1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them Sequel (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter North, Nov 19, 2016.

1. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

Hmm, I guess you're right, didn't notice the design pattern on the first picture wand, considering the second picture is more recent, that's the wand they're going with. I wonder what its components are more than its design, looks like a dark wood, could be Ebony, which actually makes sense.

2. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I often thought Dumbledore's wand was almost certainly made of acacia wood, since it "withholds its best effects from all but the most gifted", and who's more gifted than Dumbledore? But now that you mention it, in retrospect - ebony is a good pick.

3. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    You asked "what else". And FB doesn't even show quantifiability in any way.

4. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I find it really hard to believe they'll ever come out and say, "Dumbledore's magic measures above 9000."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  5. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Fantastic Beasts Dumbledore is in the foundation establishment stage and his core sea was condensed into mana pillar which makes him hundred times more powerful.

6. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Hear, hear! No magical core, or it will make me rather sore!

7. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

That's just semantics and you know it. FB shows quantifiable in the fact that credence doesn't turn into a whole universe when his Magic takes him over.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

I don't understand why the fandom can't just agree that magic is basically an incorporeal muscle that can be exercised, atrophied, strengthened, weakened, and which has a maximum strength ceiling unique to an individual or magical creature.

It offers both book and movie explanations for differing power levels, it explains how knowledge, practical skill, and experience give an edge over the inexperienced, it even explains those rare cases of energy drain after magic usage that the "Knowledge Is Everything" crowd don't like to acknowledge.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Let's come at this from a different angle - FB does not imply a "physical source of magic". I think you have fundamentally misunderstood what an obscurus is.

An obscurus is simply a magical creature. Like Dementors, lethifolds, etc. it is a non-being i.e. not a biological creature but a purely magical one. It is parasitical in nature and is born when a child (the "obscurial") rejects their own magic.

An obscurus is not the same thing as an obscurial's magic (the obscurial being the host to an obscurus, not identical with it). It is a separate entity to the obscurial, and the only obscurial to learn how to control their obscurus is Credence.

None of this at all implies:

1. "Physical magic", whatever the hell that is even supposed to mean.

2. Magical cores.

All it requires is that individuals have magic. Which is the premise of the entire HP series.

10. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

The Obscurus is caused by someone actively suppressing their Magic, meaning that Wizards have A) Their own personal Magic B)Their Magic is something they can 'suppress' meaning it's something they can physically control, but I'm assuming that Wizards unintentionally draw upon it like how we don't actively use our thyroid gland (consciously I mean).

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A Witch or Wizard is a magical being; magic is not something they have, it is something they are.

Your reasoning isn't wrong, but it's not the only conclusion you can reach from the way Obscuruses and Obscurials work.

12. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

But the entirety of FB, Newt states that they're suppressing their Magic? There are no canonical statements supporting any of your statements.

13. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You could suppress your raging homosexuality without having a quantifiable gayness core.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that was the parallel FB was drawing.

14. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Suppressing your magic is the opposite of accidental magic. Consciously willing your magic to not manifest. That in no way points towards magical cores, regardless of how much you like the concept.

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dementors spawn where there's despair and depression, doesn't mean a Dementor is literally depression condensed into the solid form. I'd bet an Obscurus works in a similar way--it spawns when a child rejects their magic, or to put it in a way that doesn't leave room for misinterpretation, when a child rejects the fact that they're a wizard or witch. Pop, an obscurus spawns. The child --the host--is an obscurial.

16. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    Good point. Lockhart's skills, "once rather good" was "blunted nearly beyond repair" by "years of neglect and misuse". That pretty much confirms it.

17. GreatRedDragon

GreatRedDragon Banned

But, it's like, I never said that Magical Cores exist? If anything I'm in more agreement with what Khan said, Magic being a muscle and all.

18. TheLazyReader

Someone mentions magical cores and everyone goes nuclear.

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You haven't been in the fandom long, have you?

20. TheLazyReader

Me? Fourteen years and counting. But I guess my joke was ultimately lost on text. Oh well.