1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Mafia Game thread] What mafia is this?

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Sooh, May 31, 2018.

1. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Yeah I lied, I dont have time to make a read. Work work work.

2. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

So you didn't become a pokerstar the other day?

Sad times. Good luck!

3. Sooh

Sooh First Year

High Score:
    Vote count:

Miner (2): Vaimes, Gemma,

Fluff (1): Jan,

Fable (1): dC,

Gemma (2): Tammy, Fable,

Jan (1): Fonti,

Newcomb (1): Miner,

Not voting (5): Jarizok, Newcomb, Zenzao, Fluff, Cobalt,

With 13 alive it takes 10 to hard lynch.

[​IMG]

4. Tammy

Tammy First Year

High Score:
    So other half came home this morning and was like "Let's have mimosas," so now I'm tipsy and tired cuz I only had like four hours of sleep so I'm wooooo and going to go take a nap, but gonna ramble a little first.

Last night I considered being a kook and moving my vote to Miner but then he made that ooooooooook Newcomb's not reading my posts post and that felt vaguely townish.

I want to look back at Zen's argument against Gemma, because while I remember liking the apologetic stuff, I think one of the things he didn't like was that she was too similar to last game where she was town while also thinking I looked town for being similar to last game. I'm not sure if this is a real issue I'm having, just something that struck me as maybe off that I want to remember to look back at later.

If people are going to start writing in other languages, I can write in Latin! I'm quite rusty and could use the practice :p

I don't know if it is for Jan specifically, but I didn't think that the people who aren't voting might contain scum thing felt like fake content? That's something that I tend to look for on day one at my homesite because quite a lot of times one or two scum can be found in those non-voters day one. So that really didn't seem off to me.

Fable there's another almost town game we played together because we were both in the invitational game at mafia universe a couple months ago, but you replace out right? Weren't you the cookie guy who did the American schtick? I was Chocolate.

I didn't mindmeld so much with Gemma on Newcomb because of what she was saying because I don't really read people that way or how I remember of what she posted being off with Newcomb. When I reread it I might get a sense of what she was saying better, my mind meld was just that he felt off. In that invitational game, I thought Newcomb replaced in and I thought the manner of his replace in was really scummy because it was so off from what I expected to feel about his catch up. Basically he came in seeming like he was going to be serious about catching up...but then fizzled a bit. So my read on that guy was totally for the wrong reasons, he was scum but he was not newcomb. But what I felt last night was a very close approximation to what I felt in that game, except this really is newcomb.

I did like that he pointed out the same things with Gemma that I had questions about, and I know he inned with low effort, so maybe my expectations of what I think newcomb would be and do don't completely mesh with the reality, but my initial impression is that I have my eye on you newcomb!

I think I'm going to take a nap now.

5. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Fable why are you voting me?
    --- Post automerged ---
    I can't believe you said my read on you was stretchy.

6. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Catharsis.

7. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Hi.

I think I’m having an easier time townreading Gemma now that she isn’t yelling at me.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Also Tammy. Tammy is pretty town.

Jan and Newcomb are town for bad reasons.

The free wifi here doesn’t actually work.

Bye.

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

This feels like posturing, in a fake way.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Thumbsup.gif
    --- Post automerged ---
    This is probably something that's not terribly difficult to fake, but it feels genuine.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think if wolf!dC were going to play this card, he'd be doing so early and often and like... more strenuously. It would be such an easy card to play given the circumstances. I like how this is just like, inserted into the discourse and then dropped, rather than dC continually hitting the button, so to speak.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Is this a read on Miner, or a critique of his playstyle, or...?
    --- Post automerged ---
    Bouncing off Gemma's earlier Miner point, I think this is another instance of the same thing, where there's a disconnect between jokey/serious - like, Miner lampshading his vote on Gemma, which looked like a joke post, then when prodded says it's a serious vote, then when Zen chides him for OMGUS he replies with a joke.

I kind of buy each statement from Miner in a vaccum, like I'd read each of those posts and go "yeah sure Miner being Miner," but this seems like... schizophrenic, like there's no real weight or oomph behind the whole thing, like Miner is like... trying on different hats, trying to make something work? is the best way I can describe it.

9. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

What bad reasons?

10. Newcomb

Hum.

I read it as I guess a level past that, where it almost feels like... over-compensating? Or I guess said another way, it feels like your interpretation is something Gemma would know and try to emulate. I think it hinges on if you believe the hyperness is organic or if it's faked, which, ehhhh.

11. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Hi I am alive

I will begin to catch up when I get home from work, which should be in about ~9 hours.

12. Newcomb

Okay, so like.

I don't think I've ever been more conflicted about a post in any mafia game ever.

I think the first bolded red section is a very classic, extremely wolfy direction to argue - defensive, hedge-y, leaving herself an out, all that. It's a line from The Book of Wolfing 101.

The green bolded part is something that I feel on a spiritual level, particularly this game, and I think that kind of simultaneous admission of weakness but conviction of strength is pretty hard to pull off as a wolf. Especially when you're directly arguing with someone, it's a nuance that I think doesn't come naturally to many people.

And then the second bolded red is just like... why. You could maybe push it together with the conviction in the previous green bit but on a visceral level it's pretty cringe.gif.

Gemma, can I get a quick and dirty reads list from you? Just a general sense of where you're at in the game.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Talk to me about the Von read. I reeeeeeeeally don't want to go down this road again with you/me/fonti, and I don't think I'm reverse biasing myself because of that, but I'm not super feeling Von as town here.
    --- Post automerged ---
    By "right here" do you mean "in this playerlist", or "in the context of what's currently happening in the game," or just like, on a general level, or what?

13. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Newcomb, what do you think of Tammy, dC, Gemma, Zen as a town list?

14. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Giving yourself the low effort out pregame and still coming in thread fairly early in the day.
    And the way you are acting in the game without going back to the low effort excuse you gave.

Plus you haven't said Bronana once, which gives you half a townpoint.

15. Newcomb

Hum.

In my experience, a certain archetype of wolf tends to hit this particular note more as scum, since they know they have more to apologize for, since they know they're like, "wrongly" attacking villagers.

16. fontisian

If he's scum and feels guilty, why attack her in the first place?

17. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Von .. feels towny. The way he talks mindmelds not just once bet several times is not something that feels like scum!von to me at all.

I don't see him being that direct with pocket attempts over and over again.

18. Newcomb

I honestly don't remember.

For the record, I went back and looked at your post, and it was actually unclear which scumtell you were saying I'd said was a good one, so:

I don't think "people who claim scum" is a scumtell.

I do think there is some validity to "sort by postcount" reads, or at least some correlation between low-posting and >rand wolves.

19. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Because it is not the play one expects from scum?

because he actually realized the similarity in play and thought it to be a good angle to push?

20. fontisian

Sure, but he could push literally anywhere/anything else and not feel guilty about it.