could combine the above mentioned theory with a way to get Harry to Essos.

A few years after Voldemort's death Harry realizes he hasn't aged a day and understands the ramifications.
    Utterly devastated he has minor/drunken breakdown/rant at Dumbledore's tomb.

"After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure."

Suddenly Fawkes appears before Harry and somehow conveys to him, that he is willing to sacrifice his immortality to give Harry one last adventure.

In a great burst of fire an unconscious Harry Potter appears in the plaza in front of the Temple of the Lord of Light in Volantis.

Dismissing him for a failed Firemage the Red Priests take him as a slave.
    I would have Harry loose his wand completely to give him a sense of desperation and mercilessness. With Fawkes gone, so is the feather in Harry's wand. Just give Harry a significant edge in Asoiaf magic and some bits from his old life like Legilimency for example.

Asoiaf Magic:
    - Fire-omens

If he should go full Dark Lord Potter he could always dabble in necromancy/Inferi.

Ps. Just want to add, that the picture of the Firemage could be Harry entertaining a young Daenerys Targaryen.

3. KGB

KGB Headmaster

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm sure it was discussed before, but why not again: Harry Potter fused with Pokemon. Basically, the "Muggle" world is the Pokemon world, with Pokemon trainers using the muggle technology of Pokeballs/Pokedexes, etc. But wizards and witches use magic instead.

There is no Statute of Secrecy, similarly to the situation from Pokemon games where you had trainers who could use psychic powers. In here, they're full-on wizards and much more numerous.

There are no other animals except Pokemon, so they're used for everything normal animals (regular and magical) were used in the Potterverse.

Wands are made with a wide variety of cores, such as Dratini heartstrings, Rapidash hair, Skarmory feathers.

Charlie Weasley could be a badass Dragon Pokemon trainer, working with Dragonites and Salamence, etc.

Pokemon body parts are also used in potion ingredients, for example the leaves/seeds produced by various plant pokemon, etc.

Slytherin's monsters could have been a legendary Pokemon. Maybe Rayquaza? Then again, Rayquaza ins't really a snake. So maybe Zygarde in its snake form.

When Muggle scientists managed to create Mewtwo by cloning Mew, Gellert Grindelwald decided that muggles needed to be ruled by wizards so that such a thing never happened again. He was defeated by Dumbledore and his Ho-Oh named Fawkes (heh).

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Right. This has become quite long after all, so I would like you to, in the spirit of recent thread content, bear with me here.

Irregular, a
    Harry Potter/Kingsman crossover (working title, obviously)

This was spawned by a recent re-watch of both Kingsman films and the second Johnny English film (“a secret, secret service?!”).

After the war, Harry joined the auror corps, canon-style, but his career took off in a different direction when Minister Shacklebolt actually remembered that it might be useful to know what the muggles are up to beyond the bi-yearly tea time with the PM.

Nineteen Years Later(TM), Harry leads a unit of highly-trained professionals called the "Irregulars" (working title as well), a division of the DMLE that spies on various muggle government organizations and other groups of interest. As they operate independently from Aurors and Hit Wizards, Harry answers only to Director Robards and Minister Shacklebolt. Harry, as the first and, so far, only Head Irregular, is the division’s handyman, recruiting and working with his very small & select group of agents, while also coordinating their deployments. Selection criteria include an intense familiarity with the muggle world, as well as exceptional aptitude in DADA, Potions, Transfiguration and Charms, and recruitment happens either straight out of Hogwarts or during Auror training. The former also helps with Minister Shacklebolt’s directive to entice more of the traditionally overlooked muggleborns and half-bloods into Ministry service.

When a spot at Kingsman opens up, our friendly neighbourhood spymaster, having found out about them at some point in the past, and monitoring their activities as closely as possible ever since, is determined to send his own candidate to vie for it. This is where I would have to decide whether I’d want to use an original character or one from the films, depending on where the story actually starts and how strictly it follows the path of the films. My current favourite is Roxy, since she actually made it through Kingsman training and her background is as nebulous as it is, canon-wise, probably bland.

As this would be my first novel(la)-length story attempt, there are no great ambitions for it, but I would want it to be a somewhat decent time waster with the more-than-occasional tense and funny moments.

Harry would feature heavily in a mentor/advisory role, and I’m currently trying to think of a subplot that keeps him busy as well as pulls him back to the Kingsman storyline towards the end.

Marrying both universes should be possible. To a certain extent, both operate on a similar premise, which is “what the ordinary people don’t see won’t hurt them. And if they do see something, we can make them forget/stay silent.” From a writing perspective, I think the biggest difficulty would be to tone down the over-the-top tendencies of the Kingsman films while not losing the entertainment they create.

TL;DR

• NYL, Harry is still involved in the DMLE and leads a small division of ministerially sanctioned spies
    • After years of waiting, he finally manages to infiltrate Kingsman via the protagonist
    • Plot would most likely follow general canon timeline with very generous padding, at least until Golden Circle
    • Harry himself would have a mentor/advisor relationship with the protagonist, while following his own subplot(s)

6. albeva

albeva Squib

- DELETED -

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Doesn't seem like a very DLP-like prompt tbh. Maybe more something for the hpff subreddit?

