1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Buffy

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by cdog21, Jun 3, 2007.

1. cdog21

cdog21 Squib

Do you guys know of any good Harry Potter/BTVS crossovers that have a pairing of either Harry/Buffy or Harry/Willow. I got intersted after I checked out Twisting the Hellmouth but combined there were only a little over 50, so I decided to see if you guys knew of any. I already checked the Alternates library and I only found 2 (1 I wasn't interested in because it had RE and the other becasue the premise didn't seem so good). Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

2. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're honestly not going to find any out there. If searched, hundred of times over, and have only found possibly one other tolerable cross-over between the two; and that was just barely tolerable. If I can find it, I'll edit this with the details on it. Usually, Harry just comes in and crushes all the vamps before Voldemorts and them become allies who still don't stand a chance against H/B love

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I like this one quite a bit. It's got the first half of its epilogue, so it should be finished real soon.

4. cdog21

cdog21 Squib

I read that one and I really liked it. Its those kinda stories im talking about good story the pairing im looking for and kinda long chapters 3-4k words. Ive got it on my alert list right now

5. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Nonjon- I thought that one was already up in the library? Hmm, that's why I didn't post it up. Sorry cdog21, but I guess it doesn't matter now

6. jts360

jts360 Second Year

Yeah I also read that one and liked it. However there really are not many harry/buffy stories, at least not of any significant length and quality.

To me it seems like an obvious pairing that should be very popular, but for some reason is not. Oddly enough as far as I can recall there are more btvs/hp crossovers that have slash pairings. For example harry/spike, which really makes no sense (of course few slash stories tend to make sense).

Seems like an avoided and unexplored area to me. Where both hp and btvs separately are already well explored.

7. cdog21

cdog21 Squib

What about good ones that are Harry/Willow. I read the ones at TtH already.

8. Lucinda

Lucinda First Year

(sarcasm) but of course Harry/Spike makes sense! (sarcasm off)
    In all seriousness, most of those fics would be almost exactly the same as a Harry/Draco, except with Spike in as Draco, you get a bit more blood and violence and now it's a crossover... (oops, the sarcasm came back into things.) There has been much fuss in the crossover circles about Spike-Draco comparisons, based on (sarcastic drumroll) they both wear dark clothing, have very pale blond hair slicked back (Spike's hair is bleached, you twits! He's not a natural blond. The books make a very strong case that Draco is a natural blond. Bleach abuse isn't one of Draco's sins. He's got plenty of others to make up for it.) Both are British and are introduced as guys on the wrong side of the good/evil divide. (sarcasm) of course Draco is simply a younger and mortal version of Spike.... (sarcasm off)

All those Harry/Spike fics are probably written by people who think no farther than 'Danny Radcliff = cute! squeee!1! James Marsters = hot! squeee!!1 Slashy goodness! Squeeee!!11!' yeah, the 1's are there on purpose. I have a low opinion of most slash writers. They don't kep anybody in character, and their reasoning for everything seems to come down to 'but they look good together!' I despise that as the reasoning for any pairing. Doubly so for slash, triply so for slash in characters that are presented in cannon as straight. Granted, you might be able to make a case for Draco as gay, but I don't believe it of Harry.

(cuts off grumbles about narrow plot uses of characters with non-traditional roles & abilities. This isn't the place.)

The other big slashy pairing that I see in BtVS/HP crossovers is Harry/Xander, and I can only picture those characters hearing that, spit-taking their drinks and saying some variation of 'what the hell are you smoking?!?'

To go back to the original question, I know there are hundreds of Harry/Buffy fics in the BtVS crossover section at fanfiction.net - at least, judging by the summaries of the fics. I wouldn't be able to tell you which if any of them are good, I don't care for most stories that focus on Buffy (she's not my cup of tea), and many of the summries scare me. They are there, but they may quite easily suck. Or it may be that they appeal to you but not me. BtVS/HarryPotter is a very popular crossover.

