1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Weren’t Stannis and Selyse married a couple weeks later? Noone’d have known Janna was pregnant. Sure, Stannis dishonored her and all that, but mehhh. It could go either way imo.

2. Silveron

Silveron First Year

High Score:
    I would but if it's in the Library > Other > Misc > Books (which I spent forever looking for because I'm an idiot), I don't have permission to raise a review for it.

3. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    Okay, so if I recall correctly there was a joke about a Batman and asoiaf crossover after a fic where Roose Bolton suddenly became a ninja in some random chapter of some random story. Well, apparently Serpentguy decided to put some words to paper and it's actually pretty entertaining. I just hope that he's able to finish his ideas and not spread himself too thin with all his projects. It has a little of a slow start and apparently has very little priority on his list of stories to update but he's got already got over 50k words and there's enough potential to have me excited. Oh and it's the Nolan origin if anyone was wondering. He's set up a couple of major Batman villains quite well, Bane and the Joker are alterations on a couple of notable Westerosi figures. Appropriation at it's finest all things considered.

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.c...ht-of-the-seven-kingdoms-asoiaf-batman.44529/

Word to the wise, chapter six hasn't been thread marked so don't read it in reader mode unless you want to miss a pretty cool chapter.

Anyone else got any recommendations...?

4. serpentguy

serpentguy Second Year

High Score:
    Oops, chapter 6 threadmarked now, i missed that. Although my advice is to read the story on Spacebattles - I do error checking on SB, SV not so much.

5. Hush

Hush Seventh Year

High Score:
    So, the Dark Knight of the Seven Kingdoms updated again on SB and it's another Tywin and Bruce interaction. Man, this has become the thing I look forward to updating the most. That burning chair was sensational, @serpentguy.

My only problem with this jumping timeline is that the flash forward stuff is so much more enthralling. It's quickly becoming the meat that shows the most inspired parts of the story that I think the Serpentguy wants to get to. Heck, that's where the payoff will be. I just hope he'll (relatively) quickly resolve the two plot lines together because I really want to see Wayne Industries up and running at some point and LF seems like he's gonna be the spearhead for that venture.

I now think it's safe to say that you've become the godfather of asoiaf fics. The update pace, the quality, heck everything is on point. I'd love to hear some other people's thoughts. I'm trying to be vague because I'm not sure whether or not people have read this one, or if they're just uninterested. But it's well worth the read.

6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I haven't seen anyone post anything about this, but Droman updated A Dragon of the North like a month ago. Seems like the story is gonna be exclusively on SB going forward.

7. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The last update I see was April 2017.

8. CrackedMind

Well, i'm pretty sure it's an update that wasnt posted on SV. But yeah, sorry for the false alarm guys. Was really high when I posted that and saw "update I hadnt read yet" and "April" and sort of ignored the year next to the date. My bad.

9. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Flash-forwards are great, but I wouldn’t say the OT isn’t just as great tbh. I like world/character building almost more than I do action though, so ymmw.

Anyway, great story. I know fuck all about Batman but you really don’t need to to be able to follow the story just fine. Treat Bruce as an OC if you want and it’s still just a really good story.

10. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So, I just read my way through this to the most recent update, and I’ve got to say, the author has done a spectacular job with the world building. If I hadn’t already known these characters, it would be seamless.

Not to mention he absolutely hooked me with the flash forward scene to 280 AC. I started reading it, realized what was going on, put on the Dark Knight soundtrack from Nolan’s movies and ... well, it was pretty perfect.

11. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, was scrolling through ao3 the other day and dwellingondreams has made some decent asoiaf fics, they're all mostly long, not a lot of spelling mistakes and they're stories that usually have decent plotlines. I think the Sansa and Arya personality switch is one of the better ones, as it's not a fix fic but most of them have canon details only moderately changed and the characters are mostly in character in spite of those changes.

I haven't read the Elia Martell/Tywin fic or the girl!Jaime one, but other then those, I think the weakest is the short character piece of oc clegane girl/tyrion about how much of a bastard Tywin is, next is probably the Lysa/Eddard one (because she's annoying as a protagonist), the Fem!Eddard is probably the most fix-it fic which made it annoying.

