1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Could Lily have saved Snape?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Severus, May 23, 2017.

1. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

There was no way for Lily to "save" Snape because he was a magical nazi, even before they met.

Lily spend years of her life on a toxic friendship and making excuses for his behavior.

2. fifthmarauder

fifthmarauder Muggle

I think Lily had all the influence to save Snape but she just did not try hard enough. Also doesn't help the fact that they are in two separate houses and they have been influenced by the circle of people they are always surrounded with. Had Lily been in Slytherin or Snape in Gryffindor, these two would be inseparable and could have even ended up together.

3. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Why should she try?

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Because Snape is a nice guy, damn it.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

6. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    I very much doubt Snape was a "nazi" when he was a kid, he wouldn't have bothered to befriend Lily in the first place.
    So I guess Slytherin is to blame ?
    I also doubt Lily could have known that he was becoming a nazi.

7. Nikarell

Nikarell Squib

Had Lily been in Slytherin she'd have been alone, bullied and discriminated by the whole house for being muggle-born.
    Snape'd have been her only friend and company. She'd excuse every shit Severus said/think/do, afraid of losing the only person who stand between her and loneliness.

The relationship between them would have been totally abusive and unhealthy.

8. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

She knew he was hanging out with dark wizards/pureblood bigots, and that the group collectively wanted to join Voldemort once they graduated. So she knew enough. As for whether she could have done more than she did, probably not. The one thing we missed in Snape's flashbacks was what exactly drew him towards Mulciber and the others besides his interest in dark magic/possible peer pressure.

9. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Now I'm imagining Snape posting on r/incel about how females ruin everything because they never jump into bed with him just because he acted like a normal decent human being for five seconds. I could totally see him opening up a thread and ranting about how "In all the years I knew her, I never once used a love potion or Imperius curse to get her in my bed! Why doesn't she appreciate me more?!!!"

10. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I think she knew very well

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Why the fuck would Lily shave Snape? His facial hair only seems to appear in drawings by JKR and Mary GrandPré, while playing no part in either the movies or books.

Also, since I went to the trouble of making this pic, I suppose this thread is reason enough to haul it out again...

[​IMG]

12. Harrylover

Harrylover Banned

Yes. I think her abandonment of him was in the end the straw that broke the Thestral's back, so to speak, in his joining the "dark side." People can say hurtful things when under pressure and when being tormented like Severus was, and we've seen that that was one of the things he's regretted the most.

He definitely said it in the heat of the moment, he was being tormented by the Marauders, I very much doubt he was thinking clearly in that moment.

Lily had two options: Stick with her childhood friend and lead him to a better path, or abandon him, just like every one else had, so he had no option but to go with the Death Eaters, the only ones who would accept him anymore.

I just wish James wasn't so much of a bully, it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth that she ended up with him. He bullied her best friend and tormented him and she married him.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The Nice Guy levels are off the charts.

14. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

If your friend called your mother a disgusting whore, would you stay friends with them?

15. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Depends on how much you liked your mother I guess.

You can say that again. At least it tell us who we don't want in our community.

16. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    "If only the girls of UCSB Alpha Phi had been the adoring harem he deserved for being a supreme gentleman, Elliot Rodger could have been saved from killing those people!" ~Average James-hating Snape fan

James is a good guy whose worst crime was being mildly obnoxious sometimes in high school, and whose most questionable choice was being too hung up on one girl for his entire school career. Snape's most questionable choice and worst crimes involved being a murderous terrorist.

17. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

I feel there was no saving for Snape.

Maybe earlier on in his life but once he got into Slytherin, he had no chance. He was sucked into Death Eater circles, either by choice or force.

After that no character had either the patience or influence with Snape to change anything.

Also, I get the feeling the only deed he repented was Lily's murder, nothing else.

So, when he switched sides all he did was spy for Dumbledore and start intimidating kids. There is no proof in canon that he did anything else out of goodness of heart. (Someone please check DH if he did anything to check the Carrows).

Like the rest of them said, his was an obsessive love.

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Anyway what makes Snape's charecter interesting is he 'saved' himself. His actions got Lily killed, in that moment of clarity he repented his ideology. However much of a basted we see him in the books we never see a hint that he thinks of muggleborns as inferior. Finding Hermione annoying doesn't count, he's equally a cunt to Neville and Ron.

Not only does he repent his beliefs he actively works to destroy them at massive risk to his life. He could have quietly fucked off to America or something. Yet in the years after Lily's death we never see any sign that he wavers from this path. He's a dick and a travesty of a teacher but you can't fault how proactive he is in making amends for his formative choices. A role that garners nothing but hatred and suspicion and ultimately death.

19. Dubious Destiny

Dubious Destiny Seventh Year

I think he remembered that the mudblood slur did cost him a romantic interest which was why I think he did not espouse his ideology openly.

It is very difficult to tell what became of his beliefs in canon(what with Dumbledore always in the background). Also, leaving Voldemort is never an option.

Remember Karkaroff? I am not sure if you are referring to the subsequent books released, in which it is said that Voldemort found it difficult to infiltrate the Americas.(no-maj? Seriously?) But remember, Snape was high enough a Death Eater to be positioned at Hogwarts.

While punishing students unfairly was a tenable practice, taking political sides against mainstream muggleborn supporting by committing any sort of muggleborn discrimination would have had Dumbledore berating him for his foolishness, after which he would either be exposed by Dumbledore as a spy, or have the same use significant political capital to secure his position at Hogwarts. Also would not have achieved his goal of ending the being who had his love killed.

While revealing himself to Dumbledore, it is shown that his main motivation in 'redemption' was Lily's death, not change in ideology.

Power of obsessive love notwithstanding, I find it difficult to believe that her death would change anything. Her death only served to make him an embittered man.

He was interested only in Voldemort's downfall, as shown in the same scene.

I suppose that it is my own bias against redemption which also helped in forming my opinion...
    People(including myself) believing an action can be negated (or made up for) is an inanity beyond all magic.

Ahh.. my idea separation sucks...

20. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would argue that Snape, just like Voldemort, never even believed in that ideology in the first place. Snape's reason for joining the Death Eaters was simply a way for him to feel like he belonged somewhere. Yeah, he called Lily a Mudblood but that doesn't really mean that he agrees with the ideology. I've called my friends bastards but I'm pretty sure they all have dads.