1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Don't do it Kojima! - MGS: The Movie

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Dango-Fetish, Mar 22, 2007.

?

MGS Movie: Good call?

1. Great idea to make better a great game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. As long as Kojima keeps a tight hold on things; good idea

60.0%
  3. Burn any evidence of this atrocity!

40.0%
  1. Dango-Fetish

Dango-Fetish Fourth Year

Sitting solemnly in the centre of a black hole.
    (I've done I little bit of searching and I'm not certain if a thread like this is already in existence. If so; this is better than bumping it).

MGS: The Movie

I can't say I've gone as far as to buy the old NES games. However, from the moment I bought the first Metal Gear Solid game - way back - I have adored the series. If I had the money, I'd buy a PS3 for no other reason than playing "MGS4: Guns of Patriots".

One of the main things about MGS is the ludicrously long cut-scenes (In fact in MGS 3: Subsistence there is a 3 and a half hour SGI film of the whole game for the watching - most of which are original cut-scenes from the game). And thats okay, for those who are attentive enough to watch and to enjoy the storyline. However, making this into a movie - In my opinion - is not such a great idea.

If Silent Hill is anything to go by,(which did no justice whatsoever to the game) this has failed before it has begun.

Hideo - you've brought MGS this far - Don't fuck it up!

What's your opinion?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  2. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

This is going to flop. There has never been a successful movie-game transition or vice versa. Hell, even the Halo movie is getting dumped by Universal.

3. Dango-Fetish

Dango-Fetish Fourth Year

:cheers: I'll drink to that.

4. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

Indeed I think that should just leave the game alone and leave it at that. If anything MGS 4 will be so pretty it might as well be a movie.

5. crunchyfrog

crunchyfrog First Year

Perhaps, because unlike other computer games, the thing that ,akes MGS good is the fact that it is mainly constructed around a story and is made up of action to video 1:1 parts, it will be a good film. failing that Dango you can sit at the back with a PS2 controller and pretend your playing so you don't have to buy a PS3

6. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

On a side note, while the movie wasn't award winning in quality, Silent Hill is probably the only game to movie adaptation I'll EVER watch. Say what you will about it, it was still cool to see the sights of silent hill hit the big screen. I found it better than resident evil, at least.

Anyhow, this is really just...a very bad idea. What made the game awesome was how it needed to be played. The stealth elements, the sneaking, making a play through was minimal or no kills was a challenge, and that's what made the series legendary. While there may have been others that tried to do the espionage settings, MGS is the only one that truly succeeded.

I mean, not only are there too many games to adapt and I'm sure the producers would screw up somewhere seeing as how their want for flair and wows would kill the experience, but you just can't adapt the games elements to the big screen.

I mean, let's say that they have a two hour max time limit, with one movie and no sequels. Now try to fit the entire epic stories and side stories, the origins of Metal gear, Metal Gear Rex, The Shagohad, Ocelot young and old, The Philosophers Legacy, The Patriots...

You see what I mean? It would be like trying to make...I dunno... A movie out of Windwaker. It just cannot be done.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If its done well it should be bloody amazing. I imagine it will cover some more of the Big Boss backstory, cause that's the best storyline in my opinion. Plus, I wanna see who they get in for Sniper Wolf :p

Aekiel

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

You all are obviously forgetting the cinematic masterpiece that is the Super Mario Bros. movie.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And Resident Evil (not as good as the games but still pretty cool).

Super Mario bros. kicks so much arse its brilliant.

Aekiel

10. Dango-Fetish

Dango-Fetish Fourth Year

Fair point, but there is a world of difference between those and MGS. I'll admit that, if made into a movie, it could be pretty amazing. Equally, however, it could all fall apart (why my vote is in favor of the second option).

As Kaniel said: MGS has a rigid and thick storyline - if it were to be made into a movie this would have to be edited and that is where the problems would occur.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  11. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I am of that belief as well. It's like the Bourne movies. That had really near nothing in common with the books, which were awesome and a fun read. Trying to pack too much into a single 2-hour slot is doomed to fail. Besides, who would play Snake?

On a side note, the Super Mario Bros. movie. That was fantastic...ly bad.

12. C.S.Kaniel

C.S.Kaniel Fourth Year

Oh god, I didn't even think of that. Not only could no one play him properly, but we'd probably see Ben fucking Affleck as him. THAT would be a nightmare.

13. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

David Hayter himself could play Snake quite well, if you give him a beard, a bandana and some cigarettes.

14. Dango-Fetish

Dango-Fetish Fourth Year

Edit: Found some casting recomendations list: http://www.fragland.net/news.php?id=13428&c_page=2

here's one:

a JAMES CAMERON film
    METAL GEAR SOLID THE MOVIE

Solid Snake: David Hayter (Voice of Snake and Big Boss in the MGS games)
    Roy Campbell: Robert Di Niro (Godsend)
    Naomi Hunter: Famke Jansen (X-Men)
    Meryl Silverburgh: Anna Paqiun (X-Men)
    Mei Ling: Zhang Ziyi (Rush Hour)
    Liquid Snake: James Marsters (Buffy TVS)
    Revolver Ocelot: Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal) - FTW :D
    Psycho Mantis: Steve Buscemi (Con Air)
    Vulcan Raven: Tyler Mane (Bandit:Bandit geos Country)
    Sniper Wolf: Nicole Kidman (The Others) - DF looks aprehensive about this one.
    Decoy Octopus: Willem Dafoe (Spidernan) - Eh? not going to see alot of him anways...
    Cyborg Ninja: Donnie Yen (Blade 2)
    Hal "Otacon" Emmerich:Justin Bartha (Failure to Launch)
    Nastasha Romenenko: Izabelle Scorpuo (007:World is Not Enough) (I think)
    Master Miller: Val Kilmer (Top Gun)
    DARPA cheif: Wesley Snipes (The Art of War)
    Kenneth Baker: Bruce Davison (Touched)
    Jim Houseman: Brian Cox (Red Eye)

Who do you think would be the best casting?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007