1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Cyberpunk 2077

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by MrINBN, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Welp, so much for gameplay footage. Demo was shown behind closed doors, every gaming website can't stop talking about it, but IMO it's absolutely worthless to me to hear the so called gaming journalists talk about it, when gameplay footage exists that could just present it way better than they ever could. Some people are saying they might show footage with Geoff Keighley, but I doubt it.

Some info from the IGN and Gamespot interviews:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds fun as shit. Give me gameplay naaoooooo.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Not happening.

[​IMG]

I admit, this bothers me a great deal more than I expected. If the game isn't ready, if you can't show us anything, why bother bringing it up in the first place? I mean, other than just building up hype.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm rather annoyed they're not showing gameplay, not gonna lie. It's really not that different to show a bunch of journos and let them talk about it, versus letting it out into the wild.

This really feels like a naked hype move, trying to build suspense or some other such bollocks, and I'm definitely not a fan of it.

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't mind honestly.

It's been -years- since anything about Cyberpunk had been mentioned. The information is good enough for me.

6. Agayek

I mean, the info is nice and all, but it's a bit of a cocktease to say you're gonna show gameplay, and then only show it to journos. It's technically not a lie, in pretty much the same way bullshots and "vertical slice" shenanigans aren't, but that doesn't make it any less of a dick move.

I'm more disappointed than anything else, really. I thought CDPR was better than that.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because by and large, the general public is stupid. They'll see the game in an unfinished state and judge it then.

They're not EA. They've earned your patience and trust and want to make sure that the first time they show it, it'll be incredible.

Just be patient. I can fully understand if you're not interested in the media's take on it, neither am I. The media are however unlikely to hammer them on bugs in the current build like the general consumer would if they saw it.

Completely understandable imo. That's why I predicted it ;)

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

The first piece of original fiction I ever read on the internet, back in the late '90s, was based on the author's experiences playing the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG. I always thought it would be interesting to play.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be getting the money from me that Fallout 76 won't... although that's probably not a relevant statement, since Fallout 76 will be out this year...

Still, I'm pretty jazzed about this game. I could barely scrape together enough people to play the occasional game of D&D, back in the day, I certainly wasn't going to be finding people to play Cyberpunk. In fact, I don't think I ever saw one of the books, in person... unless Waldenbooks had one or two.

As long as it doesn't have the same control scheme as the first Witcher game. ;)

9. Agayek

Oh I don't mind them not having a public display. I'd have had zero issue if they didn't show anything but the trailer from the Microsoft show (I think, whatever one it was), or if this bit with the journos had been a surprise.

My only issue is the bait and switch, where they implied we'd get to actually see it, and then only show it to journos, cuz it reeks of hype-building, like that it's more important to tease the customers and whet their appetites than let the game stand on its own merits.

I just have a knee-jerk negative reaction to such maneuvers, grown over the last several years of blatant lying from the game industry, and I'd thought CDPR was better than engaging in such practices themselves. It's not a deal breaker or anything, just disappointing.

10. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

They never said we'd get to see/play it. just that more info would be available once coverage started.

11. Arthellion

High Score:
    I really like where they are going with this.

Seems you have a lot more control over who your protagonist is in this game. Something I really appreciate.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Aye. And the tidbit about the arm blades being a melee weapon you can mod yourself with in game puts the original E3 trailer in a whole new light regarding char customization. I had always assumed that the MC was the soldier holding the gun to the female augment's head. Essentially you would be part of an elite combat unit in a lawless noir cybercity.

Nopity Nope Nope.

You're the female augment who just murdered a whole fuck ton of people.

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why not both?

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I think the overall plot has shifted since the original trailer, which implied that we would be part of a Psycho Squad dealing with people suffering from Cyberpsychosis, with the possibility of recruiting them to our squad.

It also makes me wonder how they're going to address Cyberpsychosis, as it's a fairly integral part of the Cyberpunk universe.

15. Arthellion

High Score:
  16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

@Agayek: I agree with you thoroughly on this. We were just teased mercilessly with how fucking amazing it all is, but at the last moment they say "You can't see it, but these guys can". If the game isn't ready for showing, then they should have kept their mouths shut on the gameplay. Maybe they shouldn't have shown even show the trailer, if they wouldn't back it up with public release of gameplay footage to accompany it. I remember them saying years back how they wouldn't show anything until they were ready, but as it turned out they would only show it to a pre-selected crowd of people while we got zilch.

I saw in one of their Twitter replies that they wanted to avoid the backlash they got from showing Witcher 3's gameplay at one of the E3's, due to changes the game had undergone from then to release, which was completely legitimate because the lighting was different, the water didn't look like an oil spill, and overall the E3 footage of W3 was better than what we got at release. Mods can help you in making it look somewhat similar, but they can't really bring back all the stuff that CDPR originally showed us because it was more than just lighting that got changed.

The worst part is probably how there's people out there literally jumping down your throat if you actually voice your discontent with the state of things (being teased about gameplay footage, then being denied seeing it), and when you ask them why shouldn't people be allowed to see it, they just keep replying with "They [the public] couldn't understand that it's early game footage" and "They'd just nitpick over every single bug" and "Gaming journalists understand things like WIP, bug, placeholder, etc.", as if we were somehow mentally impaired and incapable of processing these things without someone else to help us along the way.

All in all, I'm not happy with CDPR right now. Yeah, I'll get the game eventually, no doubt about it, but this whole thing has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Anyway, enough doom and gloom, here's Cyberpunk 2077 screenshots in 4k, from Gamersyde. Some of these we've already seen, albeit in lower res, some of them we haven't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

@Odran You aren't the demographic that they're worried about mistaking unfinished content as final content.

On a side note the majority of your post leaves a bad aftertaste in my mouth. The closest I can get to describing it is that 'You're not wrong, you're just an asshole' meme, though I'm struggling to find a suitable substitute for the descriptor.

18. Arthellion

High Score:
    I don’t see the issue. CD Project Red made no statements that there would be gameplay. They made zero promises.

They don’t owe the consumer anything.

It’s been years since we saw anything about Cyberpunk 2077. The hype and information we got is more than enough.

Gameplay videos will come eventually.

Cool your tits.

You might as well be mad at every other company that didn’t show gameplay for certain games.

There is nothing dishonest or wrong with how they handled this.

Stop being so freaking entitled.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

No, no, you're right, I'm a cantankerous cunt because I'm bitter about the fact that it's five years later and I still don't get to see any gameplay footage, but someone else does.

20. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    There's always the danger that now that CPR has tasted success and grown as much as it has that it will fall into line with the other gaming companies and adopt similar practices.

I'm hoping that doesn't happen of course, but it's a valid concern. A lot is riding on this not only on the game itself but also on whether they handle it with the same honesty as they did Witcher.

Edit: Though to be fair, I'm sure that the game will be amazing and fully plan on getting it even though I usually hate cyberpunk or steampunk or anything with -punk in it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018