1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm up through chapter 20 now. I don't know how long it lasts, but Joffrey is currently in the middle of scout training and fighting some white walkers I guess. I don't think I dislike it.... but I don't really like it either. Maybe I like it more than I dislike it, but not by much. It feels like it's going on forever. I can appreciate that the author tried their hand at some heavy worldbuilding, but it just feels like a mix of different civilizations and feels disjointed. Yet, the lingering impression I have is that they're a bit OP, kinda like the 'ole superwizard ninja schools. Hell, they even use Katanas.

2. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Yi-Ti chapters bored me to tears, and that says a lot since it was a lot of action... boring, repetitive, tired action. I dropped it and waited until it was over. Now it's much better.

3. Anarchy

yeah, I just did a word count and saw I had like 60k more words to go through that... no thanks.

4. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

The Yi-Ti arc could have been pretty awesome if it had been a quarter of the length. I'm not really against ultra creative authors doing their own thing, but that arc went way past some line I didnt know existed. It kind of reminds me of Miranda Flairgolds stuff.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I read Robb Returns

Now as a fic on it's own it's awful and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But it's fascinating in a whole other way. It's the most fix-it fic that ever fixed anything.

Robert discovers a Duarrandion sword that can be used to pretty much instantly tell if Joffery is his son and this somehow inspires him to get buff. Ned gets his own damn direwolf and what can only be described as a truth mace. Jon gets legitimized, than given Dark Sister and a freekin dragon egg. Dany hatches her eggs early. Wildlings get let through the wall and wight bits sent down south right pronto. Hell even Shireen gets healed, Company of the Rose comes North and that is on top of every single person with First Men blood rushing to defend the wall.

Most fix-it fics reach a point where it feels like the author should have just given his chosen protagonist a box with a big red button labeled "Push to vanquish your enemies" and be done with it. Well in this fic that happens like 4 chapters in and somehow it has 400k more words of powering up the characters.

I can't decide if the author is purposefully lampooning fix-it fics or not. But when read as such it's a blast.

6. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Regarding Purple Days, The Yi-Ti arc was definitely the weakest. If you read up to that point, read the first few bits, a chapter in the middle, and then the last one you should be good.

In the author's defence - he's admitted that it was too damned long. Doesn't really help, hindsight being 20-20 and all.

The latest arc is thoroughly entertaining.

7. s0ng2Sing

s0ng2Sing Third Year

Regarding Purple Days, I skimmed through the Yi-Ti arc. That the the lowest point in the fic I felt. Everything after that, especially the most recent chapters have been much better in comparison. Comparing the Yi-Ti arc and that last few chapters are like night and day.

8. Heather_Sinclair

This is awesomely described. ;)

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Robb Returns is 228 chapters long and the matter of Cersei's bastards hasn't been dealt with yet. Since the author is so bent on trying to 'fix' everything, I have to wonder how this will be handled, especially since Jaime is still a major cunt as he was in the first few books.

10. fire

fire Order Member

That's a pretty good summation of Stark wank fix-it fics - all the advantages in the world are given to the author's favourite family, yet somehow nothing actually gets done.

Might as well write "And so Casterly Rock exploded from an excess of whores. The End" and be done with it.

11. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Robb Returns may as well be the ur-Stark Wank fic. It's not the original, but encapsulates so much of the 'genre' and distills it into its purest form.

12. Anarchy

I just finished Purple Days. I binged it pretty hard, I guess. Read everything except for 6 or 7 of the Yi-Ti chapters. Overall, it's an excellent story. And, for how boring I usually find Sansa to be in any story, she was almost interesting here. I'd rate it a 4. I would like to rate it higher, but I can't really just ignore that one arc.

Also, coming to the end has left me thirst for more GoT timeloop fics. A quick search has left me pretty much empty of anything that has gone more than a few chapters, but perhaps I missed others.

13. Heather_Sinclair

The problem with time loop fics is they are usually about fixing what's wrong, and there is a much shorter list about what is actually right about Westeros. It's an insurmountable task that cannot be solved by one person, no matter how many printing presses they invent or canals they dig. One of the things I like about Purple is that everything fails, all the time. No matter what he does, who he kills even in different order, what skills he learns, or who he made friends with, he's fucked and he knows it.

To me, it would be best to have there Others win and end the story that way, or possibly a stalemate of some kind where everything is still fucked. Otherwise it just wouldn't be believable enough to me. But I could be wrong. Maybe I'll be surprised.

14. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I’m honestly surprised there aren’t any time-loops where the MC goes back and attempts to fix things but just ends up either making things worse or fucking everything up.

It would be a very classically GoT approach, and, if nothing else, far more reasonable.

15. Anarchy

I think a similar story to Purple Days could have King Robert as the MC. It would be an insurmountable task with hundreds of deaths because of trial and error.

16. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Valar Boltis by Sanva is a time looper. Basically Jon Snow wakes up at the time of Ghost's birth every time, except ghost is born at different times in different universes. So his future knowledge can be some what faulty. Has little snippets of different timelines he has lived which are really some of the best parts of the story in my opinion.

To Go Forward by togo, and Snowfall by Ruinous Crow, are both just standard Peggy Sues but still meh, if you need that fix.

17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man all of you hate the Yi Ti bits but I’m treating it as pretty much completely original fiction and it’s a blast. (Wrt purple days)

18. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Any Eddard fix it fics?
    Eddard time travel?
    Or Just awesome Eddard ? beside Summer Crowns

19. Heather_Sinclair

All I know about is Sean Bean Saves Westeros. It's a Sean Bean Insert. Strange I know. But it's readable... and finished.

20. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    2 books are finished but the third isn't written yet.
    The author also wrote interesting Robert SI (not finished yet as well)