1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Mafia Game thread] What mafia is this?

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Sooh, May 31, 2018.

1. dichotomousCreator

dichotomousCreator Second Year

High Score:
    I mean...

yes by definition?

Given that the goal of the game is sorting players into their correct alignments, beginning to do so is playing the game :V

2. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

He didn't say it, he just insinuated it.

Mostly these two posts.
    The second one makes it clear that he has been townreading stuff I am doing.

And if he was actually scumreading me still he wouldn't have just said "catharsis".

3. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Okay the part where if I actually wolf read you I'd say more than just catharsis is completely true but I actually have no idea where you get me V reading you from that.

4. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    ...uh, those posts are both just him talking about himself in ways that point at how his current play is in fact his village play?

I think I'm missing something here.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Or not :V

5. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Does he talk about stuff when he's town?

I don't disagree that the serious mode thing sounds fake.

What do you think is going through his head with the "you can't read me" thing if he's mafia? Do you think it's scummy because he's having a thought that makes no sense? Like, why would he say that I can't have a read on him while doing alignment indicative things if he's mafia? To discredit me? Something else? Why might he do it as town do you think?

I don't entirely understand what you're scumreading about the last quote. Say more? I agree that it's weird but I think I have different reasons than you. What do you mean by the having the thought should preclude etc. part?
    --- Post automerged ---
    I pushed you on your read on me and you agreed that what you were reading me for was not indicative. Therefore your read on me would be closer to null. You later described things that you think are town and I am doing those things. Therefore your read on me would be closer to town.
    --- Post automerged ---
    "ok fine but I'm annoyed that you have a read on me, you shouldn't have a read on me you should be frustrated with me for not having reads"

The way he answered that just sounds like he doesn't really believe in his scumread anymore. I don't think people really respond to something like that by talking about themselves unless they don't care about it anymore, regardless of how self-centered they are.

6. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    I'm not sure if he finds that much to talk about early on as town, but I wanna say if he doesn't he doesn't post a bunch of fluff, either; he's just either quiet or throws in the occasional meme. The fluff feels almost like he feels obligated to be posting more than that.

I think if he's mafia what's going through his head is "I'll say people can't read me at this point because that's generally true when I'm town". I don't think saying that in and of itself is scummy. The issue is the disconnect with what he's actually DOING (i.e. things he could be readable for) which indicates he's not actually paying attention to his "townplay" which indicates he doesn't care about it all that much.

The last quote is literally him saying this to zen:
    "There's two possible worlds
    1) you're doing an ultra town thing or maybe you're not but even if you are it's still super town
    2) you're scum motivated but really that makes no sense there's no way this is what's going on!"

This indicates a complete lack of skepticism about zen's alignment, which makes phrasing this as a question to zen really weird. What is the purpose of this question? If it's to reaction test zen, why does he need to when the post is so heavy on insisting zen is town? You reaction test people you suspect, generally.

So I think it's not from a town mindset as the town inclination would be to post it as a statement (i.e. "Thread at large: There's two possibilities and the town one is obviously correct so zen is town, pls don't lynch")

7. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Oh, I thought that was just a statement to the board, not a question.

8. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    I have no idea what gemma is talking about but trying to force me to V read her might be villagery?
    --- Post automerged ---
    It was idk what dC is talking about.

9. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Yeah, that's kind of how I felt about it when I first read it. Like there was a disconnect there and it was because he was just going by rote.

10. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    The fact that both people ITT right now are severely misreading my posts troubles me greatly.

11. Fluffiness

Fluffiness DA Member

Misreading the fact that you're just playing rng?

12. dichotomousCreator

High Score:
    It's very specifically phrased with "you" as the pronoun in place of zen, and thus directed at him.

13. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    I mean basically?

IDK how they're doing it tbh but unlikely they're both wolves (I'm kinda v reading gemma slightly now) so I'm not gonna call it wolfy at all just bizarre.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Yes the "you" meaning zen who I was talking to. I was describing the two possibilities in my head and idk how you get a question out of that.

14. Tammy

Tammy First Year

High Score:
    I'm going to sleep, sorry. I've got a migraine and don't feel well. I was hoping I'd feel better after eating dinner, but I don't.

I've gotten up to your response to Newcomb and I'm interested in his response there. The ensuing conversation pretty much became words, so I'm giving it up and packing it in and going to sleep and picking it up tomorrow.

I should be around off and on for a good portion of tomorrow.

15. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

I thought that thing from him was weird because the first point seems not at all indicative to me and the second point was a really odd angle to look at there. Like, he's hyperanalyzing this one thing that I don't think anyone would pick up on and saying that Zenzao is town for it, and then he's undercutting his reasoning in a weird way and saying that if Zenzao was scum trying to fake that then it wouldn't be optimal which doesn't make sense as a thought to me? Playing suboptimally isn't a good reason to townread someone and certainly not in that context.

It feels played up I guess in an almost TMI way. Kind of reminds me of the way that tom talks about tiny little things that are supposedly indicative to look like he's doing things when he's mafia but it's just so inane that no one cares and he gets away with another post that contributes to the "tom exists in the most forgettable way possible" thing that he loves.

Anyway I haven't really expressed myself very well here but yeah there are a bunch of layers to it and it's weird. I don't know how to read it honestly.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hugs.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Hi fluff.

16. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    Is assuming people arn't going to play poorly really that weird? Like village plays bad all the time sure but I think wolves are less likely to make mistakes concerning the things I mentioned with zen that would be easily avoidable.

I really don't know where you guys are getting lost here.

17. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Probably the question mark.

Newcomb also needs to respond to fonti's thing that Jan garcia'd.

18. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I didn't think this was a thing that actually happened to people.

19. Fable

Fable First Year

High Score:
    That was to denote me being unsure, wasn't a question.

20. Gemma

Gemma Sixth Year

Saying that someone is probably town because it would suboptimal to fake having two tabs open is a super weird thought to have as town?

Having two tabs open isn't alignment indicative at all, is the problem. I don't get how you think it could be. When I roll scum I have tons of tabs open.