1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel Cinematic Universe General Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Leaked Avengers Infinity Wars Poster

[​IMG]

2. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Time to wake up this thread!

The social media embargo has been lifted and things are looking good.

Jeremy Conrad:

"If you don't see #InfinityWar in theaters, you're going to miss something people will be talking about for generations like the Original Star Wars trilogy or LOTR. It's seriously going to be: LEGENDARY"

Kristian Harloff:

Wow! Marvel dropped all the rules, fists out and what a tornado!! #AvengersInfinityWar was a blast and Thanos just dethroned Killmonger as the champion of villains.

Eric Kohn:

#InfinityWar may be the most expensive Hollywood movie ever designed to mess with its audience. People sure are going to sit through a lot of credits!

David Sims:

i’m actually still up for the INFINITY WAR social embargo! I mostly felt the same way I did about CIVIL WAR. til the last act which is admirably nuts. it’s weightless in that giant crossover way, but then it really goes for it. some stuff made me GRUMPY. I dunno. what a world!

Steven Weintraub:

Jaw on ground. You are not ready for 'Avengers: Infinity War'. All you have to know is AVOID ALL SPOILERS! Seriously. Go in knowing as little as possible. The @Russo_Brothers did the impossible. Wow.

Jordan Zakarin:

AvengersInfinityWar: Imagine taking a giant bowl and filling it with every flavor of ice cream and every topping.

Kevin Smith:

I am overwhelmed. The movie is epic beyond compare. LOVED it. My legs are still shaking. It’s a gigantic @Marvel masterpiece. So much to say but I’ll stay Silent Bob til Monday so as not to slip in spoilers. Suffice to say it’s gonna be a looooong year until @Avengers 4...

Nigel M. Smith:

AvengersInfinityWar is my second fave @Marvel movie after #BlackPanther. The superhero interplay is hilarious and surprising at every turn. The action is monumental. And there are actual stakes this time around. Kevin Feige is not f-cking around with this one.

Mike Ryan:

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR has like ten legit "chill down the spine" great moments. But it's for sure the first half of a two part movie and I left a little unsatisfied/frustrated, maybe by design ... at least that's how I feel right now three hours later.

Newsarama:

We're not touching anything resembling a spoiler right now. But INFINITY WAR IS very much a Thanos movie. Josh Brolin is a revelation. Cable's got his work cut out for him following this...

Matt Singer

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR: A movie version of a massive comic-book crossover, for better (fun character interactions) and worse (it's pretty much all Infinity Stone shenanigans). YMMV. #avengersinfinitywar

Tasha Robinson:

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR is basically CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR times 20, except with less hero-on-hero fighting. I think people who loved the airport fight in CIVIL WAR like I did will go nuts for this film, and people who were bored will be 20 times as bored here. #InfinityWar

Another thing: I've been reviewing films for decades now, and I have never heard an audience react to the end of a film like the #InfinityWar audience reacted tonight. It was an astonishing experience. (And it's another reason I want to see the film again in a packed house.)

Review embargo lifts 4/24 6pm EST.

10 years fellow DLPers...

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I question the guy who said Killmonger is the king of [MCU] villains, but other than that, am hyped.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Worried about that civil war airport comment. I was pretty damn bored during that scene despite the entertaining ant-man and spidey shenanigans.

But it doesn't matter. I will still be seeing it day-of or day-after release.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    I'll probably go next week on a Saturday morning, because of course Saturday 10am will be the only not completely retarded showing that's not dubbed and with English subs. I'd honestly go at 5 am on a Sunday if I could have a showing in English Without.Fucking.Subtitles. Alas, we are not a bilingual nation. Next week to avoid any crowds. I prefer being all alone in a theatre.

6. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I have a ticket to Infinity War in about 11 hours! Will Spoiler a simple review roughly in 14 hours.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'm butthurt that I wasn't able to see Black Panther in time when it was still in theaters.

Now I'm going to have to ask Jack Sparrow to show me a shit-quality version before I'll go see Infinity War.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm traversing the same seas, mi matey.

Its not even at the dollar theater anymore.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    I was in that boat, yarr. I'm sure it looked better in theaters, but I didn't really enjoy the content of it. Massive hype raked in a billion dollars, but Black Panther was much less of a draw in his own film than as a side character in Civil War. Imo MCU Panther is one of those characters that shine brightest in the background. Sorta like Amt-Man actually.

People apparently loved Shuri (Panther's sister) but she just got on my nerves.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    I didn't watch Antman..don't really care to...

Super excited for Infinity War though... My girl had never seen any of the movies...so we spent the past month watching them all. Only two we didn't see were Antman and Black Panther.

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    Okay, I shat all over Ant-Man and Panther, but the chief of better-as-a-sidekick is Hulk. You put yourself through TIH but skipped Ant-Man?

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    Oh...the Incredible Hulk is technically part of marvel isn't it? Nope. We didn't watch that one either. Completely forgot about it.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ant-Man is an odd one, for me. When I watch it, I really enjoy it, fully on board with the concept, the jokes, the daft set pieces...and then a week later I'm all "Oh yeah, Ant-Man, that happened."

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Everyone forgets about that one, including Marvel people. ;)

The first spoilers are in, people who want to avoid them should be careful around the Internet.

Assuming they're correct, most people reading them don't have much problem with them. There shouldn't be any TLJ like arguments in the fandom.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The great thing about phase 1-3 is that every story is relatively self-contained save for the Cap films and the collab films. You could easily get away with skipping almost everything that doesn't involve an infinity stone and probably still have a fairly firm grasp of what's happening.

16. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watched IW last night. Was pretty awesome but at the same time I had a few complaints about some things. Not sure how DLP is handling spoilers (Even if they're in Spoiler Tags) for this movie so I'm not gonna say anything.

That sounds about right. I would say that the following movies are required:
    • Avengers
    • Avengers: Age of Ultron
    • Captain America: Civil War
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.1 (Maybe Vol.2 as well?)
    • Doctor Strange
    • Thor: Ragnarok
    • Captain America
    • Black Panther
    I would make an argument for at least one, if not all, of the Iron Man movies as Tony is a big part of the movie. Maybe Spider-Man Homecoming as Tony and Peter's relationship is kind of important in Infinity War.

And I now realise that list is composed of more than half of the movies.

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Black Panther is fully skippable. All the movie actually did arc wise was develop T'Challa and the Wakandans. If you go into Infinity War knowing Wakanda is taking a more active role in the affairs of the planet, you'll probably be fine.

Homecoming is great fun, but also fully skippable. You get enough of the Tony Peter dynamic in Civil War.

18. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Going to see Infinity War at midnight tonight :D

19. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I try to forget that movie even existed. It was that awful.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I actually preferred Hulk 2003 (extended cut) despite a few really subpar effects. It felt like a trip with beautiful camera work. The 2008 version felt just empty to me though it's a far more streamlined experience in line with the Marvel movie universe.

20. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Just got back from Avengers: Infinity War.

Massive game-changer. Assume nothing. The entire MCU will be different after this.

Go see it now.