9. nonjon

Err... I don't think there are hundreds of Harry/Buffy fics with Harry/Buffy as the primary romantic relationship. If you just mean that as Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer crossover, then yes. There's a number where the scoobs come to Hogwarts (haven't yet found one worth recommending), ones where Willow is a lost Weasley (again... eurgh), and I don't even want to think of the number of times Buffy has secretly been a Potter or a Malfoy (super-BLARG).

Now if I may generalize and stereotype for a moment, I can speculate on exactly why so many of these attempts at crossovers fail miserably. It's because Buffy is a tv show, filled with enough angst, drama, and cute boys that a big portion of its audience are squeeing fangirl types. The ones with usernames like xoxox~TomFeltonsLuv~xoxox. These are the types that go all Linda Blair with their Tom Felton Draco dolls, stabbing their bloody vaginas, and making their mothers eat it. Wait no. They don't do that. Instead they write slash. And want to save Spike. And Snape and Draco. They always are good guys. They always are dashing. Whether its Draco/Buffy or Draco/Willow or some slash combination that'll make your eyes bleed. The types who think Draco=Felton and Snape=Rickman need that piece of visualization to match it with their fangirl obsessions with Buffy's hot hunks of man meat.

I mean checking TTH for Harry Potter crossovers and pairing with Willow. There are 27 fics with Harry/Willow, there are 54 fics with Draco/Willow, and there are 84 with Snape/Willow. I know many are just drabbles or are so short they barely count but still.

This is the sort of audience you're dealing with. And that's why so many of the fics out there suck.

10. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Why not Harry/Faith? Everyone needs a little psycho in their lives. Nah, we have a million tonnes of bad Buffy/Faith in the Buffy fandom. Most of them are smut. Guess which demographic wrote those.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Femmeslash ain't so bad in my opinion :p. Though, most of it is badly written crap, the likes of which slashers and xxxbloodyristsxxx tend to come up with, there are a couple of gems in the sand. Only problem is finding them.

Aek

12. Kung_lou

Kung_lou Sixth Year

Self plug - Chaos on the Hellmouth

Working on the next chapter, so it should breech 50K words soon, ave chapter length ~8K words

It may or may not be a Harry/Buffy but something is going on there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2007
  13. cdog21

cdog21 Squib

WOW. . .I think thats all I can say about that. I mean all I asked was do you guys know of any good H/B or H/W where the heck did slashiness come in. And to mention in crossing I have yet to find a Harry/Faith and im not even gonna try with all the blandness, repetive writing, and same sex things (girl on girl gets boring really quick and boy on boy just squicks me out)

14. nonjon

I know you didn't ask for it, but this is a decent fic that is heading towards Harry/Faith. For me it's second to dellaceour's Harry/Buffy that I plugged above, but this is one of the few Buffy crossovers I happily recommend:
    Though on TTH, I don't think there's a single mention of any Harry/Faith fics. Of course there's a Faith/Kingsley and a Faith/Neville but no Faith/Harry. Audible sigh.

15. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Faith/Neville? :confused:

What sicko would do that to poor Neville?

16. nonjon

After your comments, I decided to read it. It's not bad. Pretty sweet. A bit on the fluffy side of course but for some reason I can completely see their differing personalities working.

17. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

Huh. Well good for Neville! 4/5 I 'spose. Thanks for the unusual rec there nonjon.

18. cdog21

cdog21 Squib

Hey Non that was a good find on that Harry/Faith deal. In fact I think I should clarify my question as do any of you guys know of any good stories that have Harry paired with one of the hotties from BTVS. But I still can't see Neville and bad girl Faith being in the same room without him blushing and running away.

19. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

My current favorite Buffy/HP crossover; Shackelbolt is actually used as a real character and not just another meat shield, an evil corporate empire, and enough zombies to shake a stick at.

Good times!

20. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

I never get that saying, wouldn't you only need one zombie to shake a stick at?