8. albeva

albeva Squib

It says plot bunny thread ... not all plots suggested are nor should be "dark".

9. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Nor should they contain Draco wank.

There are plenty of places where everyone will sealclap as soon as you mention Snarry, or whatever ridiculous thing they are calling it now. This has never been one of them.

10. albeva

albeva Squib

huh? what on earth is Snarry? You should really get off whatever you smoking mate. My suggestion has absolutely nothing to do with slash or romance.

11. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I know, but disregarding whatever the fuck @KGB's on about, it doesn't really seem to fit DLP? We largely don't tend to go in for Harry/Draco, in a platonic or a romantic sense, but even if it was let's say Daphne or Fleur and Harry, it's still just a variant on a "reading the books" plotline where it's films (about a different fandom, at that) that are being watched. It's not my cup of tea, and I think that it won't be that of most of the others here, either.

I'm not slagging on you if you like reading those kinds of fics, mind. Hell, might be that I'm wrong and misread the mood and most of DLP will go in for that kind of thing.

12. albeva

albeva Squib

Deleted my suggestion. I thought I had a fun / humorous idea that could be an interesting read as an intro for a wizard into muggle cinematography and what Muggles can accomplish. But apparently this forum has very narrow view on what is acceptable and phobic against anything else. While I can understand not liking premise or idea - for each their own. I did not expect an immediate knee jerk reaction here. Don't worry I shan't be posting again.

13. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think you're being a bit extreme there. In my opinion, "watching" or "reading" fics do not lend to an interesting story; it's just character reaction and dialogue. There's no premise or goal. It relies on an author having a complete understanding and mastery over the character personality and speaking patterns. And, even if they do, most characters aren't even interesting enough to make a "watching" fic actually enjoyable to read. And don't even get me on the idea that Harry would sit and watch a movie with Draco.

TL;DR: Makes no sense and is boring.

14. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Let me explain something to you. DLP is not toxic. We just hold ourselves to a higher standard. Draco wank doesn't meet that standard. At the end of the day, you can crawl back to whatever Draco fangirl hole that you came from, and complain about how DLP is a forum of elitists and jerks. Or, you could accept genuine criticism for what seems to be, a bad idea.

Not every argument is unresolved sexual tension. Whoa! Seriously, is it that hard to understand that the two or enemies. Just because you want to fangirl over slash doesn't mean you are going to get acceptance from DLP. If you want, you are more than welcome to stay. In fact, I highly recommend that you do. Before I joined this community, I was all about the super!harry cliches because I didn't know better. A lot can be gained from DLP; a nice community with banter, and primarily, excellent fanfiction, not Haco (?) slash.

On your prompt not specifying slash, you said something like platonic or slash is okay. This is clearly you (attempting to) welcome slash fics without isolating those against that kind of stuff. I once again bring you back to my point, "Not every argument is unresolved sexual tension." We are not phobic to specific tropes, we (or at least I) are just against poor story telling and poor plot points. This includes slash.

15. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Is the last part of your post poorly worded or do you really think that slash in and of itself is a "poor plot point"? That would then result in indeed being "phobic" to a specific trope and, to be honest, your whole post very much reads exactly like that.

Also, you're basically arguing against air here, no one ever said anything about sexual tension, an argument against which you're ranting throughout this whole post for no reason I can see. Same goes for "fangirling over slash", where do you get that from?

The idea wasn't all that fascinating, but your post is just completely out of place honestly.

16. Donimo

Donimo Auror

lol

17. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    We aren't. Joking around an providing criticism where it is asked for isn't toxic. Its being helpful and taking part in some light hearted internet banter. Maybe we have thicker skin than most?

18. Deftex

Deftex Third Year

High Score:
    Puhhh-lease.

DLP is beautiful in its toxicity.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LotR doesn't have enough outright magic in it for a pair of wizards to critique, and HP magic is too much of a soft magic for them to critique Tolkien magic.

Instead, it's games night at the local interdimensional pub. Harry and Daphne Potter are there, as are Astoria and Draco Malfoy. The girls have spent the previous week badgering their husbands into playing nice with each other, so they've resorted to arguing over the 'Muggle' furnishings and beer on tap as a proxy. Another Harry has just arrived, clad in a leather duster and smelling faintly of sulfur, and he has brought with him his kid niece, a girl named Ivy. Harry and Draco are united in their displeasure at her presence, as they still suspect her of cheating at last month's game of Celebrity Heads. A brother and sister arrive last, Edmund and Lucy, and the woman looks approvingly at the lion badge pinned to British Harry's chest. When all have taken their seats and ordered their drinks, American Harry reaches into his duster and pulls out a skull, setting it on the table. After a moment, its eyes glow orange and it begins to speak.

"The game is Dungeons and Dragons, 3.5. Lay out your character sheets boys and girls, and remember ladies, stat buffs are available at the usual rates..."

20. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is beautiful and I will never forgive you if it doesn't advance further than this.