1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PatronusCharm, Dresden Files, and You

Discussion in 'PatronusCharm' started by Lord Ravenclaw, May 10, 2008.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Dresden-Files Library Project? :?

But to Raven's OP. I wouldn't mind seeing Dresden fics on PC, as long as it is clear which is which. Since they're both Harry, judging that by summary only could get confusing. Different categories on the site or an extension of the tagging system could work, although I think it would have to be enforced; you'd have to have it tagged either way before being able to post it. Also, if it comes, I’d like an extra category for crossovers, because I prefer not-crossed stories.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. Anubis

Anubis Seventh Year

Expanding PC is probably a good idea. I don't see why we shouldn't allow the Dresden fans somewhere to read/host the quality fics.

As has been said before though, I don't think it would be appropriate to mingle the two together - there are people out there who only like one and not the other, and it'd be awkward having to trudge through lists searching not only for a specific genre fic but also one that is the right category too.

Having a HP category with all the current sub categories in and the same for a Dresden category would be the best way to go about it imo. Keeps everyone happy and keeps the site clearly structured, seperating the two.

Personally though I don't agree with the suggestion about changing DLP's name. Currently, we're still massively HP focused and as such are a HP site more than anything else. If anything Dresden Files just feels tacked on at the bottom of the forums rather than a main focus. Without an overhaul to make the site more generally focused I don't believe it would be appropriate to change the name.

4. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Meh, Dresden needs a forum totally separate from Harry Potter run by the people from DLP, Dark Lord Dresden (DLD) ;) This site already has a strong reputation as a Harry Potter forum, it may be hard to get people to think of this as a Dresden Files forum too.

A fanfiction site would be awesome too. As for a separate section on Patronus Charm; I don't know. A name like Patronus charm just screams Harry Potter and most people looking for Dresden fics may not think of going there. I think Surarrin had a Dresden fan fiction site, not sure what happened to that.

5. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

d.dd.o has a sekrit section only a few people know about. <.<

edit: but yeah i think he means http://fanfiction.demonsdesire.org/ <~ but the mysql fucked up like over nine months ago deleting most of the crap on it and i never bothered to fix it.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Personally, I like putting both DF and HP fics on the one site. Sets an easier precedent if something else new and exciting appears, or if one of the regulars here whips up a non-HP or DF fic and wants to put it somewhere without it being drowned in FFN slashbunnies.

9. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Uh. I'm confused. Can't you just do it like ff.net and still have it be called PC, but have two sections -- Dresden and HP?

And I vote nay on changing the name of the site. It just wouldn't be the same to me. I like the name of the site. It's so ingrained in my mind that when I was researching televisions to buy, the acronym DLP kept throwing me the fuck off. I want my nostalgia, faggots.

10. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Unfortunately I have to agree with Sree, DLP should keep It's name.

Not because the name has earned itself some respect and popularity over the years...

Not because it would force some of the members who aren't dresden fans to leave....

Mainly because, with our luck some slash writer will snatch up the domain and we'll have to sit back and watch as emo, goth, ginny loving, draco pumping, snape fathering, mpreg Harry's break the internet under our name.

11. Void Sorcerer

Void Sorcerer Groundskeeper

Allow Dresden Files Fics onto PC, why not? But like has been said before, keep them separated, and separated well, IMO.

Changing the name of the site... are you kidding me? I can't believe you'd even suggest that.

12. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Agreed. Just keep it separate and there shouldn't be any problems.

13. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Oh, shit. I hadn't thought of that. I've changed my mind, let's keep the name.

(I mean, it's bad enough that there are so many shitty fic's out there named 'Dark Lord Potter')

14. Tehan

What happens to crossovers if the Dresden and HP fics are so well-separated?

15. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Either create a crossover section, or put the crossovers that take place in the Dresden universe in the Dresden section, and vice versa.

16. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Messy.

Just tag them HP, Dresden, and Crossover. It's relatively simple and efficient to setup, use, and administrate. As a reader, I'd appreciate it when it comes time to start searching for fics by tags/categories.

The other advantage to it is that it's easily extensible. Suppose that we fall in love with another series in a few years time, or want to add other Butcher works like Codex Alera. Just add one more story tag for that 'verse (and some hopefully simple back-end work) and it's done.

The idea of using a different front-end and URL for Dresden-focussed users is a good one, but it feels like a lot of work on cosmetic frippery at this point. Ravenclaw only has so much time on his hands. Also, he'd have to duplicate this effort for every added 'verse in the future.

I agree that if we want to be serious about becoming the major non-crap Dresden fanfiction archive then a name and URL change wouldn't be unreasonable. Perhaps everyone sees exactly the same content with just different CSS for the front-end depending on which URL they came through, the Dresden or the HP one.

17. Zyloch

Zyloch Fourth Year

I don't see, as I said before, why we can't just use the tagging system to separate the two. Make a new "category" tag that will create links to separate parts of the site to Dresden and HP. If Raven has the time, he can even create a new table/field in the DB that can link to a new CSS style for each 'category' tag in the vein of csszengarden.

For crossovers, you can just tag a story with both category tags. It will appear under both categories, but it should be very easy to filter out crossovers (which can even be the default), by loading just stories with one category tag.

18. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I think that would get too messy. They need to be separate or it would get confusing for people only looking for certain fics and so forth. As for the name I recommend Dresdenphiles.
    *ducks*

19. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I go to Patronus Charm because I *know* I'll find top quality HP stories. Having a Dresden and a HP/Dresden Crossover category works for me, because I'll still have be able to trust in the quality of the stories.
    I'm far more worried about mpreg, non-con "romance," and poor grammar than about genre. If it's labeled by fandom, then I'm ALL for it.

20. Tehan

Tag crossovers with HP and Dresden and also a Crossover tag, then make it fairly simple to filter out certain tags.