1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Do you like Harem fics?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mickey, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Sounds like wish fulfillment to me, Harems have no place in modern times. Monogamy is king. Go back a couple hundred years and it would make more sense.

Wasn't it the Sheiks that always had the harems of beautiful women.

If anything a harem is a poor allegory of status at best, and at worst, its wish fulfillment of the worst kind. Predicated by a virgin with no life experience.

2. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

Never understood the point. Harry is rich and famous, he doesn't need a harem. Most girls would willingly spread their legs for him.

3. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

I only read harem fics. I think Hermione deserves all the boys because she's the smartest witch of her age. My favorites are when luscious malfoy, snape, and remus are in the group.

4. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Patrician taste right here, boys.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know I never thought I'd enjoy any of the ones you linked me but often the characterization's just incredible and it's kind of refreshing to have such a strong female character.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Garbage. No.

I'd say you don't need to have the protag have a harem for him/her to be promiscuous and bang everyone, but it's pretty clear that, to the authors who write them, harems are more about not letting other men 'have' the women. Take them out of the 'fucking' pool, as it were.

Have I forced myself to read them before? Yes. For the reason Taure mentioned. Makes me feel dirty afterward, lol.

7. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    Can I get some of these stories then ?
    I'm intrigued hm.

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Lrn2Sarcasm.

There are no stories.

9. AmerigoCorleone

10. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    Honestly I don't think it's that much of a stretch that a good harem story exists.
    I mean a good author can ,imo, make anything work so yeah I didn't get that (didn't get that as in I wasn't completely sure).
    Although I was 80 % sure it was sarcasm hence the hm.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  11. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    The important part here is 'a good author'.
    That's why it's kind of a stretch.

12. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Eh, I read more than a few. It's an occupational hazard if you want to read fanfiction in the fandoms I like. Wasn't so bad when I was younger and more clueless and some of them would qualify as guilty pleasures nowadays.

There was one I actually liked - a BleachxHighschool DxD crossover funnily enough, although the numbers never evolved into the usual harem size we see in fanfiction. Ichigo is in a three-way relationship...except the women hate each other's guts and actively try to undermine and sabotage the other. He is developing feelings for both of them (no love at first sight bullshit and he was forced into the situation in the first place) and is aware of their little war but can't do much without outright ditching one.

Using the harem as a source of conflict in a non-comedic nature was new to me, as it was the women involved sabotaging each other, and it's not like these concepts are revolutionary or anything. It's just that most harem fics are wish fulfillment written by amateur writers, which doesn't bode well for them.

13. AmerigoCorleone

There are some good Harry/Ginny/Luna fixs out there.

14. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm not really sure that's a harem.

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That sounds more like a love triangle than a harem.

16. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I know, I did say that the numbers never grew to the usual harem's size. The author said there would be more but the fic kinda died before he could get there.

17. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is two partners consider an Harem?
    If not ,what is the minimal amount to reach Harem status?
    Harry + 3 Partners usually lead at best to guilty pleasure, that you fill quite guilty afterward.
    The only fic that is decent with Harry + 2, is the Queen who fell series.
    There the author actually flesh out the characters.
    All the various fics with the ridiculous names of Lunarharmonie or other combination usually rate at most as guilty pleasure, with the guilt varying.

18. Stan

Stan Order Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  19. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

A decent bleach fic? a decent Highschool DxD fic? Those seems as rare as decent harem ones. Got a link?

Meanwhile, to weigh in on the discussion, frankly, its wish fullfilment. And I read fics for wish fullfilment, so while it's a big guilty pleasure of mine, I don't think I ever saw a good work with one? There was one manga that did it in an interesting way (Umi no Misaki), but that was it. But, for example, I can tolerate stupid harems more than DARK LORD HARRY or OP HARRY or Overpowered protagonists in general.

20. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    Sword That Pierces The Heavens is a nice Bleach fic. No pairings as far as I can remember.

Normally I wouldn't even open a fic if I know it's harem. But here are some that I unknowingly read and kinda liked:
    • Retsu's Folly: Harry Poter & Bleach crossover. You may have read it though, it's written by Nuhuh. Also, I'm not sure if this's supposed to be harem, but that's the vibe I got.
    • Irregular Metronome and Paradox Aeternum: Naruto & High School DxD crossover. The author said it will be harem, but the plot is interesting enough for me to keep reading.