Overall, though I think the author usually writes 2/5-4/5 fics consistently and in the spirit of change or something I'll recc one of their fics later.
    On a sidenote, their one hp fic is pretty good as well, it reminds me of that old character piece on Binns.

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I only read the beginning of the Arya!Sansa one.

But the casual disregard for the timeline and basic logic in the name of railroading the plot just made me x the hell out of it.

13. CrackedMind

So Dragon of the North updated yesterday. We're in the final home stretch, there's just epilogues after this.

14. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Thank fuck

15. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

The first chapter started good then Jon has an angst-attack (think panic attack but with angst) and gets beat up. Jon is 20 and still angsting come on fanfic author you started so well! And then the shipping..

On a side note about Jon's characterization in general, in fanfic, yes he has some angst but everyone dials it up so high that he hardly resembles the character from the books. I blame the show. Book Jon makes Jon 'Kit Harrington' Snow look like a ballerina.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I managed to get pretty far in the White Wolf of Westeros. It's probably been talked about here before since it's 250k words long, but I haven't read every post in this thread. Its a Witcher/Got crossover... and it sucks. I was kinda into it to begin with, since the author seemed to have an okay handle on things. But, at it's core, it's a canon rehash. I know a fair bit about rehashes, since that's pretty much all I write, but this one is so dull. The author uses his foreknowledge blatantly to set up events for Geralt to get intermingled with, to the point where he's practically given half of the other characters lines for no real reason. Yet, despite his presence in this universe, nothing actually changes. He's there when Jon goes North to the wall, he's there when Bran falls, he rides south with Ned... it's just all pointless since everything just plays out exactly the same, to the point where the author is just ripping dialog right from the tv show. There are hints of other things happening in the background, but as far as I can tell, it's just a balance of maintaining the status quo.

Worst part is maybe how easily Geralt is willing to divulge his secrets. Like, within an hour of meeting Tobho Mott (because of course it had to be him) he's telling him he's from another world, and giving him a chest full of exotic blueprints and materials. Now, I didn't actually finish the published chapters. I tried, I tried real hard, but I just couldn't take it any more, but I read up through about chapter 18, which is about 3/4 of the way in.

On a different note, I'm 10 chapters in to Purple Days, and so far, it's excellent. After giving up on White Wolf (and a subsquent attempt to read "the difference one can make" and failing) I was desperate for anything, so I picked this one up and was pleasently surprised. I'm not usually into the whole time loop thing, as it's quite over done on SB, and I'm not really a fan of Joffrey, but in small doses, I'm willing to give it a try, and so far it's been interesting. I like the introductory prologue the most of any of the loops, but judging by the word length, I still have a long ways to go. Not sure how someone managed to write 450k words of this, but I'll find out.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  17. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Purple Days is ok. Well at least until it gets to the weird Yi Ti part where the premise falls away and it pretty much becomes original fiction, and the author doesn't quite manage to pull it off. Abandoned it there and haven't gone back to check on the past YiTi chapters.

18. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I've been following Purple Days for quite a while now, and I find it enjoyable. There are some arcs that are overly long and I'd imagine it would be difficult to read through it in one sitting, but there's quite a few good action setpieces along the way. On the other hand there's quite a bit of angst and weird magical alien creatures that are behind everything, so YMMV. I probably wouldn't recommend anyone to start reading the story as it's just so huge and repetitive, but reading it bit by bit as it's being published has been good fun.

The latest arc is Joffrey's first actual attempt to make a difference in the war against White Walkers, so that should tell something about the pacing. The previous few has had Joffrey trying to find out more about. Also don't be fooled by the prologue!Joffrey, he is not going to become that version of himself at any point.

19. Dagro

Dagro DA Member

I really hated Purple Days and dropped it the same arc as most people. This is kind of sad since the premise could be very interesting if well done.

@White Wolf of Westeros, is Geralt being called 'Sir Whitewolf'? :D Not touching this with gloves. :3

@Thread, https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10160644/1/The-Open-Way is now at chapter 94, beyond the wall and Jon is about to meet Bloodraven.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  20. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've really been enjoying Purple Days.

I'll admit, the Yi-Ti arc felt overly weighted - we had so much time spent there, and it so heavily influenced Joffrey's character, in comparison to all the other events he's been through - and I'm not sad it's over, but the plotline seems to be moving more now. Also, it has fuckhuge chapters, which is always nice.